What do you wish you'd named your dog? What did you almost choose?

I haven't named any of my dogs ever :( They have them or my wife does. I got to name a cat once when I was a little kid, he was Kit cat. and I named one of our 4, Lester :) Well 3 cats I guess. our old guy said goodbye last Friday. The coolest ****ing cat I ever knew.

but I probably wouldn't change any of them anyway.

GipsyQueen

Gipsy was names after the Gipsy Kings. She almost became a Lilly, and boy, she was NOT a Lilly. ;) her name suited her perfectly. Her registared name ended up being a mix out of her namesake and our old neighbourhood. "Gipsy Queen of Highwoods"

Zora... well her name was HARD. We had a list going for names before we even knew she was even concieved. ;) We "had" to choose 2 names, so that didn't make it any easier. ;) She had to have a "C" name for her registared name, so that took a really long time. At the end it was between Chika & Chinook. I Vetoed Chika (because blech) and she because "Chinook de la Foret de Thuringe" (de la Foret de Thuringe is her kennel name). I LOVE the name Chinook and for a while we were just going to call her Chinook... but then decided to make things easier for everyone and decied on an easier name. Ended up having to choose between Zora and Aimee. Zora stuck and it fits that dog way to good.

Oh and Snoopy (the bunny) came with the name Snoopy. It just kind of stuck... dunno why. I would have named Fridolin. :p

Torch

Henry was very nearly Harry. When I suggested Harry, my mom wasn't crazy about it, and suggested Henry instead, which was part of the registered name of her childhood beagle, Prince Henry. They had always called him Prince, though. My dad heard Henry and immediately said, "Oh, like the Henry rifle. Cool!" So Henry stuck. But it fits him extremely well so I'm happy.

Hopefully Rhys fits his name. He comes home Sunday and I love his name, which we arrived at after MUCH deliberation. His breeder has been calling him Rhys and thinks it fits him well :) His litter name was Podrick, so I promised to keep that as his 'middle' name, as I think it's super cute.

His registered name is going to be Skye's Heir of the Dragon.

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
Watson came to us with that call name and his registered name given by his breeder. I loved both... Watson is an awesome name. It made me think of every Sherlock Holmes story I had ever read as a kid...and of course being a since nerd my mind when to Watson and Crick immidiately :D

His registered name is Laurel'S Say What... There is no better name for a basenji. "Say what...I can't hear you!" ;)

Menchi we named and some here recognized the play on the Anime Excel Saga. So yes her name came from an anime series.

It suits her well... You can often hear me call her Chichi as well.

JacksonsMom

I honestly think Jackson was named Mason in another life.

I've had 3 people that have been around him often that accidentally call him Mason, ALL the time. lol. My dad has an employee that works out of our house and she's over every day and has often times mistakenly called him Mason. She's like WHY do I do that?! And then the other day one of my friends who I see often as well did the same thing (and the two don't know each other, or the fact that they both have called him Mason lol). then someone at the dog park did it once.

And honestly, I think he does kind of look like a Mason. I couldn't really picture him being anything else but Jackson (even from the time I had his picture, I tried other names, and kept coming back to Jackson).

So yeah if I could name him anything else, I think I'd have to go with Mason, LOL. Plus it comes out easier for some reason than Jackson. Sometimes Jackson seems too long, so I often just call him Jax.

DJEtzel

I honestly think Jackson was named Mason in another life.

I've had 3 people that have been around him often that accidentally call him Mason, ALL the time. lol. My dad has an employee that works out of our house and she's over every day and has often times mistakenly called him Mason. She's like WHY do I do that?! And then the other day one of my friends who I see often as well did the same thing (and the two don't know each other, or the fact that they both have called him Mason lol). then someone at the dog park did it once.

And honestly, I think he does kind of look like a Mason. I couldn't really picture him being anything else but Jackson (even from the time I had his picture, I tried other names, and kept coming back to Jackson).

