Bitch or Male?

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I was wondering what are the pros and cons to owning a Bitch Show Dog and a Male Show Dog?

^^ This would be for the Golden I want to get! :D

I mean I know that you cannot show a bitch when in heat....and a Male can have, male DA!

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
I dont Show my dogs but I do Hunt Test competitions. The problem with owning a female is this
Training is tough cause many bitches loose thier brains when they are in heat so there goes a month of training:mad:
Then if they go into heat during competitions you have to scratch out of the entries you have already paid for:mad:

If you dont plan on breeding I would get a male. You can always use him to stud out if he accomplishes a title.;) :)

tempura tantrum

Shiba Inu Slave
Without hesitation- GET A MALE.

Besides having to deal with the messiness of the heat cycle, bitches tend to blow their coat when it happens too. It's an absolute PAIN, and somehow ALWAYS happens right before a show date.

Most breeders will probably be less-likely to sell a newbie a bitch for their first show dog as well.

My first show dog is a bitch, but I have her on a co-ownership.

AND I can tell you that my NEXT show dog will be a male- until I'm TRULY ready to start my own breeding program, I'd like to be able to show an animal that doesn't get PMS the same time I do. (Horrible joke...but it's really true).

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Remember why Lassie was always a male in the movies?
ROFL, no...I never watched Lassie :p :rolleyes:

Without hesitation- GET A MALE.

Besides having to deal with the messiness of the heat cycle, bitches tend to blow their coat when it happens too. It's an absolute PAIN, and somehow ALWAYS happens right before a show date.

Most breeders will probably be less-likely to sell a newbie a bitch for their first show dog as well.

My first show dog is a bitch, but I have her on a co-ownership.

AND I can tell you that my NEXT show dog will be a male- until I'm TRULY ready to start my own breeding program, I'd like to be able to show an animal that doesn't get PMS the same time I do. (Horrible joke...but it's really true).
ROFL @ the PMS as the same time I get it thing!!

So I male would be a better choise?

Toller_08

It's up to you. I'm hoping to show my next dog and will be getting a bitch (I have no choice with Winston in the family, as male Dobes shouldn't live with other males...that, and I just prefer almost everything else about females..). In my opinion, one gender isn't better than the other in general. It depends on which you prefer. Bitches will lose their coat when they're in heat, and as was stated above, it can be very messy. Especially with a long coated breed. They also tend to 'lose their brains' and won't focus on anything for a few weeks except finding a male. Likewise, if an intact male senses a bitch in heat, he will also lose his brains and it can be hard to get him to relax and stop looking for her. Intact males also tend to mark a lot (usually not in the house though). Having an intact dog, no matter what gender, can be a lot more difficult at times than if that dog were altered. All of that being said, a male would probably be the better choice for you and will also be easier to aquire.

Last edited:

showpug

Chances are, a breeder will only sell you a male first time around. Many breeders are VERY careful with who they place their bitches with. I would definintley say start out with a male. I prefer females though. My first show dog was a bitch on a co-ownership. I like the attitude and edginess of the females. And just an FYI, you CAN show a bitch in heat, you just need to be polite and tell the judge before she goes over her. I personally think it's the males that lose their brains when a bitch is in heat in the ring next door!

RD

Are you dead yet?
I wouldn't want to deal with a Golden blowing her coat every time she comes out of season. That's a LONG time that you can't show because you're waiting for her coat to grow back.

Males *can* have male-male aggression, but I wouldn't worry about it much in a Golden. Well-bred Goldens tend to be very polite with other dogs, provided they are well trained and socialized.

I agree with the others that if you aren't seriously thinking of breeding and mainly want the dog as a pet/show dog, a male would be the better choice. :)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Honestly, they're much more likely to sell you a male. I've got two male show potentials, and I'm hoping for a bitch the next time. Beau's breeder said she'd help me find one in a year or two when I'm ready. Males are a lot more easy going imo and heat is a pain to deal with.

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
Honestly, they're much more likely to sell you a male. I've got two male show potentials, and I'm hoping for a bitch the next time. Beau's breeder said she'd help me find one in a year or two when I'm ready. Males are a lot more easy going imo and heat is a pain to deal with.
Good Lord your dog is stunning! I just love that breed - so sweet!

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
I read where Lassie was always a male because they are larger and have heavier coats. Still I imagine episode shooting was rarely held up due to PMS. lol.

I got a female because I fell in love with her face the day she was born. But to be honest, I prefer male pets. I think male cats are way more flexible.

bubbatd

I personally am more partial to a well bred male Golden . I loved my females , but found my males more in tuned with me .

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Same with Aussies...the females are great, but much more inclined to go do their own thing, while the males are clingier.

I'm starting to look at getting an Aussie from a breeder in the near future, because I'm starting to get the itch to show...I will always have my rescues though!

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
I've always had male dogs and female cats, until we got Ruby. There's no doubting (to me) that the males are more affectionate and physically loving, but I've never had a dog like my Ruby. I would definitely get another female.

And having said that, the male cats I've come across have always been more affectionate, too, except for my Sunday, who's just the biggest cuddle-bun that ever lived! Lol...

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
You technically CAN show a bitch whos in heat - but ONLY for conformation. I personally find it very rude to do that though - speaking from a male show does prospective.

Bitches come into heat, and blow their coat which keeps them out of show season for a bit

Males can have a much fuller coat then bitches, BUT they get distracted with bitches in heat in the ring, or they become male dog DA if not handled correctly.

I would have prefered Riot to be a girl now that i've had experience with him, not honestly I LOVE the males coats better.

tempura tantrum

Shiba Inu Slave
I tend to find that male Shibas are "sweeter" than the bitches. Kimi is very "feral," she isn't a cuddle-bug by any means, and I've found this to be true with most of the girls in her lines. The one puppy bitch she had was the exact same way. The males in her line are all much more "lovey" than the ladies. But once again, it boils down to the lines in your own breed, and your own experience.

As everyone has said however- breeders are FAR more likely to give you a male as your first time show dog than a bitch.

stevinski

Int CH - $uperBitch
i'd go for a dog

dogs in any coated breed always have a much more impressive coat and are often much easier to get placed

Lizmo

Water Junkie
So a male would be better :)...but I love the bitches too :(

Ugh choises! :p

Members online

No members online now.