Acrylic Brandy (once again)

Brandyb

I've come to really like painting with a black background. I did a painting of a pepper for the kitchen like this, and then I thought I'd experiment with Brandy before I tried other dogs. Thanks for looking!! :)
11x14 acrylic on stretched canvas.

This is the reference:

And this is the completed piece:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
lol that is just da bomb...Your style is developing nicely! Great teeth:D There is energy is your brushstrokes that just make you feel how much play came before the resting pose.

Brandyb

Thanks guys for the wonderful compliments - I really appreciate it.
Smkie, I really like how this style is just "fitting" with me - thanks so much!! :)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I think when you are able to capture the idea of motion in a resting pose, you have done something huge. EVen the ball as activity just waiting to go again.

lives4dogshows

Find your bliss!
What is it like to work with acrylics? I got some for xmas but I have been afraid of them lol! I'm so used to pencil and other novice stuff like that *blush*

Brandyb

Thank you very much!!!!

lives4dogshows acrylics are a great medium to work in, but you really have to get used to the speed at which they dry. Blending can be tough if you wait too long. But i love the vivid colours that accompany them, and the bold lines. Also, the fact that if you make a mistake you can paint right over it is a major bonus ;)
Don't be afraid to use them - try them out on some illustration board, get a feel for how they flow, how to mix and how to lay down colour. Experiment a little first - you'll eventually fall into a style and comfortable way in which you can utilize them.
But remember, pencil, coloured pencil or any of those types of mediums are not novice stuff. Yes, they are how a lot people start out, but beautiful intricate work can be created with these, so don't be embarassed that this is your main medium for now. Its a great place to start, and a wonderful place to learn and grow. :)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
acrylic is what i use and speed is everything, i don't know about your brand but for me the ones i use are cheap. That is a major bonus for me. IF i need to fine line i use a coat of non yellowing polyurathane inbetween the layers.

Members online

No members online now.