Immodium for dogs?

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I know you CAN do this. Has anybody done it? Friday I used the last of Payton's probiotic, and instead of buying more at the vet Saturday (because it's Purina Fortiflora and I really didn't want him on it... bleh) I decided to see if he would be okay off a probiotic. Well, Monday night he had loose poop in my room in the middle of the night, and he's had runny poo since. So I guess that answers the question of if he needs to be on a probiotic or not. =P
He pooped in the kitchen this afternoon after I got back from my run, and when I let him outside he was trying to poop more and just little runny bits were coming out... it's not like when he was really bad and it was literally diarrhea everywhere and there's definitely no watery poos, just very very VERY soft poos.
Tuesday morning I ordered him a new probiotic, it's being sent priority mail so I really hope it gets here like... tomorrow. I bought him Culturelle last night and gave him one in the evening and today gave him one with his dinner, but I don't think it's obviously kicked in yet. I'm not sure if I should give him Immodium for a day or two and help his poor belly? I gave him two doses of Pepto yesterday and that seemed to help until today. I gave him another dose after his runny poo in the kitchen. I also gave him some frozen green beans to add some fiber and see if that helps firm stuff up.

Poor guy. =< I really hope this new probiotic helps. If not I guess I'm going to go back to Fortiflora. I thought about switching foods but I'm not sure that will help. All I can think of doing is switching to TOTW fish formula. Auggie reeks on a fish formula so I'm afraid Payton will too... I don't even know what else we would try. I don't think it's a food allergy because this whole month he's been on the Fortiflora he has had great poops...

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Yep- quite a few times over the years. I'm not sure what the dosage would be for Payton, but for a 65-70 pound Lab I give 2 tablets twice a day (per my vet).
I've given it to Chloe, too, at about half that dosage (I think - she's about 45 pounds).

lizzybeth727

We've used it on the dogs at work, it's a lot more convenient to give them the immodium pills than a syringe of pepto. ;)

Keegan's breeder says it's dangerous for collies, though. I've never researched it myself, and luckily I haven't needed it for him *knockonwood*.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
I believe the dosage for tablets is 1mg per 20lbs. I've given it to Stryder before, but usually just 1/2 tablet once a day (don't want to stop him up). Stryder used to be the one with always something stomach wise wrong with him, and between that and Pepto it made those instances a lot better.

Pops2

if it is just soft you may be able to thicken it by feeding jello. mix in the boiled water but not the cold. chill. works for people too. i drink it while still warm (not hot).

Saeleofu

I've given Gavroche immodium but I will not give it to Logan because it can be dangerous to MDR1 dogs. Since I don't know if Logan's a mutant or not, I just don't use it. Some day I'll test him, but until then, absolutely not.

Jynx

I also have an mdr1 (mutant/mutant) aussie, Immodium is a huge no no on the drug list.

I don't give it to my other aussie nor my german shepherds, just in case..

Mach1girl

A probiotic needs time to straighten out the digestive system so runny poo is part of the process.

That being said, Immodium too, will stop a dog up fast. Pepto can be given safely, and will only harden the poo enough to pass wholely, instead of runny. If the dog gets constipated from the Immodium, which it pry will considering the probiotic will hang around inside of him for a few days, that is harder to treat then the runs!

I tried an Activia 13 days ago, it made me sick and vomiting, and still have the effects as of today-

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
He's not on a probiotic right now, Machgirl. I ran out of the Fortiflora I was giving him and was waiting to see if he needed to be on one or not and the runny poo started up again after three days of not being on a probiotic. He's got a new one coming in the mail, looks like from the tracking number it should be here tomorrow.

I gave him 1mg after Auggie's breeder told me she has given it to her dogs safely, but it didn't really do much. He was fine that night but the next day he was back to how he's been the past few days, a normal poo and then some runny poo later on. I don't want to give him a whole bunch so it's just Pepto for now until his new probiotic comes. Auggie's breeder did say her dogs have had some poopy stuff going on too and said it MIGHT be just a bug, so if he doesn't get better after a few days of the new probiotic I am going to get him some Flagyl and see if that's the deal. So I STILL won't really know if he needs to be on the probiotic or not... :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.