The dog musing/vent thread

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
For example, when the vet brought out the consent form for the anesthesia, I had to hold back tears because I knew there was always that chance.
This happened when Auggie was getting his bladder ultrasound at the university. They told me they might not even have to put him under, but on the off chance that they had to put him under, I had to sign a form saying if I wanted them to try and resuscitate or not if anything happened. So TWO big "this probably won't happen but" and I still had to ask the vet to make sure I'd marked the YES PLEASE because I couldn't read what I was signing after he explained what it was for. x_x

Squash had a chiropractic appointment today and he was the best boy EVER.

Do you ever just realize you have the best dog you will ever have and that you're never going to have enough time with them? I keep finding my train of thought going that way and I try not to do that often. I want Mia forever more than anything.
I recently realized that Squash was much bigger than I thought he was (I thought he was around 80ish# and he's really about 95#). Then yesterday I suddenly realized he was almost 3 years old and I got very weepy because MY 95 POUND DOG IS ALREADY ALMOST 3 YEARS OLD NOOOOOOOOO TIME MUST STOP. Then he did something silly that made me laugh and I hugged him.

Paviche

Duuuuude.
I wish I could ask Riff's "breeder" what on earth possessed them to dock the tails on mixed breed pups of unknown heritage! I have nothing against docking, but they gave the pups pointer docks without even knowing if the dad was actually a pointer. Just... what? lol. TBH I love Riff's goofy tail but I want to know what the thought process there was.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Im glad I'm not the only one. I feel guilty because I've had so many great dogs and I adore Summer but Mia is just so special.

I wish I could ask Riff's "breeder" what on earth possessed them to dock the tails on mixed breed pups of unknown heritage! I have nothing against docking, but they gave the pups pointer docks without even knowing if the dad was actually a pointer. Just... what? lol. TBH I love Riff's goofy tail but I want to know what the thought process there was.
I wish I could ask Diesels 'breeder' the same thing. He is yorkie and poodle, both docked breeds...but both have longer docks, not nubbins like rottys which diesel has lol.

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
After two sessions, Cali is about 75% on her new trick. I just need to figure out a hand signal for it...

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Im glad I'm not the only one. I feel guilty because I've had so many great dogs and I adore Summer but Mia is just so special.
Kiba turned 9 this year... She is 100% my heart and soul. I don't know what I'm going to do when she dies.

This year has showed me so much more though to treat every day as their last, don't hesitate to give them one more hug... cause you really never know when they'll leave you. :(

crazedACD

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/pet/3947653402.html
Duncan -- a four-year-old Shih Tzu Poo mix -- is about 28 lbs and loves to cuddle and romp. Up to date on all shots, neutered, and micro-chipped. Enjoys nature walks on leash, and will do best with a fenced in backyard with room to explore. He spends time chasing the fish in our backyard pond, which entertains him immensely. Not a good choice for someone who wants a dog off leash while out and about, as he has a strong need to explore, but does well on leash and loves to hike on trails. He is more challenging on a neighborhood walk, as he thinks cars are one of the most exciting inventions in the world. We live on an acre, with one-third fenced in around the house so he can come and go. However, we have begun to rescue and foster and we are not able to give Duncan the cuddle time he deserves and so desires. If you think you are the right person or household for Duncan, please tell us a bit about yourself, your household, why you are interested in acquiring a dog at this time, schedule, and experience with dogs and/or pups. Any questions, please ask. Rehoming fee negotiable to the right household.
Um. You are rehoming your dog so you can 'rescue and foster' other dogs?! Wth?!

Squash had a chiropractic appointment today and he was the best boy EVER.

I recently realized that Squash was much bigger than I thought he was (I thought he was around 80ish# and he's really about 95#). Then yesterday I suddenly realized he was almost 3 years old and I got very weepy because MY 95 POUND DOG IS ALREADY ALMOST 3 YEARS OLD NOOOOOOOOO TIME MUST STOP. Then he did something silly that made me laugh and I hugged him.
Who do you see for chiropractic, if you don't mind me asking? I'm just starting to get into chiropractic with Jack, and I'm looking for recommendations!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I alwaysjst assumedhe had a half natural bob from the Aussie side.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
We saw Dr. Seefeldt. I really liked her, and we've gotten a lot of good feedback from clients about her.
Obviously I'm in a different area from you, so no specific recs will apply, but any advice on how to find a good canine chiro? There is one in Chicago with a good reputation but they cost approximately a bagillion moneys per visit. Then there is one about 40 minutes from me, she does humans and dogs, not a DVM but has a very good reputation amongst sport people. Price is more reasonable.

