Opinions on this Breeder?

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I remember looking at them once upon a time. Decided the breeder wasn't my cup of tea (too "commerical"? for me, I suppose), but not for any particular reason, though. I'm assuming they health test, but I don't really remember. I am struck once again by how much some of their studs look like Blackie did. <3

Xandra

Hmm I like the look of many of their dogs and their philosophy (calm, reliable retriever). I'd want to know more about how they select their dams (seems most of the sires have titles, but the dams don't have any listed). I'd also want to know more about puppy selection--they seem pretty commercial and I'd worry about getting the right pup.

Pops2

IF you're turning out GOOD dogs (healthy, sound temperament & such) whats the harm in being a little commercial? if the puppy mills & BYBs produced good dogs & only as much as the market will bear in a good environment for the dogs, would anyone really take issue?

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
IF you're turning out GOOD dogs (healthy, sound temperament & such) whats the harm in being a little commercial? if the puppy mills & BYBs produced good dogs & only as much as the market will bear in a good environment for the dogs, would anyone really take issue?
^ This is true. I personally like a more "personal" versus "commericial" feel for my breeder, but if they are producing good dogs it really only comes down to personal preference.

MicksMom

I'm not crazy about the three different locations. It's not easy keeping the same "standard of operations" (for lack of a better phrase) at more than one place. My other concern is that I didn't see any mention of health testing, BUT, that doesn't mean they don't do it.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Assuming that proper health testing takes place... those are some of the nicest, most balanced Labs I've seen! :) When I saw "UK Labs" I was thinking of the standard overweight Rottie-looking Labs I'm used to seeing when I hear "English Labrador".

The mill like vibe isn't my favorite, but I'm also never going to get a Lab, so I'm not that bothered by it. Considering the fact that Labs are (by TWICE as many registered dogs as the second most popular breed) insanely popular family dogs, it's awesome that a breeding program is producing athletic, sound working dogs who are also calm and family friendly. And they're beautiful! Field Labs tend to lack in the looks department, lots of snipy noses and badly put together. I don't know if it's just in my area, but I see so many Labs with barrel bodies and skinny legs, just unbalanced but that's "ok" because they're "working dogs". I meet a lot of field Labs who are perfectly nice working dogs but who are wayyyy too hyper & way too much dog for the family that innocently bought them as a puppy... not that I prefer that to giant, out of standard Labs who couldn't perform the job that the breed is intended for. I'd much rather this breeder producing lots of quality dogs than a bunch of BYB's producing physically/temperamentally unsound, out of standard, neurotically hyper or shockingly sedate Labs. There is a huge demand for the breed and this breeder seems excellent. The fact that they produce hunting dogs AND service dogs from the same stock is amazing.

Members online

No members online now.