Should I get another pup?

Khristine

While i was getting Oreo groomed for the first time today (yay!) .. i was thinking about getting him a friend. The groomer told me that it would be a good idea to introduce him to another doggie soon, so that he doesn't get jealous later on.

I work full time right now, and my boyfriend is the one who takes care of him, and he too will soon start working within the next 2-3 months. Oreo is never left home alone, There's always someone at home to watch him, if he's ever alone it's only for a minute or two (i have to go to the bathroom sometime! :eek: ) .. i only left him alone (with my rents checking up on him every so often) twice and he was fine.

Should I get another doggie for Oreo to have a companion? or is it a bad idea all together? any advice would be appreciated :D

Ash47

Taco Dog
I think it is a good idea personally. But, I would get a dog that has been housetrained already and been socialized with other dogs. Definetely a dog that is the same size as Oreo, so that they don't intimidate one another while you are gone. Get a female so as to pretty much eliminate any chances of "dominance" issues. This is only my opinion, but it's what I would do. Best of luck to you, Oreo, and family!! ;)

Yes, its always a good idea to get another dog. If someone can care for them, get them.

If it were up to me, I'd have 50 dogs and be living in the country on a farm.

AND if they have each other to play with, chances are they'll be less destructive to your house. unless they feel like using teamwork to be destructive together.

-Jon

Khristine

If i do decide to adopt/buy a new pup. Should it be a young puppy? or about the same age as oreo?

Ash47

Taco Dog
I think the same age or a little older. As long as it is housetrained and socialized with other dogs, then I say you're good to go. Also make sure that the dog is around the same size.
With it being housetrained and socialized, that cuts out that part of the work for you and your fiance since you both will be away from home more.

Khristine

Im kind of looking into the same breed as he. since oreo is teacup size, i have to find one like him!

the only breeds i know that are very small are
- Yorkies
- Pomeranians
- Miniature chihuahua (what are appleheads?)

Ash47

Taco Dog
Khristine,
Please don't buy a mini Chihuahua. They have really bad health problems because they are so teensy. Applehead means that the skull is really large with small eyes, nose, and mouth. It's rather cute really. Roxy Mae isn't appleahead. I would recommend another Yorkie or Pom mix since you already know what to expect. Chihuahuas are realy handfuls. But, if you get one that's already socialized and all that good stuff, then you shouldn't have a problem.

I was told when we thought about getting another one to be Cocoa's companion to wait until she's about a year old so that way she will bond with us and not the other dog. Well she is 7 months old today and 3 weeks ago we brought in 2 more yorkie boys (about 7 years old) and the fighting for dominance thing is overwhelming...... They are all 3 the same size and the bickering is unbelievable. Our little girl is being very bossy, jealous and stingy with all of the toys (not just hers).. LOL

Good luck if you decide to get another one, and please please don't get one from a pet store... Definitely go to a rescue, shelter or reputable breeder.

I'd strongly recommend going to a shelter and finding an adult or adult-ish female about the same size. Don't limit yourself breed-wise, because at a shelter you may find the perfect dog to be so much of a mix you can't tell which breeds you've got. Just look for a good personality and even disposition and you should find the perfect companion for Oreo.

Or you could always consider a young cat! They can make excellent playmates for dogs - especially the smaller breeds.

Khristine

My brother is on a waiting list to get a egyptian mau (sp?) i have no clue what in the world that is! .. he is by far the biggest cat lover in the world besides my boyfriend.. so hopefully he can get it soon, if not i'm going to be looking at the nearest shelters for a new pup.. last time i didn't have much luck.. they only had big big dogs... (i would get a big dog when i have my own house since my parents only want small dogs) ..

but right now i'm searching for a pup.. *crosses fingers* i hope i find the right one! :D

Khristine

im hoping my brother gets one, that would be awesome..

well i asked my mother if i could get oreo a companion, she said yes! but as long as its not a big dog.. (im saving that for my own house! im going to have like 50!! jk!) ..

i was looking at the local animal shelter's website, but all they had were big dogs that i want to take home, but mommy and daddy will not even think about it. =( ... i also looked around on pennysaverusa.com (thats where i got oreo) .. and there are sooo many chihuahua'S! ..

out of curiosity, what does it take to be a reputable breeder? :eek:

Khristine

oh also..

i was wondering.. if shih tzu's and lhaso apso's are ok for oreo (temperament wise) ..

anyone here have some shih tzu and laso apso's that could tell me more about how they are like?

Members online

No members online now.