I would like to get ALL my dogs in... Macky is 8 and could probably use it, Keeva does all the **** you're not supposed to let corgis do, like jump off of high place and generally act the fool, and Blossom does bitework and hits hard with no regard for her body (and I'm hearing more and more about how hard bitework is on their bodies). I've just been putting it off because I don't know how to go about selecting a good chiro for dogs.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Obviously I'm in a different area from you, so no specific recs will apply, but any advice on how to find a good canine chiro? There is one in Chicago with a good reputation but they cost approximately a bagillion moneys per visit. Then there is one about 40 minutes from me, she does humans and dogs, not a DVM but has a very good reputation amongst sport people. Price is more reasonable.

I would like to get ALL my dogs in... Macky is 8 and could probably use it, Keeva does all the **** you're not supposed to let corgis do, like jump off of high place and generally act the fool, and Blossom does bitework and hits hard with no regard for her body (and I'm hearing more and more about how hard bitework is on their bodies). I've just been putting it off because I don't know how to go about selecting a good chiro for dogs.
Uhh... Move here and come see izzies chiro? Lol. Just ask around with sport people/clubs, they'll likely be able to recommend a good one in your area.

First of all, make sure that they have had veterinary-specific chiro training. In my state that's easy, because while they do not need to be veterinarians to offer chiro, human practitioners are required by law to have had animal-specific training.

Second of all... honestly I think word of mouth is really important. I am lucky because I get feedback from clients and I can notice trends about, say, "gee the people who do agility all seem to go to xyz." But you might want to ask around at a local agility club or even where you do bitework. Horse people are also often a really good source of referrals, too, since chiro was widely accepted in the horse world before people started to do it in small animals.

ACooper

So I'm yard working this morning and of course Orson is running around playing while I work. I'm not paying attention to his every move and all of the sudden I hear a ruckus and see my flower bed shaking all over!

One of the neighbor's cats decided to drop into the yard while Orson was out. The answer to my question "would he ever actually harm a cat" is a resounding YES, I BELIEVE HE WOULD! He dam* near had it and he wasn't in play mode! He missed it's leg by about 2 inches as it jumped and clung to the fence to escape the yard.

STUPID CAT OWNERS LETTING THEM ROAM IN TOWN MAKE ME ANGRY!! And what's more? They would be mad and going on if Orson had gotten him and some how made US the bad guys! AHHHH!!

Skating with Ruby, about a half mile in.

We come to a blind corner, so we slow way down. Oh, you have 3 dogs on the sidewalk we want to use, I will use the street. At which point his three dogs run in three separate directions without leashes. Ruby tries to chase one down so I slam on the brakes, get tangled in the leash and fall.

Guy just walks away in his original direction, not even waiting for his dog.

LEASHES ARE NOT OPTIONAL ON A CITY SIDEWALK.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Talon decided out of no were running up the stairs is a grand idea. He use to do this all the time but for fear on him hurting himself I've made him stop, look at me, and I give him a treat after 3-4 steps. It's worked great until today.

He ran u pthe stairs, slipped, fell one leg through the steps and hit his knee or hip (can't tell which it is). Stoic dog didn't whine, but he's not putting full pressure on that leg either. :(

Darn dog, I hope he heals ok >_< Now he won't be quiet and just lay down, he insists on being up moving around. Might have to bring out the crate and crate-rest him for a few days. Goody. >_<

k9krazee

I was/am feeling itchy for dogtwo and getting a little obsessive and anxious about it.

But then, at the end of the day, I realize I have the most perfect little dog and am so excited for our future together. I am in no rush, there will always be a good dog available at the right time and I am going to enjoy each day that C-bone is an only dog and will let the future unfold as it will.

We saw Dr. Seefeldt. I really liked her, and we've gotten a lot of good feedback from clients about her.
Awesome! I've now had several people recommend her. I sent her an inquiry email a week ago, asking about scheduling (there is one clinic she uses that is a stones throw from my house) and prices and such, so I think I'll go ahead and set up an appointment!

First of all, make sure that they have had veterinary-specific chiro training. In my state that's easy, because while they do not need to be veterinarians to offer chiro, human practitioners are required by law to have had animal-specific training.

Second of all... honestly I think word of mouth is really important. I am lucky because I get feedback from clients and I can notice trends about, say, "gee the people who do agility all seem to go to xyz." But you might want to ask around at a local agility club or even where you do bitework. Horse people are also often a really good source of referrals, too, since chiro was widely accepted in the horse world before people started to do it in small animals.
All of this. I put a post on Facebook a while back asking for chiropractor recommendations/feedback from people in my area. I was actually surprised how many people had seen chiropractors with their dogs - several people were classmates, and I haven't really met many people at school who are open/interested in alternative medicine, so I was pleasantly surprised.

I would also talk to any holistic/alternative veterinarians and see if they offer chiropractic services at their clinic.

Members online

No members online now.