Obedience and Rally O training

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
We're gearing up to try our hand at real obedience in January, and I'm freaking out. Our trainer says we're ready, and we'll (hopefully, lol) have two legs of her rally excellent title done, but I'm still terrified.

Elsie knows all the exercises and is great, but I don't know all the rules yet.

I know I'm going to blow it.
You guys will do great!!!

crazedACD

So, I took Fiona to my drop-in class tonight. Holy hell I'm pleased. She was totally consistent from what we have done at home, to what I asked her to do in class. What a difference it makes knowing what you are doing as far as training a puppy in obedience exercises. I know she will present her own challenges, but I'm really thrilled.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
I totally forgot about this thread LOL. In November, I entered Kimma in a trial for an RA leg on a whim, and she ended up Qing and getting a 1st place! She did so well - now I have to finish her RA LOL. Hopefully this year :)

And I was bored last weekend so I taped her doing all of the RN signs. I will eventually do all of the RA/RE signs, too, but my living room isn't very big (and I don't own any cones) so I might have to find another location for that :p

[YOUTUBE]Rj7rm-a-Uf8[/YOUTUBE]

So, I took Fiona to my drop-in class tonight. Holy hell I'm pleased. She was totally consistent from what we have done at home, to what I asked her to do in class. What a difference it makes knowing what you are doing as far as training a puppy in obedience exercises. I know she will present her own challenges, but I'm really thrilled.
Awwww yay Fiona! Sounds like she did so well :)

Haha, this thread getting resurrected reminded me that I entered a rally trial this weekend, back when it seemed like a good idea. I haven't practiced or been to a class for weeks. Hopefully everyone there will be in the mood for a good laugh.

JacksonsMom

Ya know, out of all the things I've taught Jackson, I've never really taught a proper heel. You've inspired me to work on it... lol

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
My goal with Cricket this year is to start doing a little rally. Mainly it's to hopefully get me solidifying her obedience work more and to get me off my butt and training her more in general.

Her heel work is pretty nice though it could use some strengthening and fine tuning. My biggest thing I need to work on is teaching fronts and then sending back to a heel. Anyone want to post a helpful video on teaching that pretty please :) I'm so stuck on fronts for some reason. I can easily train a lot of things but Cricket and I are confused on this one.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I teach a front sitting with my feet apart, first, an shape a chin touch on my abdomen (crotch to e less delicate) to design the picture. With my dogs they will always stay a bit further back, by choice, so I teach a bit of crowding to start.

I may have a video.

Also, if your dog has a pivot on a bucket you can teach front to heel very easily by shaping side and front correctness.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I teach a front sitting with my feet apart, first, an shape a chin touch on my abdomen (crotch to e less delicate) to design the picture. With my dogs they will always stay a bit further back, by choice, so I teach a bit of crowding to start.

I may have a video.

Also, if your dog has a pivot on a bucket you can teach front to heel very easily by shaping side and front correctness.
ya if you have a video that would be awesome. She does know how to pivot on a bucket. There's a rally competition in March that I want to enter her in so I'm trying to get her ready in time.

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
Penn hasn't seen rally since before Christmas.

I have two days to decide to enter her for a competition Feb 6th ..yes/ no?

How similar/different are AKC rally and UKC rally? My trainer only competes and trains in AKC and wasn't sure this answer. How difficult is it to train yourself? Any resources online? Since UKC opened APBTs single registration again, I'd like to get involved with Pirate. Original plan was AKC with Bayleigh but she very much dislikes obedience training and I don't think it's fair to make her do it (even though she can).

Elrohwen

I just signed up for Denise Fenzi's online Precision Heeling class. Very excited! I've been stuck on heeling for a while because I want to work on it, but I'm afraid to mess it up and have to re-train everything. I need some very specific instruction on how to teach it and how to cue it and I'm happy to have found this class. The class starts on February 1st.

Sekah

The Monster.
I'm very curious about that class. I'd love to hear a bit of what you learn. I'd love to really polish up my heeling, but I've been lazy. Or too preoccupied with more exciting things like tricks.

Elrohwen

I'm very curious about that class. I'd love to hear a bit of what you learn. I'd love to really polish up my heeling, but I've been lazy. Or too preoccupied with more exciting things like tricks.
I'll definitely update! There is a syllabus posted that will give you a general idea of what we're learning: http://fenzidogsportsacademy.com/index.php/courses/33#syllabus

Basically it's stationary (or mostly stationary) exercises to teach a dog to find heel position. In April there is a "heeling games" class that will build on it and add movement, fun, engagement, etc, so I'm hoping to take that one too and end up with a decently polished heel (enough to get us through rally novice). Though there is also a focus class in that block that I also want to take ... too many classes, too little time!

Members online

No members online now.