Trick of the Week! Leg weave

SaraB

Sorry I forgot to post this on Thursday! This week's trick is leg weaves! This is where the dog weaves between your legs as you are walking forward. Great trick for disc dogs, body coordination, warm up and it's just plain cool.

Ready.. Set.. Go!

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Bets on how long it takes for Payton to try and kill me with this trick?

I'm totally making nachos and then watching the game, but I think we'll work on this during football.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Frodo can already do this so we will have to think of something cool. But not too hard, both because he's sick, and I'm lazy :p

FG167

Kastle knows how to do this forward and backward. Eden can do it forward, but it scares the **** out of her so I won't teach her backward - I trip and accidentally touch them too much learning how to do it. Limit knows the standing figure 8 leg weave, I will work with him this week :)

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
For those of you who have dogs that weave backward (I know Zuma does this as well), how did you initially teach it?

Lyzelle

For those of you who have dogs that weave backward (I know Zuma does this as well), how did you initially teach it?
I bet "Back into me" is really helpful with that trick. I was thinking about altering Back Up for this trick and starting that way.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I bet "Back into me" is really helpful with that trick. I was thinking about altering Back Up for this trick and starting that way.
But Frodo doesn't know that one! lol

I was thinking of setting him up in a heel type position and rewarding for his back end swinging in at all? But if we are taking this one on this week then I want the path of least resistance!

I was a wee bit worried that this would scare Pip and/or Maisy, but... so far I have just lured them a few times and they are both YES I WILL RUN THROUGH YOUR LEGS AHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

FG167

I lured it. I taught Kastle to back up first, by thrusting food into his face and rewarding when he backed away. Then I taught him to do it between my legs. Then I added a spin to the backing up. We were stuck at 2 steps for a LONG time. Then I removed the lure and asked him to just figure it out. That took 3-4 sessions and now he can do it ok with no lure.

I shaped it, surprise surprise!

Rewarded for heel position and luckily (?) Traveler has a terrible formal heel so when he got bored enough he started to try and pivot, but since I wasn't moving his butt was aimed around me. I kept my legs spread apart so there was more room for success and just built on that.

But, pretty much I can teach him anything if it involves swinging his butt around.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I have a really adorable second idea, but IDK if Frodo is high energy enough, lmao.

SaraB

I shaped it. But was tricky about it:

I started with pedestal work (trkman's method of teaching heel) to teach my dog to swing her butt around. Once they were swinging reliably into me and "glued" to my leg when I moved, I removed the pedestal. Then I would just kind of fake them out, make them think we are doing a pivot but in reality step my leg out and they just magically slide backwards. From there it's all about reward placement.

Tazwell

Fleetwood is fluent in regular leg weaves, but I've never tried backwards because I feel like he's too tall. He has to duck down considerably to do a regular leg weave. He's really tall and I'm really short!

Has anybody taught this with a really tall dog?

Members online

No members online now.