How To Do Paw/Bang/Roll-Over Trick

Hey everyone!

Seems like my Corgi mix has shown great improvement throughout the previous weeks as indicated by my troubles within the other thread.

She comes when called. Stays when instructed. Sits on command.

I'm just having trouble teaching Paw at the current moment.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I would love to try to get this trick taught.

I have tried saying "Paw" and grabbing her paw and then saying "good" and giving her the treat repetitively. Is this the best way to get it working?

I want to teach Bang (lean to the side as injured or playing dead) but that seems hard to do. I was thinking of it just like the other commands where you have to show them how to do it but I don't want to push her down on her side since it would almost be like alpha-rolling. Any suggestions?

mrose_s

BusterLove
I don't remember how i tauht buster "paw" but he can now hi-5 wherever my hand is.

"bang" i'm now teaching buster easily because when i stand close to him he rolls on his back for a belly rub. But you could try teaching it like "rollover" putting your dog in the down position then holding the treat just beside their face, as they go to take the treat they'll roll themselves over.
"

Maxy24

Paw was easy for Max. We just lifted paw, gave treat and repeated. The stuck out hand for a second, if he didn't give his paw we picked it up, gave treat and repeat. Eventually you come to the point where the dog either gives it to you when you tick your hand out or just leaves his paw sticking in the air for you. Then you can wait until he puts his paw down and stick your hand out.
Then add the cue word before you stick out your hand ("paw", stick out hand, take paw he gives you, give treat). Eventually he will get it.

I taught Phoebe to do this:

She loves to do this trick so it made it easier. I taught her to stand up first by dangling the treat over her head and giving it to her when he stood. Then I had her lay down and then roll onto her side. Getting her on her side was a little tricky. I moved the treat over sideways in an arch (like trying to get her to roll over) but I still needed to push her over onto her side. Once she was there she got the treat. I only had to force her about three times. It was not hard force, I just placed my hand on her side up by her chest so she could not pop up, the rest was left to her following the treat.
So then I had it so there was a signal for going up on her back legs, then one for her to go into a down and one for her to go on her side. I just did them over and over, I cut out the down command pretty fast so she went up then over (each time my right hand was giving the visual cue and my left was held like a gun) and eventually all I needed was the gun and she did both. Phoebe is a VERY fast learner so this took her about three training sessions before she would do it with the gun every time. Phoebe also knows paw which I turned into high five.

T

tessa_s212

Most everyone has gave you advice for molding. Unfortunately, molding is not the best training methods to teach dogs things. The bad thing about molding is that when forcing a dog through a series of actions(pushing on its butt for sit, taking its paw for shake) the dog is not really doing the action itself and takes much longer for the dog to really understand, and when they do, sometimes the behavior becomes dependent on the initiative(ie: you having to touch the dog's butt for it to know to sit).

If I put a treat in my hand and present it to the dog, most dogs will lick and nose at the hand, and eventually paw at it. I do this until the dog consistently understands that I want it to put its paw on my fist to get the treat. When they fully understand this, I switch it up a little bit and see if they will do it with an open hand. It might take awhile for the dog to guess correctly, but when they do, say "yes" and give them the treat. Repeat many times.

TopShelfPets

Thread Killer
When i taught Jager paw, i made sure he was i a "square" sit - both hips straight, not tucked under - and gently pulled on his collar so that he shifted his weight off the paw i was picking up. He was more balanced and comfortable that way.

Maxy24

Most everyone has gave you advice for molding. Unfortunately, molding is not the best training methods to teach dogs things. The bad thing about molding is that when forcing a dog through a series of actions(pushing on its butt for sit, taking its paw for shake) the dog is not really doing the action itself and takes much longer for the dog to really understand, and when they do, sometimes the behavior becomes dependent on the initiative(ie: you having to touch the dog's butt for it to know to sit).

If I put a treat in my hand and present it to the dog, most dogs will lick and nose at the hand, and eventually paw at it. I do this until the dog consistently understands that I want it to put its paw on my fist to get the treat. When they fully understand this, I switch it up a little bit and see if they will do it with an open hand. It might take awhile for the dog to guess correctly, but when they do, say "yes" and give them the treat. Repeat many times.

I understand what you are saying and agree if you can get your dog to do what you ask without picking up his paw then try that, it will teach him far faster since he has to figure it out by himself, it's a better way to learn. I just know with my dog he would NEVER paw at my hand, it was not something he did. He would loose interest far before he tried pawing. I'd never seen him paw at anything actually. Of course that probably makes him the minority. With my cats who I trained paw it was easy to get them to paw at my hand. So I agree if you can get him to give you his paw without actually picking it up for him then it will work much better. The same hold true for getting him to go on his side, if you can get him to do it without you pushing then do that. Phoebe just would not go on her side.

Cheetah

Fluffy Corgi Addict
Does your corgi ever lift his paw for anything, paw at you, etc.?

Shippo uses his paws a lot, and he pawed at my leg (gently) a lot if he got a little excited. I just took a clicker and shaped that behavior. I got him a little bit excited so that he'd go to paw at my leg, but I'd move my leg back and bit and stick my hand where his paw was about to land. Then click and treat. It only took me like 5 minutes to teach him paw. Later on, I was able to shape it into the "wave" trick. >^^;<

Members online