Can anyone make like a write-up to tell me what all these abbreviations mean?

makenzie71

all of them...seriously...it needs to be compiled because only a portion of you people are in the loop as to what the hell a cgophtlqx is...I know I'm not the one who has to hit up google to figure out what some random abreviation is every other thread...

Zoom

Twin 2.0
BC - border collie
CO- Cacausian Ovcharka
GR - Golden Retriever
LOL - Laughing Out Loud (i'm sure you knew that one though)
BM - Blue merle
LGD- Livestock Guardian Dog
CGC - Canine Good Citizen
GSD - German Shepherd Dog

It would also help if you would point out the ones you were really curious about...those are just the ones I recall seeing from today

zoe08

These are ones he told me he wanted to know...I havent seen them though

cng?
dcm?
aop?

makenzie71

^the aop one was a joke but the other two I'd like to know...

I really think that as many as possible need to be compiled...not just ones I'm curious about. I know what some are but I get asked occasionally by other people what some mean. I think it'd be a good tool for everyone (and I don't really think it's breed specific but this is where I see most of them).

To add to the list (I'll organize it later, if you see one not listed, add it)

BC - border collie
CO- Cacausian Ovcharka
GR - Golden Retriever
BM - Blue merle
LGD- Livestock Guardian Dog
CGC - Canine Good Citizen
GSD - German Shepherd Dog
ACD - Australian Cattle Dog
RB - Rainbow Bridge
CHD - Canine Hip Displasia
BSD - Belgian Sheperd Dog

RD

Are you dead yet?
No idea what CNG is, but DCM is an abbreviation for dilated cardiomyopathy

Are these only dog-related ones? I kind of assume everyone knows the "net-speak" abbreviations like LOL, IMO etc.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Zoom listed them already.

CGC - Canine Good Citizen, it's a test that AKC (american kennel club, btw) offers. Canada has something similar but it is called the CGN or Canine Good Neighbor test.

someone should sticky it with a title like "abbreviations" so it's easy for people to find. just a suggestion :D

IliamnasQuest

Loves off-leash training!
If you're talking dog breeds, they're usually just the initials - like GSD for German Shepherd Dog, OES for Old English Sheepdog, etc. Sometimes I have to look at one and guess breeds until I find one that fits .. *L*

Titles can be very confusing because they differ from venue to venue. AKC titles are not necessarily the same as CKC, NADAC, etc. So I'll list a few here.

AKC (American Kennel Club)
RN - Rally Novice (first rally title)
RA - Rally Advanced (second rally title)
RE - Rally Excellent (third rally title)
CGC (Canine Good Citizen - basic temperament test)
CD - Companion Dog (first obedience title)
CDX - Companion Dog Excellent (second obedience title)
UD - Utility Dog (third obedience title)
UDX - Utility Dog Excellent (Obedience title earned from Utility and Open class qualifying scores)
OTCH - Obedience Trial Champion
NA - Novice Agility
NAJ - Novice Agility Jumpers
OA - Open Agility
OAJ - Open Agility Jumpers
AX - Agility Excellent
AXJ - Agility Excellent Jumpers
MXJ - Master Excellent Jumpers
MACH - Master Agility Champion
(Agility titles can be followed by a "P" to indicate preferred class)
TD - Tracking Dog
TDX - Tracking Dog Excellent
VST - Variable Surface Tracking (not sure about this one)
VCD - Versatile Companion Dog (dog which has earned obedience, agility and tracking titles - can be VCD1, VCD2, or VCD3 depending on the levels they've acquired)
CH - Conformation Championship

CKC (Canadian Kennel Club) has similar obedience titles (CD, CDX, UD, also TD and TDX), not sure on the others. They also do CH.

ASCA (Australian Shepherd Club of America) also does all-breed obedience titles as listed above.

UKC (United Kennel Club) does U-CD, U-CDX and U-UD along with CH and various agility titles (U-AGI, U-AGII, U-ACH, U-ACHX).

NADAC (North American Dog Agility Council)
NAC - Novice Agility Certificate
NJC - Novice Jumpers Certificate
OAC - Open Agility Certificate
OJC - Open Jumpers Certificate
EAC - Excellent Agility Certificate
EJC - Excellent Jumpers Certificate
NATCH - North American Agility Trial Champion
(There are other titles too - Gamblers, Tunnelers, etc. Titles followed by a "V" indicate Veteran).

There are also various herding titles - I don't remember them all but I know that AKC has the PT and ASCA has the STD (Started Trial Dog) followed by a small "s" for sheep, small "c" for cattle, small "d" for ducks.

Schutzhund has the BH (temperament test), Sch1, Sch2, Sch3, AD (endurance test) and some others I can't remember right off-hand.

There's TT (Temperament tested) as well as HIC (Herding instinct certified) and HIT (High in Trial).

And of course there are titles for field trials, hunting tests, lure coursing, etc. There are SO many things you can do with your dogs.

Then we get into abbreviations like ROM (Register of Merit) and AOM (Award of Merit) and I'm not sure how they are awarded - I believe at least one of them has to do with offspring earning titles and therefore points for the sire/dam. There's also BIS (Best in Show) and BISS (Best in Specialty Show).

And we can get into the OFA (Orthopedic Foundation of Animals - hips x-rayed and evaluated) and OFE (same but elbows instead), plus CERF (can't recall what it stands for but it has to do with eye testing).

The abbreviations just go on and on .. *L* .. there are a lot I haven't listed, mostly venues I've never shown in so I'm not familiar with them at all.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
U-CD Kylee (CC) CDX NA NAJ CGC, CKC/ASCA CD, NAC NJC, HIC, BH
Trick (GSD) AKC/CKC/ASCA CD, NAP NJP RN CGC, HIC
Dora (CC) NA NAJ CGC 1/3 CD
Tori (GSD) and Khana (CC)
.. and always in my heart .. Dawson (GSD) UD CGC HIC 2X HIT and Lady (ASD) UD CGC STDs 2X HIT

(sorry, couldn't resist listing all their abbreviations .. *LOL*)

bubbatd

CGC ---- Canine Good Citizen..... obtained before the TDI ---Therapy Dog International.

Members online

No members online now.