Border Collies!

No He is only a puppy he I'm aiming on starting a show carrier and a herding carrier on him in the fall:] No He didnt that is why I am going to a natural instincts compion!

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Usually when you have a border collie for show, it lessens the herding instinct.

Have you bred before?

No I am Planning to :] But It is alot to think about:] no I dont pactice showing alot because I would rather him herding than showing:]

moonchild1970

Designated Ball Thrower
I've got two borders myself and agree that they should only be bred for working purposes to keep the gene pool strong.

We are rapidly losing the breed's working heritage.

I have a BC as well, he doesnt compete, but he does work "part time" we dont have any stock, but after talking with a neighbour who has cattle and an Aussie Cattle dog, arrangements were made for Meik to herd.
Its amazing how its so natural to them. The first time I watched him, i was floored. ( granted he doesnt understand the commands too well, he more or less follows Peppers lead)
If I had aquired Meik under different circumstances ( ie, actually researched the breed and had a 15 year plan, which face it you do need when you get a BC) I would have loved to work him more.
But... none the less, he gets his days where he is a herder, then his days where he is a dock dog, a frisbee dog, search and rescue around the yard dog, at home obedience champ, bizarre homemade agility champ and so on.
I love the breed, so versitile and willing to learn and work.
Heres some pics of him.

As soon as he came home to us ( he needed a bath, he was born in a barn and reeked of it)

Dock Dog demo

Frisbee demo

And finally, best in breed winner at his own personal show.

Boemy

I have a Border Collie x named Millie. She's brilliant. My next dog I plan to be another BC, probably rescue. I want to do herding trails, though. Millie was born with a lot of herding instinct but my mom always discouraged it.

Millie:

OMG, Ebony had ears JUST LIKE Millie's! Awwwww!

mrose_s

BusterLove
i do love BC's, but not too mad on them. Couldn't imagine life without a kelpie or ACD. (lucky Busters a bit of both)

RD

Are you dead yet?
I've got two borders myself and agree that they should only be bred for working purposes to keep the gene pool strong.

We are rapidly losing the breed's working heritage.
Beth, you need to post pictures of Popcorn and Pepper. How is Poppy feeling btw? I haven't checked the BC boards lately.

Members online

No members online now.