Dual Breeding

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Ive heard of this before, and I just wondered what was the point in it? Im not a breeder, and I doubt I ever will be one (dont have the stomach for it, lol!) but I was interested in learning more about this, well, just because its an interesting practice. Im pretty sure its not done often but I dont know.

Thoughts on this?

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
I know what it is, and I've heard of it being done by accident, so its possible. And I know the UKC actually permits it. So, I don't know either. It sound like a very strange thing to do to me.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I mean, why would you want purebred pups when you dont know precisely who the father is? Im assuming that when this is done both sires have something to bring to the table, but still.. Its a little strange, yes.

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
Dual breeding is fairly common in UKC coonhounds. All the breeding stock have DNA on file, so you do know who the father is, you submit samples for the pups and sort them out.

Coonhounds have very large litters, up to 14 pups, so it makes a certain amount of sense to dual breed a bitch. Say you want to breed her to two different males. If you can do both at once, you save her having to go through two pregnancies, and no matter how well bred, it can be tough to find homes for fourteen identically bred pups. It's easier if you basically have two different smaller litters at the same time.

Sometimes breeders will combine frozen semen with live cover, too, to make it more likely the pregnancy will "take"

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
AKC permits dual sired litters as well. there actually are legitimate reasons to do this and with DNA available there's no confusion about it. Very expensive undertaking tho.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Ah. Id forgotten about DNA testing. That would make more sense. And about not having to go through two pregnancies. I bet testing is really expensive.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
the testing and required reg fees with AKC are quite a bit...think around $200 and that is before any stud fees etc.

For the older bitch who has maybe just one litter left...the stud dog who is older and has a low count, to cover yourself...to have less total breedings and whelpings for a bitch you own, etc. It's an option...but you always run the risk, like some people I know of doing it...paying the fees and ending up with NO pups being from one of the boys.

Members online