puppy fear?

tinksmama

My Tinkerbell will be 11 weeks in 2 days, and she's got a new behavior..I'd like some advice-Oh,she weighs about 3 pounds or so...
I took her to petco,to the vet for a booster shot, and held her the whole time, we were in line. At first,she was fine, but there so many dogs,and some of them were noisy and rowdy around us,by the time we left,she was fearful,and growling at all the noise(from my arms) absolutely freaked out if a dog came to sniff her, totally new for her to be scared.
Since then, any loud outdoor noises really make her scared,a neighbor starting the car prevented her from going poo yesterday,it scared her so much...
So I took her to visit with a friends lab pup today,who's almost a year. She was TERRIFIED-and showed it, was extremely yappy and snappy,though the other pup was friendly- I sort of let her have her space, but we all sort of walked together and watched the kids play for about 2 hours. By the time we left, she was trying to get the labs attention to play,but as soon as she had it, she'd snap and yap and run away again-what should i do in this situation? Is it best to have her around the other dog,and let her approach as she's comfortable? I didn't know if i should be reprimanding her for getting nasty to the lab pup- I'm thinking maybe just have her around,exposed, with me there for safety? She need sto get used to life going on-
Oh, we have our own bigger dog at home, about 35 pounds,whom she adores,and wrestles and plays with all the time-she also enjoys wrestling with our gentle cat daily-

Roxy's CD

Ah, it could be a fear stage. I'm currently going through, kind of, the same situation. This is my interpretation. How old is the other dog? Is it dominant over Tinkerbell?

Hades just started group lessons, Roxy is the dominant one between them. He would never bite anything but, he does bark and growl and cry when we're in the waiting room around other dogs. I think he is scared, so because he's scared he thinks by acting out, (Barking/growling, just looking tough) the other dogs will leave him alone. He is also used to Roxy being there to protect him. If Roxy was there he would do nothing.

I would just calmly and firmly tell Tinkerbell, enough, Your fine. Does it seem as though she really is scared? Or do you think she's perhaps become a bit dog aggressive or wanting to dominate them?

At the end of your walk when she was trying to get the labs attention, it SOUNDS like she was truly trying to play. The good ole "come get me" game. A sure sign of playfullness is when a dog drops their front end with their bums in the air and tails wagging. Just because she's barking it doesn't mean that she's agressive, she's just excited. That's what it sounds like IMO.

bubbatd

Wish I could help .... she's the size of a 3 wk old Golden . I really don't know small breeds, but feel a lot of owners tend to pamper them and carry them too much. When I drop in on my daughter's house with Chip and her in laws are visiting with their toy poodle, She barks and they gather her up ... Chip doesn't give a **** about her and they know he'd never attack. Her yipping and nipping doesn't bother either one of us. So they hold on to a quivering dog until we leave.... All dogs need to know their place in your home and life/ whether big or small.

When I first took Barley to puppy class at 14 weeks, he snarled and snapped at another dog, too. I pulled him back and said, "it's okay barley", and patted his head in reassurance. I figured he was scared.

I was quickly reprimanded by a trainer... she said to never reassure bad behavior - it's basically rewarding him.

She said to remove him from the situation if he was aggressive, and after several group sessions, he was "most improved" at puppy class, and plays great now. I would occasionally say "NO!" and then draw him back from the other dog, too. Anyway, it worked.

Maybe there is a puppy socialization class in your area? It worked wonders for us...

tinksmama

Thanks, I too believe that my little poopsie needs to learn to be ok in situations, so that's why I tried not to scoop her up- I'll do what you suggest,and not even pat her at all..I'm going to look for some pup classes, she'd enjoy that,I think.

Members online