So yeah if I could name him anything else, I think I'd have to go with Mason, LOL. Plus it comes out easier for some reason than Jackson. Sometimes Jackson seems too long, so I often just call him Jax.
That is so hilarious! :rofl1:

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Abrams has always been an Abrams. When I was thinking of Future Puppy names, I wasn't having much luck. Mike is a big tank nerd, so I thought, "Well, we could name him after a tank. Especially since he'll be big!" I also read a breed description of Chessies being the "tank" of the retrievers. Mike gave me a ton of options, and Abrams and Sherman were my favorite, with Abrams being my number one pick. When we went to pick him up, we waited until we arrived home to officially name him, and Abrams it was.

Mom calls him Buster. *rolls eyes*

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
^This happened to me quite often with my horse. My old trainer seemed to think his name was Romeo. She couldn't help but call him Romeo, even though his name was Diego. I hated the name Diego, so I ended up changing it to Romeo. It was just so weird, as she was normally great with names.

Jackson would be an adorable Mason, fyi. Lol.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Summer came to me at 4 as Summer. I'd known her since she was a pup as Summer so changing it would have been weird even though I have a relative named Summer too.

Mia came to me as Gayla and that was just icky. She was almost named Spring or Bounce which are great names but sound way too nice for Mia. I had pretty much settled on Maya but wasn't really sold on it for her. My Dad suggested Mia and it just fit. Mia means mine/my an that's exactly what Mia is. Mia somehow fits her well even though its a little....proper for such a hooligan. She gets called Brat or You Little Fart more often than not anyways.

Last edited:
Smalls was always going to be Smalls, before I even got a dog at all. Saved the name for years and she was my first dog, so she is Smalls. At the shelter she was Daisy or something that did not really suit the sort of names I like, so all the better.

District Attorney Jack McCoy was also another pre-picked name and it just happened to be perfect that an Elkhound ended up with it. His name at the rescue was Elwin. Do not like.

Now the first Dachshund I got was going to be named Handbanana, but when I found Jonas I couldn't do it. Jonas is my favorite male name and since I will never have kids it went right to a dog. In retrospect I wish I named him Guppy, but what can you. He was Sir Hot Cocoa at the rescue.

Magpie came as Magpie and will die as Magpie. I almost changed her name to Indie after we adopted her but Magpie stayed. I initially hated the name but now I can't see her as any thing else.

Shambles was Clove and I did not like his name. I considered naming him Havoc, but I've heard quite a few dogs with that name so I was stuck. Sassafras pulled out Shambles and **** it if it isn't perfect.

Elsa was named for Elsa the Lioness and her adopter has kept her name. She was "Lolly Doo" whatever the hell that means at the shelter.

JacksonsMom

That is so hilarious! :rofl1:
Lol, I know right, so weird.

^This happened to me quite often with my horse. My old trainer seemed to think his name was Romeo. She couldn't help but call him Romeo, even though his name was Diego. I hated the name Diego, so I ended up changing it to Romeo. It was just so weird, as she was normally great with names.

Jackson would be an adorable Mason, fyi. Lol.

ha! That's too funny.

Maybe I will name my next dog Mason. haha!

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
We had a long list for Juno. I know Magic and Cajun were frontrunners. Don't really remember any of the others. Ultimately Juno was the one everyone agreed with most, and I can't imagine calling her anything else (though I do still really like Magic and Cajun!). There was no rhyme or reason for any of the names - just found online. We did toy with spelling it Juneau but I figured a simpler spelling would be easier for everyone.

Lucy was pretty much always Lucy. It was the only name we could think of. I hated it but I admitted I couldn't think of anything that sounded better, so it stuck. I think Winnie was another one we tossed around. But I think Lucy fits her now.

DJEtzel

We had a long list for Juno. I know Magic and Cajun were frontrunners. Don't really remember any of the others. Ultimately Juno was the one everyone agreed with most, and I can't imagine calling her anything else (though I do still really like Magic and Cajun!). There was no rhyme or reason for any of the names - just found online. We did toy with spelling it Juneau but I figured a simpler spelling would be easier for everyone.

