So-Called Obese Pets Held To Unrealistic Body Standards

krissy

As a rational, reasonably intelligent human being I am speechless.

As a veterinarian I want to give people like that a serious, blunt talk.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
"Animals know how and when to eat by instinct," said Travis Linsom, owner of a clinically overweight hamster. "Oscar only eats what he needs, then keeps the rest in his pouch while he sleeps in the corner all day. That's just how hamsters are. I'm not going to force Oscar to get on the wheel just because some vet is freaking out about hypoglycemia."
:rofl1::rofl1::rofl1:

The Onion is the best.

busannie

Though it is sad that I'm certain some owners think in this manner.
Too true. If I had a dollar for every crazy excuse people have to dismiss the fact that their dog is fat as a tick!
"He's just a BIG dog!"
"He loves to eat"
"He's SOLID, not like those skinny little __breed__ you usually see"
"He's SO much happier like this- I could never limit his food!"
"They're supposed to be stocky"
"He doesn't need to (ie: can't) walk, I'll carry him everywhere"

It's especially prevalent in dogs which were adopted/rescued in lean/thin condition- people want to fatten them up and tend to go way overboard.

Can't tell you how many times people have assumed that my lean (active, shiny, healthy) dogs were/are sick -or recently rescued from neglect- because they're "skinny". The poor things :rolleyes:

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
I did say it was satirical in the inital post :p

I'm starting to feel bad. My girls have no curves, does this mean the boys will never notice them? I feel like a terrible owner

krissy

^This.

And just in case some don't know, The Onion is satirical :p
Ah, well, they should have made it more ridiculous to make it obvious it was satire. It may be satirical and the actual people may be fake but those people actually exist in real life. I know because I see them every day and it drives me nuts.

Also, when people drive by and yell out the window "I'm going to report you for abuse! Feed your dogs, b**ch".

At an agility demo we did last summer my instructor actually had to field a question about Summit's weight, explain that it was normal and that we want our dogs to be in proper, fit shape when running agility.

Oh, and the client who got really angry because I marked down on her dog's health report that he was overweight. He may be a mastiff, but he still shouldn't weigh 250 lbs.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Too true. If I had a dollar for every crazy excuse people have to dismiss the fact that their dog is fat as a tick!
"He's just a BIG dog!"
"He loves to eat"
"He's SOLID, not like those skinny little __breed__ you usually see"
"He's SO much happier like this- I could never limit his food!"
"They're supposed to be stocky"
"He doesn't need to (ie: can't) walk, I'll carry him everywhere"

It's especially prevalent in dogs which were adopted/rescued in lean/thin condition- people want to fatten them up and tend to go way overboard.

Can't tell you how many times people have assumed that my lean (active, shiny, healthy) dogs were/are sick -or recently rescued from neglect- because they're "skinny". The poor things :rolleyes:
This.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
I get it all the time.

Especially with Rigby, who I think looks excellent now. She is thin (about 29lbs), but that's 10lbs heavier than she was when I first brought her home. Combine that with her fearful behaviour, and automatically "oh you must have recently rescued her" or "she will fatten up in no time!" ....um....no
She does eat as much as Cobain, who is around 42-45lbs, but runs a lot more excessively.

Then there's Oz. "No he can't be a beagle, look how thin he is"
*Gasps* a beagle with a waistline?! :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.