Hoping it's nothing

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I noticed the other day that Hannah has two hard little lumps on the back of her head on the right side near the base of her skull. they are small pea sized lumps and they are hard and don't move. The skin glides over them easily but the bumps don't move at all.

I noticed them the other day when I found a tick on her head (not a deer tick. it was embedded but not engorged yet) but it looked like she had been scratching at the area (she had a couple little knicks on her head that look like she was scratching with her long nails) so I just blew it off as that. Now a few days later the bumps are still there. There is no mark, they aren't red or anything, just bumps under the skin.

when I touch them she says it hurts but I don't know if they really do hurt or if she's just annoyed because I keep checking them. She doesn't seem to wince when I brush her hair or wash her hair or anything.

I'm making her a doctors appt tomorrow to get them looked at. So please pray that it's nothing... just bumps.

Anyone ever had this?

No, but I sure hope it's nothing worse than possibly she scratched off tick bodies. Awful as that sounds, it's something that should be fairly easy to remedy :(

~~~~Vibes~~~~~ for Hannah!

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
No, but I sure hope it's nothing worse than possibly she scratched off tick bodies. Awful as that sounds, it's something that should be fairly easy to remedy :(

~~~~Vibes~~~~~ for Hannah!
I was thinking that too... but there is no mark. Where the other tick was there was a noticeable mark where it was removed (and I made sure I got the head out too) but these don't have a mark and they aren't even red or anything. It's just like a little pea under the skin.

I've heard there are also lymphnodes back there and she has been tired lately so maybe she's fighting an infection or virus or something.

Thanks. can't wait to call the doc in the morning and make an appt... just for my own peace of mind

swabby

I get those kind of knots/bumps after a tick bite...I am very allergic to them.

Neosporin ointment cuts the inflammation in half, but they still hang around for months.

Good Luck. Hope it is nothing!

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I get those kind of knots/bumps after a tick bite...I am very allergic to them.

Neosporin ointment cuts the inflammation in half, but they still hang around for months.

Good Luck. Hope it is nothing!
hmmm hopefully it's just something like that. now the lumps aren't where the actual tick bite (the one I found) was. they are just below.

Grab

They might be Occipital Lymph Nodes that are swollen due to the tick bite. Clive's have been swollen when he's had colds, etc.

GoingNowhere

They might be Occipital Lymph Nodes that are swollen due to the tick bite. Clive's have been swollen when he's had colds, etc.
This is what I might've guessed... I'll often get swollen lymph nodes (situated almost behind the ear at the base of the skull) when something else is up. They don't hurt unless you poke at them in which case, yep, they can be quite sore.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I actually just read something about that and it sounds very possible. So I am really hope it is just something like that.

crazedACD

Could be little sebaceous cysts too, I have one permanent one and I've gotten them here and there along my hairline. Let us know what the doc says!

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Thanks everyone. I am calling the doc first thing tomorrow morning and they are pretty good about getting people in same day so hopefully we will see her tomorrow afternoon sometime.

ACooper

Yes, from your description it sounds like lymph nodes.
I was going to say the same.

My daughter had the same thing on her neck after a tick bite(Cat's 19 now, but this was when she was 7) The pediatrician said not to fret and described in dumbed down terms (for me :p ) that the lymph nodes were reacting to the tick bite. They took forever and a day to go away!

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Got an appt today at 12:45. It's not with our regular doc but I've seen this doc before and he's very nice. I love that this office gets the whole "freaking out mom" thing. When I was making the appt the receptionist asked "what are we seeing her for today" and I told her that after removing a tick from her head I later noticed two hard lumps on at the base of her skull and just want to have them looked at." and then I added "for my own peace of mind" and she just said "absolutely... we can get you in at 12:45" lol

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Oh yeah sorry. It went well. Doc thinks it's just some calcification. He said they aren't cystic. They are hard and don't move and they don't cause her any pain so he is thinking te tick bite is just a coincidence and the bumps were probably there before and I just never really had a reason to check for them.

He said to keep an eye in them. If they get bigger or start causing pain come back in but he doesn't think that will be the case

So PHEW!!! Hannah was a good patient and te student doctor got a laugh at the end when Hannah pointed and said "hey my daddy has a stethescope too.... And a blood pressure cuff". Lol he laughed and said "wow you have quite a vocabulary. How old are you?". "I'm four.... And a HALF". Lol so se was her usual goofy self and then she got a lollipop at the end and when we were on our way out she said "i got a lollipop because I was a good patient and it wasn't scary at all". Lol silly girl

Doberluv

Oh whew! I missed this thread before. But am glad she's okay. You must be very relieved. These things always make Moms nervous.

Members online

No members online now.