Harness vs. collar - which is better?

coripc33

I have a 16-week old Westie, that I had on a harness for all our outside trips. She loved it and she used to pull on the leash as much as possible. I started taking her to Petsmart for classes, and they recommended that I change that to a collar, since it will help with the pulling also. So I did that on Sunday, and boy, does she hate it! :) I expect her to get over it, but now the problem is that she will not sit still for me to clip the leash on her every time we go out! Every time my hand goes for the collar, she'll run away, but then she wines that she wants outside. I don't know how to handle this exactly, since I am afraid that, rather than letting me clip the leash, she'll start going inside.

On the other hand, I am loving the collar outside, she pulls so much less, but she obviously gets annoyed and hyper when she figures out why she can't pull anymore. I am hoping she'll get over it, but it's been 2 days and still a huge fight to clip the collar on her without having to pick her up and restrain her while I do this. I don't want to do it, I don't want her to start hating the idea of going out or the idea of having me next to her, but I don't know what else to do - any ideas? Please advise.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I personally prefer collars. I'd just give your Westie some time to get used to it. Just put the collar on every time you go outside. Even if you're not using the leash, just put the collar on her. Don't use the harness at all during this time. Eventually, she'll associate the collar with good times, and will become madly excited to see it. I know my dog does!

coripc33

That's a great idea! :) What I mean is that she usually wears the collar all the time, and I need to clip the leash to it. Maybe I should take the collar off her and attach it to the leash, and then just put the collar-leash combo on her when we go out - that will be a lot easier and quicker!

That's a great idea, I can try this one, unless someone else knows something that I could do by leaving the collar on her all the time, like it is now.

Thank you very much - I appreciate it. All extra help is greatly appreciated also. :)

I say harness. Westies are small dogs, so using a collar on one could hurt them. I know one and I hope her owners get her a harness so she doesn't ruin her little neck.

I always stick to collors, I have had dogs that will pull in a harness but not a collor, and as long as you teach her not to pull she wont hurt her neck

Doberluv

With small dogs, I recommend a harness. A collar just isn't very safe IMO on their tiny necks..(cervical vertebrae and trachea) You can train your dog not to pull regardless of what you use by rewarding for walking nicely along side you, using praise and treats. If she gets to the end of the leash, stop and stand firm, not giving her the reward of moving forward. You can also, when she is nearing the end of the leash, make turns. Teach her to watch you on command..to help her focus on you instead of her enviornment so much. You can do this by holding a treat up by your face and when she follows with her eyes, give the treat and praise. Add the command, "watch" when she starts doing this following consistantly. Gradually hold back on the treat until she holds her gaze a little longer...very gradually ask for longer eye contact. Do this as a seperate exercise when you're not taking a walk...do it at home while sitting on your couch or whatever. Repeat several times and then do it again later in the day....a few times a day for 5 minutes or so. She may be very intent on the treats and will be watching you anyhow when you're doing it over and over, so what you can do is try it when she's doing something else...chewing a toy, walking across the room.....say her name and when she looks to you, treat and praise. After a few times of this, add "watch."

P.S. I don't like retractable leashes. They can encourage a dog to pull because there is always some tension in the leash. The dog becomes use to that tension and thinks that is the normal. You want to prevent tension in your leash always. Don't let the dog pull you or have tension in the leash for even one step.

bubbatd

I like the harness for young puppys just for safety reasons ....until they learn not to pull out of their collar.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Some good advice there doberluv - I could do with some lead walking tips myself! :) Bodhi is ok, but as she is becoming more used to going out and more confident, I can see her starting to slip...

Sheba

I W A L R
I would say use a harness on a Westie or any other small dog, as a collar may damage and possible even break their neck if they pull oh so very hard!

Members online