Acana

I am trying to find a food that would be good for both of my dogs... a 10 month old mini aussie (on Innova Puppy) and a 9 year old mini aussie (Evo weight management)... I've recently seen on here that people really like Acana, and what I've researched on it it looks great, would that work for both dogs?

I've also considered Go! or Now! and am curious if anyone has an experience with those?

Thanks!

monkeys23

The grain free Acana is awesome, it should fit the bill perfectly.

The grain free Go! Endurance looks great. I've never fed it though.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Now (the grain-free foods) and Go (the grain-inclusive foods) are both really good quality, but Acana is better. If you're going grain-free you generally want a nice high protein content. Now's adult GF formula is 26%, Acana Grasslands GF formula is 32% protein. Now also has three different protein sources (duck, salmon and turkey) but Acana has four varieties that you can rotate through, if switching protein sources is something you want to do.

Here, Acana is also cheaper than Now for the same amount of food, but that's a very regional thing, so I'm not sure about where you are.

Go has their one GF formula now which monkeys mentioned (and of course they would - as it is I always confuse Now and Go, and now Go has a GF, despite Now/Go being the same company... wtf). We don't carry it yet, but it looks pretty good. The fat and protein are lower than most GF foods, but that can be good as some dogs can't tolerate the high protein/fat levels in most GF diets.

But honestly, I'd go with Acana first and see how they fare, as it's IMO one of the best dry diets available.

(Can you tell I'm bored at work and have an itch to talk pet nutrition? LOL)

Thank you for your help :) That was extremely helpful AllieMackie, I will look into Acana. I had special ordered it through my nearby petstore but they failed miserably and never actually ordered the food and I then had to get something they already had in stock. I ended up with Orijen all life stages... I was told Acana and Orijen are made by the same company is this correct?

Also, the high protein percentage thing always confuses me, I've been told both that high protein is bad for older dogs(being that Jazz is 9), and that it is ok, you sound like you know your stuff, what's your take on it?

Thank you for your help! My next bag of food will definitely be Acana!

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
Comparing side by side I prefer Acana to Now! (looking purely at grain free), but I don't have any particular issue with either food. They're both good companies. I like the variety of flavour options with Acana, so you don't have to stick with the same one all the time!

Members online

No members online now.