Might be training

Maxy24

Well last night my brother came home from his friend's house (21-22 years old) and started talking about his dog. He aid the dog reminded him of Max SOOO much (due to his bad behavior). He said the dog greeted you at the door like a maniac, jumping up, he's all over you. They went to take him out and he ran away, they called for him and he didn't even look back (I don't know exactly how this went, like if they took him out without a leash or what, I'll have to ask my brother). My brother and his friend left to go somewhere and when they got back the room was full of fluff because the dog killed the pillows. Then my brother said he had payed $500 for a trainer who did nothing and then my mom said "he should have had Erin train him" and I'm like "well yeah I probably could" and my brother was like "really, you do?" Then I explained about teaching the come command and how to train a dog to greet people and getting the dog a crate and lots of time occupying toys. I'll talk to my brother about it today and see if he will talk to his friend, I would love to train a Max like dog!

So now I just need to make a plan as to how I train My brother's friend. I mean I could train the dog, but that would require me to live there. I have to train his owner how to train the dog.

So I'll train the come command, show the owner how to. That's easy enough.

As far as greeting people, if he's like Max, the dog needs to learn some self control. I'll just do the ignore, then treat and attention when he stops/sits method. I'll tell the owner to practice with him and to have a container of treats by the door for when visitors come.

For destroying the house I figure he needs a crate and some toys to keep him busy (assuming he does not have separation anxiety, I think he's a puppy/young so it's probably just fun to destroy the house). I'll buy him a Kong, the crate is his responsibility to buy.

So does that sound good. I'll teach the owner how to do these things and we'll see how it goes. Also how often do you think I should go there to help him?

Doberluv

Sounds great Maxi! I know you could help this friend of your brothers as long as he's willing to let you show him some things. I bet you wouldn't have to go but a few times. You could explain things and even write them down so he has a reminder to look at. Your ideas sound great. He'd have to tell his visitors ahead of time to turn their backs on the dog when he's jumping up to greet them and please, be ready with a treat when the dog sits and some praise. Everyone who interacts with the dog must do the same and be consistant. Let us kow how it goes. I know you're perfectly capable of making a difference.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
That's awesome, Erin :) I'm sure you'll do great.

Once a week sessions would be good, that way if your brother is not teaching a command right you will be able to correct it before it gets worse.

Maxy24

Thanks guys!! My brother is going to talk to him today hopefully and see if I can do it. I'll do once a weeks session and until I feel he can handle things and then do a follow up maybe a month later. Plus since he is my brother's friend he has our number and can call any time. I should right the stuff down, that's a good idea. I'm super excited about it!

Doberluv

Yeah..you could make like a lesson plan....what you're going to show him, what his "homework" will be, how to practice, how to set the dog up for success. I thought of a few ideas that might help....hope you don't mind.

He could even pracitce with one friend like your brother in a set up scenario where your brother knocks on the door and comes in. When the dog sits and quiets down, and only then does your brother give treats and attention. While the dog is going ape, his owner can hold him on a leash....no corrections persay, just keep him back a bit...let the dog figure it out, that when he settles and sits, good things happen. That is how greetings are done.

Another thing that can be taught is for the pup to go to his "safe place" or his calming down place.....like a room or his crate when people come over. That way he gets a chance to get use to all the commotion but from a little distance. Sometimes dogs are so aroused and anxious by someone coming to the door that they just can't think. This gives them a routine which comforts them until things settle down. So, if the owner's helper knocks on the door, he can lead the pup to his crate pleasantly first before answering the door and give him a treat and/or stuffed Kong to associate the arrival of a friend with nice things.....and when he stops his barking, (some dogs will once the novelty of the visitor wears off a bit, but some won't for a long time) let him out on the leash to show him the rest of how it's done.....to sit nicely or no attention or treat. Be sure and don't let puppy out of crate until he's quiet for several seconds.

They could practice several times in a row. That way, he will be less apt to react so strongly due to habituation. But that can help teach him a new way to greet. A little barking is normal and that should be allowed to give warning. But he can also be taught "enough." So, the instant he stops barking when distracted, insert the cue word and give a treat.

With practice set-ups with one friend repeating the exercise, this will be a good way to show him instead of waiting for the BIG, HUGE event of someone coming unplanned. Then after a few reps, do something else so he doesn't get bored, so he ends the game wanting more.

For destroying the house I figure he needs a crate and some toys to keep him busy (assuming he does not have separation anxiety, I think he's a puppy/young so it's probably just fun to destroy the house). I'll buy him a Kong, the crate is his responsibility to buy.
Tell him not to forget some good romping type exercise and some brain work. When he can, hopefully he can get into a group class since that's so good for socialization. I hope he wants you to help and I hope it all goes great!

Maxy24

Thank you so much Doberluv!! you have no idea how much you have taught me since I've been here, now I know how to train dogs (no sticks necessary ;) ) effectively. Yeah i was thinking about getting someone to help us out with visiting over and over, I might get my friend to do it simply because i don't think my brother would listen very well and ignore the dog completely. Anyway, the first time I go I might just evaluate the dog so I know exactly what he does and how difficult he is going to be and how many other things he is having trouble with.

Doberluv

Thanks Maxi. That was nice.

Sounds good. Is he also planning on enrolling the dog in a puppy obedience class? If so, you could advise him on what to watch out for in trainers and to watch a class first. But if he's not that into it or can't afford it, I see nothing wrong with you helping out with some tips. I should think he'd be glad. I think you'd be great with the pup's manners and some basic obedience. But as far as training dogs in a broader sense, there are so many different behavior situations and causes for things that it's not always as easy as it seems to read them or to know what is behind some of the abnormal type behaviors. I think it takes lots of years of watching and working around dogs. And I just know you'll be getting that under your belt. I have a good feeling. I hope you do lots and lots of stuff with dogs in your future. I think you show a lot of compassion and understanding of dogs.

H

HandyMac

I have found leashing the overly excited dog when visitors come is more effective than crating. Now, that is only true when proper leash training has been done. Meaning the dog understands a leash correction and is compliant. Reason for this is simply that in a pack, a misbehaving pup/young dog gets an instant correction from the pack leader---or nearest dominant dog----when it makes a mistake.

For instance, I have a Rott/Shepherd mix who was totally out of control. The only thing he understood was when he acted up, he got crated. It did not change his acting up---he still acted up---barking and jumping at the fence/person---but then ran to his crate. I leash trained him---and weaned him off the crate. Now, when visitors come, he and the other dog have learned to sit quietly far enough away from the door, visitors can come in.

Maxy24

I have found leashing the overly excited dog when visitors come is more effective than crating.
I would not be using the crate for when he has visitors, it would be for when he is home alone. I agree that he must be trained not to jump on or bombard the visitor, not just prevented from doing so. For this I will be making the visitor (who will be my friend or someone who is helping us) ignore the dog until her stops jumping, then as soon as he stops he gets attention and a treat. Eventually the dog will realize what he needs to do to get what he wants. I do not use leash corrections though.

Members online

No members online now.