In desperate need of help about registries!!!

Hi, my name is Kila. In December of 2004, I purchased an American Pit Bull Terrier puppy. The puppy was not registered and nor were her parents. I want to register her, but am having trouble finding a registry that will allow her, because her sire and dam aren't registered. I am a little sketchy about the registries that will allow my APBT. So I am asking for your opinion. I have found the following 3 registries:

Continental Kennel Club (CKC)
United Canine Association (UCA)
American Pit Bull Registry (APBR)

I am worried that these registries may be frauds. So if you could please tell me if you know anything about any of these registries, or if you have a dog registered with one or more of them. Thank you in advance for your help.

Kila

I can be reached at [email protected]

joce

Any registery that will let you register a unaltered dog who doesn't have papers is a fraud. there really is no way around that.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
The Candain Kennel Club will reg dog's that dont have reg parents. It's a limited regestration. It allows you to patricipate in CKC events except conformation. But it's only for CKC reconized breeds, wich a pit is not. You could contact those regestries and ask if they have anything like it.

For the CKC you need a couple pictures and a vet saying thats what it is.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Is there a reason you want the registration? The best you can get is limited registration. It allows you to compete in certain events, like obedience and agility. But you can't register any puppies produced by the dog. If the parents aren't registered, there's not really anything you can do to get full registration.

mojozen

bullie lover
What registration and papers are supposed to do is be a "guarantee" that the animal you purchased is a full purebred animal. Since you do not have a papered puppy from papered parents then there is no guarantee that what you have is an actual purebred APBT. It could be any kind of mix - regardless of how he/she may look to the eye.

As for what I know about the registries listed here - from what i have heard "American Pit Bull Registry (APBR)" is fraudulent. They will register ANYTHING a person claims is a pit bull - including blatant mixes. They are a money making scheme and their papers do not hold up in any competitive ring.

If you want a registered/papered dog? I don't think you will be able to register this one with anyone that isn't a big fraud. Best to accept it as a spayed/neutered pet. And do your research next time prior to buying a puppy from anyone else in the future.

On the other hand, if you are trying to get into weight pulling your dog does not need to be registered anywhere - it just has to have the drive to pull. Same with other organized sports as long as they aren't sponsored by any of the big kennel clubs (AKC, CKC, UKC). Research each sport individually and talk to people involved.

I wouldn't use this unpapered dog for any kind of breeding - since you have no way to "prove" it's bloodlines, temperment, health etc. Plus there are so many pit bulls out there waiting for homes, that I do not see a reason to bring in more unpapered, unproven puppies into this world.

Last edited:

RD

Are you dead yet?
If you are wanting to register your dog to compete in performance events, obedience agility etc. you can get an ILP from AKC. (Since it seems like over 90% of shows in the U.S. are AKC, this is probably the best way to go.)

If you're wanting to register your dog so you can say it's "papered" and breed it -- DON'T! Just enjoy your pet.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
It shouldn't be difficult to ILP a pit as a staffy if you just want to do AKC performance events.

People ILP all kinds of mutts as long as they look close enough to one accepted breed or another, regardless if the breed is even involved in a mix.

Well, I know that my APBT is purebred. I know this because the breeder that I got my dog from had DNA tests on both parents. Regardless, the only reason I want my dog registered, is because I want her to be legit. There are so may people around my area, who do not properly care for their APBTs in so many ways. I want to know and feel that I am completely different.

As for the breeding aspect, I do plan on breeding her once. After I have the vet's ok. All of her pups will have homes with my family members and the owner of the stud dog's family. I plan on keeping 1st pick of the litter. I am going to have her spaded after she has the pups and recovers. I love my baby girl so much and I want one of her pups badly.

mojozen

bullie lover
TruPitLver said:
Well, I know that my APBT is purebred. I know this because the breeder that I got my dog from had DNA tests on both parents.
DNA tests on dogs to prove breed is a relatively new science. I do not believe it is available to breeders at this time. But hey if that's what the breeder told you then that's what he told you.

Regardless, the only reason I want my dog registered, is because I want her to be legit. There are so may people around my area, who do not properly care for their APBTs in so many ways. I want to know and feel that I am completely different.
If you treat your dog well - you do not fight her, neglect her, abuse her, or treat her as a status symbol - then you ARE different... regardless if your dog has papers or not. The fact YOU are treating this dog well will speak far louder than a piece of paper with a registry from anywhere. There are plenty of AKC registered purebreds out there who wish they had as much as that.

As for the breeding aspect, I do plan on breeding her once. After I have the vet's ok. All of her pups will have homes with my family members and the owner of the stud dog's family. I plan on keeping 1st pick of the litter. I am going to have her spaded after she has the pups and recovers. I love my baby girl so much and I want one of her pups badly.
If you plan on breednig your dog, do please, please please please research all of the possible costs that go into breeding dogs. It is not easy. It is not cheap. It could possibly kill your dog. Make sure if you breed her you are aware of everything that could go wrong and be okay with it FIRST. If you can't stand the thought of losing your dog to the process of birthing a litter of puppies then you probably shouldn't be breeding her.

