Cropping Ears?

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Yup. Be verry carefull who does the crop.

Peril - The way your post is worded it sounds like the only thing the vet needs to have is a liscence and then they are OK to crop. Just the wording you used

Hillside

Original Twin
haha so true.

What I love about the doberman the most, is their personality. It's really the one dog that has impressed me the most. It's not the breed for me. I couldn't keep up with it. But I'll always be in awe of it.
What do you mean by "Keep up with it"? I'm assuming it's in the energy context? MY Dobe would beat you to the couch... ;)

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
It was a silly poke at an old debate. We run in the woods all the time, hard running and have not broken a tail ever on any of them so I had a hard time believing it but this one member determined that this one specific tree was a tail eater.
unless you have spent an extended period of time running hunting dogs in my country I suggest you grow up and drop you little tirade on me with the DOCKING subject. The OP asked about CROPPING anyway, you just had to throw it in. I don't care if you don't beleive me because you come from a base of no experience on the subject.

unless you have spent an extended period of time running pointing dogs that actually hunt in any country I suggest you grow up and drop you little tirade on me with the DOCKING subject. The OP asked about CROPPING anyway, you just had to throw it in. I don't care if you don't beleive me because you come from a base of no experience on the subject.
Fixed it for you. And underlined for emphasis.

Paige

Let it be
Docking and cropping I am grateful are never something I am going to have to deal with as I won't be getting a dog from a breeder. Plus, the breed I love comes all natural. I like to remain as neteral on the subject as I can. Would I ever go out of my way to ask a breeder or vet to do it to one of my dogs? No. But I also don't jump down people's throats for doing it to theirs. So long as it's done properly and not with an axe in the yard.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I can only say that it's not something that I would do. I recently saw an imported dobe with natural ears and tail at a rally event and was very taken with her--I prefer the natural look with most breeds and would not want to put my dog under for something that is just cosmetic. Fortunately labs are left natural....

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Good grief. I knew there were health concerns in the breed, but I never expected a list like that!
And that list isn't even complete - leaves cancer, bloat and liver problems off... three of the biggest killers in the breed. vWD is prevalent but only a small percentage of affected dobes are actually clinical. My breeder is trying to get her breeding program completely clear of vWD though... it's no small feat, since so many other factors must come into play when breeding.

masticatory myocytis. (not sure how prevelent that one is actually, but my Dobe and another Dobe on here had it). Hip dysplasia really isn't all that common in Dobes. They can have it, but it's just not a very prevelent issue. They left out bone and other cancers.
Actually, as it turns out - Ilsa never had MM. It just looked like it... it was actually osteosarcoma in her jaw and skull. :(

Doberluv

Oh yes Sizzle, I remember. That was so sad.

I agree about the vet who does the cropping. Cropping is a specialty and being simply a licensed vet is NOT necessarily enough. Good breeders research this VERY carefully and choose a vet who specializes in cropping who has an excellent reputation and track record. Absolutely don't think that just because it's a licensed vet, you'll get a decent crop job. I too, have seen some real buchered up messes on dogs who were done by merely a "licensed" vet. (just to reiterate) Like it was said, in this country, most reputable breeders will have already had their pups cropped by the time you get the pup.

Xandra

Probably depends on the crop, too. In the case of the Doberman, with those long elegant ears, I imagine it takes a certain amount of skill to get the shape bang on.

Now for instance, a short pit bull crop might not be so tricky.

ACooper

Probably depends on the crop, too. In the case of the Doberman, with those long elegant ears, I imagine it takes a certain amount of skill to get the shape bang on.

Now for instance, a short pit bull crop might not be so tricky.
This is true IMO..........when I think of 'more difficult' crops, I think Danes, Dobes, and boxers. Not only do they need a good cut, they need plenty of after care for MONTHS of taping to get the crop to stand PROPERLY..........not just stand mind you, it has to stand right, LOL

The shorter the crop, the more 'bell' (lower part of the ear that swells out) is there, the easier it is. Depending how short or how much bell, they won't need much care after the stitches are out.

mi_bella

What do you mean by "Keep up with it"? I'm assuming it's in the energy context? MY Dobe would beat you to the couch... ;)
The energy level and the smarts. A dobe could outsmart me so easily as sad as it is to admit that haha. The one we had when we were children was extremely smart. We live behind a golf course that is blocked with a wired fence only. Whenever a golfer was about to hit the ball, blackie (our dobie) would bark to distract him. It was a fun game for him but the golfers hated him.

Anyways, my brother just told me that he gave the breeder an okay to the surgery a few days ago and that he'll be getting the puppy as soon as he turn 12 weeks...So I'm a little nervous. I doubt he really asked all the questions I gave him. But, still, I cannot wait to the puppy.

Members online

No members online now.