Lucy was pretty much always Lucy. It was the only name we could think of. I hated it but I admitted I couldn't think of anything that sounded better, so it stuck. I think Winnie was another one we tossed around. But I think Lucy fits her now.
I dock dive/play agility with a lab named Juneau. Holy crap, no one can pronounce it! Really!? They butcher it when she's on the dock and she always has to yell the pronounciation to them. Probably best you simplified it.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Rosey is what happens when you allow a 6 year old to name the dog. We all chose a name, stood in a circle and called out said name and let her "chose". My middle name is Rose, so I thought it was be OH SO AWESOME to name her after me :p It's been so long, that I can't remember what they other contenders were. I can't imagine her being anything but Rosey, though. It just.. fit.

I let other people name my ferrets, cause I suck at names. So it was always "oh ok, I like that, let's go with it!" rather than having a list.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I didn't name Pepper and I'm not crazy about it, but I have no clue what else her name would be. Plus she's been Pepper for almost the entire time I knew her (not counting when she was a tiny nameless puppy) so I never really thought about changing it. Since I never planned on a bitch and still don't plan on it, I don't even have a girl name list, so no clue what I would pick instead. I can't really look at her and see any other name.

Auggie is 100% Auggie. My two top picks at the time were Auggie and Harley, but after we went to visit the pups and I picked which one I wanted, Harley wasn't really in the running anymore. Auggie was right from that very moment.

Payton is definitely the right name for him too. Honestly when I was trying to pick his name, I settled on Payton early, then vetoed it because so many people kept going "Oh Peyton Manning, I love him!" NO. So I tried about fifty different names, but after a week of being unable to feel like anything else "fit" properly, I realized that Payton was it. I was sitting outside going over my name list with my mom, and I went through the entire list and nothing felt right, and I just put the paper down and said "Payton." We looked at each other and I said it again, "Payton. That's it." "Yeah. That's it." I think Payton was truthfully the only name that was ever really right. I just can't think of anything that would be better for him, because we tried, LOL.

Georgie has a perfect name too. The only other real possibility was Monkey, and her co-owner vetoed that one. She wanted Rockette, but it wasn't working. We tried just Rocky but that wasn't right either. I looked up girl names and stumbled on Georgette, which I liked and thought "it's close to Georgia." But we were 100% sold on it. So I suggested "Georgie" for short. We get the reference to Georgia, plus a reference to Curious George (monkey!). Again I don't think there's anything better that would have worked for her.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Wesley was almost named Squidfeet.

I still like the name Squid (on my puppy name list), but Wesley suits him.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
To those who followed the original puppy thread, Merlin started out as Duke.
the name suited him lol same with all the puppies in the litter it's the kind of thing where there were so many pictures and it all just...seemed to fit.

here were the final choices... (I was pretty sure I was going to go with Pan)
- Pan
- Potter
- Hubble
- Nova
- Merlin
- Rory
- Toulouse
- Duke

Pan (pantalaimon) just didn't seem to suit him..in the end the forum really liked Merlin and it seemed to really suit him sooo lol Merlin it is.

I love Merlin's name..and it just suits him so well. Brave, Goofy, Lovey, magical, kind of dopey... MERLIN! haha plus it's pretty original!

Given another chance at naming him again, I'd go with something more easily shortened to one syllable.
perhaps...

I still really like hubble :)

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Given another chance at naming him again, I'd go with something more easily shortened to one syllable.
One of my agility students has a Merlin. When running him it's Mer Mer Mer!

Or you can totally just go the P-is-for-Payton route and call him M. XD

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I think both my dogs just really suit their names. Talon was always going to be Talon. We got it from that tv show Farscape, the baby ship was named Talon, but we changed the spelling to a birds claw type spelling. I can't imagine him any other way.

Artimis, I love his name. Greek goddesses follower renamed himself after her and that's why it suits my little follower. ;) He was going to be Tobias (toby), Damion (demon dog), Satan (haha not really, maybe for a second), Dexter, and a few others. We kept flip-flopping, but my sister suggested Artimis and it really just suited him.

My next dog will be named "Of the Que Continuum" and we will call him Q. :D I'm such a nerd! :rofl1:

Members online

No members online now.