Chloe keeps gaining weight!!

Hi everyone,

I'm really having problems with Chloe gaining so much weight!!! She has always had the tendency to be a bit chubby, but since she had her puppies, and is now spayed, she has gained alot of weight. We feed her twice a day, the same amount each time, as directed by the recommendation from her vet, and she just keeps getting heavier. She should weigh between 27-30 pounds. We weighed her last night and she weighs 44 lbs!!! :eek: We take her for walks, but it's getting to the point where she has to stop and lay down while going on a short walk. I'm really getting worried about her. She makes alot of noise when she breathes to, but she has pretty much always done that.

Any suggestions?

Dena

She is eating "Exclusive" food. I also give her a bit of chicken and vegetables two times per week. I adjust her dry food accordingly when I do that. It's funny...since I have cut her food back a bit, she seems to be gaining more weight.

When I switched the dogs from the regular Innova to the EVO formula Shiva dropped every bit of the baby pudginess she'd had. I can only think it was because of the significantly different protein/carb balance in the food. You might need to explore changing the ratio of proteins to carbs in a similar manner.

It's entirely possible that she's gaining even though her food is being cut back. Her metabolism could be doing what ours does when we diet too much; deciding we're being starved and slowing down to conserve nutrients.

It might be helpful to spread her meals out over several smaller portions throughout the day as well.

That makes sense Renee. I know for myself, when I starve I sometimes gain weight. I might just switch her food to see if that helps. I'm worried about her health, carrying all of that extra weight with those little short legs.

Thanks for your help.

Dena

Charley didn't believe me when I told him Shiva was carrying too much fat around. There were rolls above her tail when she'd stand up on her hind legs! Now that she's lost it and is sleek as an otter he can see the difference, lol!

One of these days I'm afraid I'm just going to give up and put myself on an EVO diet . . .

LOL....hmmm....maybe thats what I need.

I know that before I had my kids, I could eat whatever I wanted, and now...forget it!!!! I had never had to struggle with my weight until after child birth. Maybe thats what happened to Chloe.

Thanks for your help Renee. :D

Dena

candy722

I heard that when dogs get spayed or neutered they tend to eat more. I don't know why but people say that. Do you guys think it has to do with their inbalance hormones?

I know that in humans it is a hormone inbalance, so it would make sense that it would be the same in dogs. Those hormones sure can be a problem at times.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
is it possible that anyone else in the house is slipping her food? i have to watch everyone or mary who can beg like a champ would weigh a hundred pounds instead of her 70.

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
candy722 said:
I heard that when dogs get spayed or neutered they tend to eat more. I don't know why but people say that. Do you guys think it has to do with their inbalance hormones?
My vet said to me whe I had Gus neutered, that he may gain weight, not due to hormones or anything it's just that Male dogs have only two things on their minds, Food and Procreating. When you take one of them out of the picture, that leaves eating!! And gosh how they will eat!! :D

Gustav said:
My vet said to me whe I had Gus neutered, that he may gain weight, not due to hormones or anything it's just that Male dogs have only two things on their minds, Food and Procreating. When you take one of them out of the picture, that leaves eating!! And gosh how they will eat!! :D
Ha, maybe that is what happend to Blackie. lol :p He LOVES to eat!

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
Lol! certainly happened to Gus!! He wouldn't eat anything before he was "fixed", I used to worry about him constantly!! He would only eat like every 4 days no matter what I gave him!! If I put a steak down he wouldn't touch it!! And now he eats anything and everything!!! :D

Doberluv

You might ask your vet if it could possibly be due to a thyroid problem. That being ruled out, it is probably just that she is taking in more calories than she's expending, pretty much the usual reason for being overweight. So, just cut back the amount more. Also, don't forget treats add up and like it was said, she may be getting food from someone else. She obviously doesn't need what she's getting. And I agree with cutting back the carbs. Dogs eat meat and that's about all they need.

My Lab, as she got older really had a tendancy to gain weight and I cut her back significantly. It looked terrible...like I was hardly giving her anything. Twice a day she got 3/4 to 1 cup and she was a 75 LB dog at normal weight. But even with the walks, she must not have been burning too many calories.

Did you ever consider a raw food diet?

Well....good luck. You're right to be concerned. Obesity will shorten her life. Let us know what you and your vet come up with.

Good point Smkie....we are all really good about not feeding her snacks!!! When she exhibits a good behavior she might get a little treat. I do need to ask my neighbors, however if they have been slipping her treats over the fence. When I take my dogs over to their house it's like going to Grandma and Grandpa's. One time when I took Jackson Browne, my Doxie over there, I went to the bathroom while I was there for a visit, and when I came out she was about to feed him a piece of coconut cream pie. :eek: JB wasn't very happy with me when I came out and put a stop to that. LOL He thought he was about to have a taste of heaven. I will check with them and she if they have been slipping her goodies.

Thanks,
Dena :D

Members online

No members online now.