here we go

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
my first of i am sure many times this summer..your just getting ready to leave the parking lot when u see a dog in a car with the windows cracked only an inch. it is 75 degrees and getting warmer by the minute..the interior is black and a pitty is barking his head of..gee i wonder why. So i have victor with me and i cant go in the store so i get out of the car with vic and try to find someone that will alert the store manager. My third person is the cart man..an employee, gee maybe this will work so i show him the dog. He walks over there like he is going to be able to put the windows down himself..not what i wanted him to do.i wanted him to go into the store and put it out over the speaker..anyway he cant because this dog is all over the windows in snarls. It sees Victor and i have to quick get him out of site because the dog's snarling is only going to make him hotter. 15 minutes before that a$$ came out. Wish i could have made him sit in the car like that for that length of time. what a jerk.

Amstaffer

I would love to take one of those guys and give them some drugs to shut down their sweat glands and then lock them in the car for awhile....would be a teachable moment.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
can i watch? it just makes me crazy, i cannot just leave when i see that..so your stuck knowing that if the dog passes out most likely your going to break the freaking window. I mean i would..i haven't had to yet, but i had heat stroke. By the time the ambulance got there i was already cooling down that is when they said my temp was 106. They talked about whether or not i would have brain damage..they had to put an iv in my neck, the rest of my veins had collapsed. I can promise that stomach cramping doesn't begin to describe the pain u are in. The ambulance got me hydrated up and i had no long term effects from it but i learned the lesson well. Don't get tOO hot no matter what. I for some reason do not sweat much and i heat up very quickly.I figure that is what an animal would go thru too..were all mammals right?

roni

K-9 lover ;)
this brings up a conversation that i had with a co-worker a couple of weeks ago....it had become unseasonably hot (like 85 - 90 degrees). we were all getting ready to leave work and my co-worker said that his girlfriend was picking up a friend from the airport after work and meeting him for dinner and cocktails. his girlfriend works as a vet assistant and takes their dogs to work with her (like 3 or 4 dogs). i said "you can't leave those dogs in that vehicle while ya'll are in there eating and drinking." he said that they are "used to it". i was trying to get through to him how HOT it was outside...imagine how hot is was going to be inside. then i asked him if they were going to leave the car running and he laughed at me. please understand these dogs are in crates stacked on top of each other in the back of a ford explorer. the one dog is HUGE. i just had to leave...i didn't want to argue anymore with someone who was that cruel. come to find out they were in eating for about 2 hours and they opened the back window of the explorer for the dogs. big deal....like that helped with the dogs each being in crates. :(

bubbatd

Gee Smkie keep cool !!! I don't sweat much either....when I'm working out side I keep a bowl of ice water and a washcloth near me....wipe arms and face and put the cloth on my neck. when I get over heated I actually get goose bumps and get a chill. Time to quit and go in. I can leave all 5 of my windows in my 4x4 1/2 open and the skylight. Chip usually sleeps . I feel if it's not too hot for me and Chip isn't panting , we're safe. I agree, most windows are only cracked and the dogs ranting and barking and panting like mad !!! I've left notes under windshields. I had a van one summer and HATED it for the dogs !! Too hot!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
There was a hunter at the field trial that had his contender in the typical metal box with holes in it..im sure you have seen them and parked his truck in the sun..we all told him, repeatedly..finally he opened it up and his dog was already stroking so he ran it to the lake that was about a hundred feet away from where he parked and the dog died..i don't have that kind of control anymore,,,i would yank that box open today whether it was his truck or not. BAck then i was a teenager in a world of adults...go figure. I had my heatstroke in Jim's van while we waited at a very long traffic light. I had tried to tell Jim repeatedly that the heat was coming off the engine into my side of the front of the van..he ignored me saying NO NO IT"S JUST HOT..well it was 105 that day and that combined with the hot floor boards..(you could feel the heat thru your shoes and had to hold your feet up.. anyway i went into shock very quickly. Granted that light was about 5 minutes long so that was how long it took. I had stomach cramps so bad i couldn't stand up..and i lost my fluid thru my skin in minutes..i was literally laying in a lake on the tile floor of the tanning place...Jim covered me with cool towels while the ambulance came..that is why i said i was already cooler..that all happened about 5 minutes time..people just don't realize that standing in line at the grocery is longer then that even if they are getting just one item.

I HATE those metal boxes people transport their dogs in - especially the ones that are attached to the back of the truck or SUV - where the hot pavement just bakes, the exhaust fumes go directly into the box and if there's even a low impact fender bender the dogs are toast - literally and figuratively! :mad:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
you would have liked the trailer my boss designed..it could carry 5 dogs..and was vented so the air flowed thru nicely and wire crates were always aboard to get the dogs out of the trailer as quickly as possible. When we trialed we usually had 4 that way the middle one could stay open..and besides 4 dogs at one field trial will wear u out. Your forever going from one test site to another.Somehow i was always voted Marshall when i wasn't around..dirty pool that one..that meant i was in charge of getting each dog to the line and letting the next dog know that it was up. When it was raining i was the one that had to run around and find all those nice dry hunters sitting in their cabs..it also meant i knew where everyone was and what was happening at the test. I saw a lot of field trials and have met my share of idiot hunters and good conservationists..there doesn't seem to be an inbetween.

gapeach

Big Mutts
Ther are alot of those lil metal dog boxes around here. Or people will just have their poor dog standing in the back of the truck (which has a black liner) I've also seen a pittie in the back of a pickup that the owner was working on a construction site all day! I saw a man couple of days ago walking a shnauzer (sp) on the asphalt. These people are so stupid! :mad:

Just so everyone knows, you are completely justified in calling the police AND animal control when you see something like that. Even here in Colorado there are laws that deal specifically with leaving animals in cars in the heat. Don't be shy to call and tell someone. Remember that the dogs are counting on us. The kindness of strangers is what dogs are all about. It's better to meddle and save his life than to let him die for the sake of not being nosy.

We took Princess with us for the long drive to get Gracie, it was hot out. The air doesnt work right now so we had windows down and it was fine. We took the van, back seat taken out to give her walking around space. Water bowl with water at all times. We get out at this place and take Princess with us but we are outside the hole time. Then Princess started drooling heavily, almost like foaming. Couldnt figure out what was going on, was she to hot, was she overly anxious about the puppy? We left and she was still drooling, wouldnt have anything to do the puppy. We stopped shortly after we left to walk Princess and there was a creek down the hill. Took her down to the creek and she played in the water which surprised me since she acts like she hates water. After that she was bouncing around like normal, wanting to play with Gracie and made the trip home. We think she had overheated. She doesnt do any kind of heat well. 60 degrees outside and warmer and she wont play outside during the day. Gracie on the other hand doesnt seem to be bothered and she has 10xs the fur.

Members online

No members online now.