Not to mention if she's not papered and thus possibly not up to breeding standard and there's no way to "prove" her -- then she shouldn't be bred either. But That's an arguement I will leave to others to make.

Also look into drawing up spay/neuter contracts for each puppy that goes out -- regardless of who it goes to. There is an over population problem. Why add to it with even one more puppy?

DNA testing has been available to animals breeders for a long time in this country. Maybe 15 years? I mean officially, as recognized by AKC.

In fact I believe I read that a bitch can be bred to multiple sires, and the puppies registered after DNA tests show which male sired which pup!!! Ticked me off royally when I read about it, but I guess it does make sense. It just seems to be a bit like making a "hoe" out one's bitch!!!!!
The males of course LOVED the idea!!!!!!!

mojozen

bullie lover
Gwinnywillow said:
DNA testing has been available to animals breeders for a long time in this country. Maybe 15 years? I mean officially, as recognized by AKC.

In fact I believe I read that a bitch can be bred to multiple sires, and the puppies registered after DNA tests show which male sired which pup!!! Ticked me off royally when I read about it, but I guess it does make sense. It just seems to be a bit like making a "hoe" out one's bitch!!!!!
The males of course LOVED the idea!!!!!!!
DNA testing to prove the parents of a dog - yes - per the AKC website.

This voluntary program has resulted from significant input from the fancy. The DNA Profile Program is for owners and breeders electing to add value to their breeding programs by eliminating concerns or questions about identification and parentage.

DNA testing to profile a dog's individual DNA to insure identification sure. DNA testing to test for inheritable diseases... okay.

DNA testing to prove a breed - no. That is a new science - they mapped the first dog breed last year. The science is much easier with pure bred dogs, than it is with mutts, since mutts can be made up of a number of different breeds... not just 2 purebreds put together.

Yes... the breeder could do a dna test to prove that dog A did mate with dog B and that's how you got the puppy. But with out papers there are no guarantees that dog a is a purebred APBT or that dog B is... Plus pit bull mixes can be made up of several breeds but still *look* like a pit bull.

my dog is guessed to be a pit bull x dachshund mix. i will never know for sure.. really... but i've been told he's a staffie, a very small pit, or other combinations of pit and whatever else springs to mind - this includes corgi, basset, doxie, etc.

Basically I disagree with you.

joce

Oh god! First of all what would the dna test prove toher than the parents are hers?! Second I have never heard a vet tell someone not to breed,they want your money! And the breed has enough problems,it doens't need another unexperienced,underknowledgeabl breeder. If you want to breed this is not the dog to do it with and you have a lot to learn.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Oh god! First of all what would the dna test prove toher than the parents are hers?! Second I have never heard a vet tell someone not to breed,they want your money! And the breed has enough problems,it doens't need another unexperienced,underknowledgeabl breeder. If you want to breed this is not the dog to do it with and you have a lot to learn.
Yup. Please dont breed

I know I have a lot to learn. That's why nothing is set in stone yet. I want to make sure that I don't make the wrong decision. I want to have one of Lexas' pups badly, but I don't want to breed her and that cause problems, or for anyone to back out of any arrangement for the pups. You know? I just don't want to spade her right now. She is only 1 1/2 years old right now. So there is pleanty of time left to breed her. I want to be able to breed her if I feel 100% about it one day and if I feel that I know 100% of what could, can, will, should happen.

Honestly, right now I am only 25% sure that I want to breed her. But I'm 100% sure that I want one of her pups. If that makes any sense. I'm leaning more towards just buying another pit bull. I wanted a blue or red nosed pit bull anyway. That would probably be the best idea, huh?

So do you guys think that I should just not bother with getting her registered?

~Kila~

joce

Having her registered would mean nothing. i could send you a piece of paper saying she is purebred and it would mean the same thing. Just really think about what is good for the dog. Having pups is not good for a dog. Think of all the pits pts every day too. You could save ten of those instead of haivng pups. Ten dogs that are already alive and deserve happy loving homes.

mojozen

bullie lover
Keepign unspayed/unneutered dogs together is a bad idea... especially with pit bulls in my opinion. If your female goes into heat without you knowing your male dog could get to her and whether you want to have puppies or not she will have them.

Or if you do have a bitch in heat, and you have a male dog as well the male dog could get very protective of the bitch and/or if the bitch has a litter of pups SHE could get super protective and those scenarios occasionally end very badly.

I have a question for you - why is it that you want a puppy from your girl? What is it are you expecting? Are you expecting to get a puppy like your girl dog?

The reason i am asking is i hear that a lot - about wanting a puppy from the current dog - and usually the expectation is that puppy will be a lot like the dog in question. Generally this is not the case, since the puppy gets half the genetics from the mom and half from the dad ... and personality is a mercurial thing based on genetics. The puppy will be it's own self, not a replica of the bitch used or the stud used.

joce

not to mention your dogs personallity may completely change after having a litter.

Members online

No members online now.