Dalmations?

Boemy

Does anyone know of any reputable dalmation breeders?

General info on the breed would be great too! :) (I've heard they're active and shed like crazy!) I'm not getting a dog just yet, I'm just looking around at the moment.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
My neighbor had one, not so sure she was a wonderfully bred dog, as she was very short, and stocky, almost like a pit bull, but she was white w/ the black spots. The owner said she was full Dal though....She was a sweet dog. Not at all like the reputation the breed has for being bad with kids. She was really sweet to us, and my little sister (10, but i suppose she must've been around 7 or 8 then). Domino (the dal) was a big shedder, your clothes would be covered in white hair after contact with her. :) She really wasn't very hyper or active, but she was older, probably around 5, maybe 6yrs old. She was sweet, but that's the only Dalmation I've been in contact with besides my old dog, Patches, but he was Dal/Dane. He was a wonderful dog also. I'd like to see some more info on them though, also. We're looking into several different breeds, to possibly buy in the future. Good luck! :)

tempura tantrum

Shiba Inu Slave
I've heard good things about JLS.

I used to know someone who was very heavy into Dals, and their ultimate goal was to get a JLS dog.

And seriously, who couldn't love Newt? Gorgeous animal.

I didn't look over the site all that carefully, but it's good to see that they've got the results of their BAER testing up for each of the dogs.

I wouldn't even consider getting a Dalmatian from a breeder that didn't find this crucial.

Dals are *incredibly* active (some would say bordering on hyper). So you can bet they won't be a good match for anyone who would rather sit on the couch than go for a run.

I'd have a look at the National Breed Club's breeder referral if I were you. They can often steer you in the right direction- as they'll truly be in the know.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Hey, JLS is like 40 minutes from me!

I've met one fantastic Dal, just as sweet and good natured as could be--the type that probably inspired 101 Dalmations. The others I met have mostly been..."iffy"...they stare at you with a look that gives the impression they're sizing you up so they can see how much trouble they can cause before you do anything. Kind of snappy and just not the most balanced feeling of dogs. Love the coats though, so very soft!

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
i have met two. i dont know how well bred, but they were both agressive. not just barking, they have been known to bite

tempura tantrum

Shiba Inu Slave
Zoom and Rabbits have brought up some good points- in these guys, finding someone who is REALLY concerned with balanced temperaments is key.

Unfortunately, due to their extreme popularity after 101 Dalmatians, there are TONS of people breeding unsound, temperamentally unstable dogs. In a breed with as much energy and excitability as a Dal, an unsound temperament would just be disaster.

Best bet would be to meet *several* of your prospective breeder's dogs and see how they behave.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
I've met a few Dalmations - Definately get from a GOOD breeder! One that has credentials and testing done to each dog before it was bred!

Our neighbour had a dalmation for a bit - beautiful dog.. HORRIBLE temper. It bit their younger childs face and she has a premanent scare, she tried biting anyone she got near. She was PTS around 2 or 3 yrs old b/c of her bite record and they did try with her.

Another Dalmation I knew was a rescue and extremely Dog Aggresive, but she went all the way to Masters level in Agility and was featured on Top Dog two years ago! Very sweet personality and excellent with young children. The ladies young kids used to pull on her ears, shove things in her nose and she just stood there lol

The other two Dals that I met were a friends and they were VERy friendly with people and other dogs - but they also came from a great breeder.

yes they ARE hyper as well!! They are like a Jack Russel almost!

iheartsammy

ME+DOGS=CRAZY
Dalmatians are really good dogs! that is if you get them from a good breeder, train them, and socialize them right! They love to be with people, and might get distructive if left alone. and of course A way to find a good breeder is most likely to go to a dogs show and take to some Dalmatian owners/breeders I'm sure they'ed be happy to help you. It's also good to make sure you buy from a reputive (sp) breeder because Dals that are breed by BYB are more then likely going to be hyper active and could even be deaf along with some other inherited illnesses. And yes they do shed like crazy! :D also they have been known to form kindey stones so a diet with low protein would be best. I'd suggest that you research ALOT more! Dalmatians can be a tough breed to handle if you don't know what your doing!

FYI...It's spelt Dalmatian not Dalmation

RD

Are you dead yet?
I grew up around a LOVELY Dal. She actually was a fireman's dog, named Sparky. She went to the station with him often and was a complete JOY to be around. I was about 8 years old when she died and she put up with my prodding, pulling, poking and other general "kiddie crap".

She was amazing and even though she wasn't the picture of perfection (blue eyes, a patch on her butt and WAY too leggy) she was what I think a Dal should be.

I have never met another Dal even remotely like Sparky. Most have had problems with instability, nervousness and aggression. I really think a lot of this is caused by their pent-up energy. Not many people have what it takes to give a Dal the exercise they need. While other super high energy breeds like Border Collies need physical exercise, they settle down if they are given a job to do. Dals just need to RUN. Sparky used to run alongside her owners on horseback for miles every day; perhaps that was part of what made her such a stable, confident, relaxed dog.

PixieSticksandTricks

Athletic Labs. They Exist
Does anyone know of any reputable dalmation breeders?

General info on the breed would be great too! :) (I've heard they're active and shed like crazy!) I'm not getting a dog just yet, I'm just looking around at the moment.
We owned two working Dals when we had our farm and I was very young. And yes they shed like crazy and yes they are energetic. It is best they have a job or a good energy outlet. They are smart but can also be stubborn and like any breed should be socialized well. It is hard to fin a reputable Dal breeder anymore sadly. And they are prone to deafness and other health problems. I don't know of any reputable breeders at the moment but you could always look into a rescue (sometimes they even get puppies).

Tinaweena

Well I don't know a whole lot about the breed...I've met maybe 7 or 8.
I am yet to meet a sweet one that I fully trust.
Usually they are standoffish and kinda snappy (the ones I've met)

When I was a kid there was one in our neighbourhood and it got offleash and chased me (about 6 years old then) right up to my front door, growling, and all I did was come into it's line of sight. Luckily my dad was at the door and was able to kick it away.
(No I don't blame him for doing it, this dog was showing it's teeth, growling and running at his 6 year old daughter)

iheartsammy

ME+DOGS=CRAZY
This is Sad! Some of you guys have never met a good Dal! They really are great dogs! but when you add up bad breeding, irresponcible owners, and lack of attention... you will get a aggresive dog. That goes for any breed...

PixieSticksandTricks

Athletic Labs. They Exist
This is Sad! Some of you guys have never met a good Dal! They really are great dogs! but when you add up bad breeding, irresponcible owners, and lack of attention... you will get a aggresive dog. That goes for any breed...
I agree our two Dals were the pictures of perfection well bred and well trained. The sweetest most trustworthy dogs you could imagine. But some people assume that because it is a "friendly" breed that they shouldn't socialize and train a Dal like you would a GSD or Rottie or Pit......or any breed. And so those dogs become aggressive, nervous, and spaztic. I have met plenty of badly bred and badly trained Dals in my time more then I would like to admit and its sad because I love the breed.

Members online

No members online now.