Dynamic duo

Does anyone have any advise on socializing a new 11 week old puppy with a 4-month old puppy. The 4-month old puppy seems pretty agressive, but it might just be how puppies play. I am not sure and the 11 week old puppy just kind sort of tries to get away. Is this normal?

No Response

Does anyone have any advise on socializing a new 11 week old puppy with a 4-month old puppy. The 4-month old puppy seems pretty agressive, but it might just be how puppies play. I am not sure and the 11 week old puppy just kind sort of tries to get away. Is this normal?
I thought this would be a simple thing to reply to since many of you have several dogs.... anyway they are getting along better. I can't believe I stumped the panel:D

hollybea

it sounds normal but without watching them its hard to say.
Its natural the older one that you already have with show dominance but i sounds like they are finding the right order, its best not to get invloved providing it doesnt get to rough, if it does give them time out, i do it with mine if it gets to much, i give them a few minutes apart then let them play again but if the go OTT again i seperate them till they calm down.
Im sure they will soon be the very best of friends.

carlar

Dog Lover Boutique
A lot of times the older pup is the more aggressive and you have to watch that the younger pup doesn't get hurt during play time. Maybe your older pup just needs to get used to the younger one and with time they'll be great buddies.

Herschel

Is the older dog getting rough or aggressive? There is a difference.

Does the older dog seem agitated? Is he bearing his teeth? Nervous?

Or does he just growl a lot and pin the younger dog when they play?

It is much more likely that the older dog is just getting too rough. You could teach Leave it. (http://www.shirleychong.com/keepers/archives/bite.txt)

Your dog might be too young to understand "Gentle", but you could try it:
-As soon as your dog gets too rough with either you or the puppy, then say, "Gentle" and remove it from the situation.
-After a minute or two, allow the dogs to play again.
-Repeat, and each time mark the command with Gentle.
-Most dogs figure it out pretty quickly.

Members online

No members online now.