How to shut down...

canadianmandy

Certified Animallover!
a dog farm. ........
There is a place down the road from me... Actually down the highway... there is a row of like dozens of dogs in cages with a over turned plastic barrels for shelter...

I am thinking of "looking into" getting a puppy from them... And taking some choosey photos if you know what I mean... Wink Wink

Any Ideas on how to save these poor babies... any standard they should meet... any laws they may be breaking?

then again I might not be avble to keep my cool and end up stealing all her dogs.... or what a "ruff" life Im sure my parents would love it......

~`*Mandie*`*

tempura tantrum

Shiba Inu Slave
One thing to keep in mind- these people may be jerks, but they're probably not stupid.

A lot of puppymill operations have gotten really good at making sure that the sort of thing you're thinking about doing doesn't happen. Many operations refuse to allow you to bring a camera. Other simply won't let you into the kennel itself- you'll only come into contact with the puppies. (Who will often be sparkling-clean).

Basically- if they get the idea that you're not really there for a puppy, don't count on getting any decent dirt on them. They don't take kindly to types like us, and as hard as we try, it's often difficult to disguise our knowledge, or the REAL reason we're there.

As far as shutting them down- it's often really hard to do. A lot of times you've got to find blatant examples of mistreatment for any action to take place. IE: dogs with no access to water, *obviously* malnourished animals, dead dogs, puppies and dams covered in insects, animals forced to live in their own filth, or dogs living in cages FAR too small for them (ie: an inability to turn around).

If it's simply a place that has too many dogs- but they still *appear* (and that's the key word...it doesn't mean that they ARE), healthy, there's not much you can do. Especially if they have a commercial license. As disgusting as it is- many puppymills are licensed under the USDA, and the puppies are considered an agricultural product and nothing more.

EDIT: I see that you're in Missourri- which is pretty much the heart of commercial breeding operations. This means that more likely than not- they ARE licensed. Thus, the only way to get these guys investigated would be to provide the sort of proof of abuse/neglect I've explained above.

L

LabBreeder

Contact the closest SPCA group near you and the Dept. of Agriculture. This place is supposed to maintain sanitary conditions, food, water, vaccines up to date (routine health checks) and not sell before 8 weeks of age. They don't have to give guarantees, spay/neuter or socialize the dogs in any way unfortunately. *According to the SPCA around St. Louis - when I inquired about the Puppy Expo up there.*

I'll see if I can find some phone numbers or an email address for you.

toniaxp

Well me I would just go and snatch them all up but then again I wouldn't recommend doing most things I do. If you want to know if they are violating any laws just call your local humane society or animal protection agency and have them go take a look.

canadianmandy

Certified Animallover!
nikki No I have not gone in to the persons place they took their puppies forsale sign down so I guess as of this second their are no puppies. But My mom saw them recieving more cages and dogs :( .... As soon as the sign returns I am soooo there! They used to advertize on the Trading post (radio thing on in the morning (you call in if you have stuff to sell or trade or want something)) but me and my friend are gonna pop in one day and pose as potential buyersn and take "cute pictures" "to check with everyone else in the family on which one we want" of coarse their will be no purchase....

but I will let you know and post pics of my finds.... I love snooping!!!!!!!
mandie!

I know in PA there is a huge shortage of people (blanking on the titles and agency names) who keep tabs on puppy mills. Don't assume that's there's nothing you can do - maybe this place is breaking some laws and depending on lax/overburdened law enforcement to not find out. Many rotten businesses depend on luck to get along. Be their bad luck and call around to find out who does inspections of mills in your state, and alert them to the bad condition of the dogs/property. They might be interested.

canadianmandy

Certified Animallover!
toniax ..... I would take them all to ...but man that would be a huge vet bill.....I would even with all the costs but to get my parents to go along now that will be hard. It sucks having to ask for permission .....I would so take all of them if I wouldnt be killed for it....

C

cindr

puppies

Hi I would suggest that you be very very carefull doing this. Many of these idiots do not take likey to snoops or as they were to call them narc's. They would do just about anything to any one for closing them down. I would just as soon send an invesigator out and see what they find. They do do random investigations. If it were in the states all you have to do is call the AKC. They have personal investigators that are trained to do this type of work. Just send them out anonamosley. Safety for yourself and your family would and should be first on your mind. I am just asking you to be careful. That is all. your heart is in the right place

otch1

You are from Ava Missouri. Please google a Marilyn Shepard, sometimes she spells last name Sheperd. She is a puppy broker, also runs/owns www.pups4you.com. Some of the brokers in your town are distributing pups amongst several different kennels, under their different business names/licenses because they themselves are over their legal limit of dogs/puppies. Shepard is believed to have sold over 275 puppies last year. She was shutdown/sited for animal cruelty twice, 10 years ago, now operates in Ava. Missouri. All of these kennels/brokers have to have USDA licensing and have a limit on number of dogs housed. AKC has no jurisdiction over them. It is very easy to find their license status, just find out their name. Report them asap, if it's determined they are operating w/o a license. I will be right back with the contact number. Outside of that, as Tempura said, unless you can prove "cruelty", the USDA is simply giving warnings for suspected neglect. They are very leanient with these kennels, at this time. Good luck.

I dont know the law in Canada so be carefull.
Last time i closed down a PA Puppymill i got threats againest my dogs and me and made a long enemy list online...

"Hatred is gained as much by good works as by evil."

Would I do it again? sure but it was hard emotionally doing the right thing is not always easy....

Members online

No members online now.