Looking into Malamutes

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
Ok I know I havent posted on this board before but I have seen a few people i know from other boards on here so anyways. As some of you know I raise and train sled dogs Mainly Siberian Huskies, and Chinooks. I am a very picky breeder and my dogs go through tons of health tests to even consider breeding my dogs. I own 15 SH 5 of which are breeding dogs and 8 Chinooks 4 of which are breeding dogs. Well right now I am pretty comfortable money wise and am considering buying a Alaskan Malamute. My parents who also are in the same business as me are strictly Husky people but have thrown in a couple Mal's in the mix from time to time and they contributed well to the team and work with their great stamina and power. Im pretty knowledgable about this breed but if anyone on here owns or has owned one and has any thing extra to add i would love to know. Im wanting a Sled dog/pet and maybe possibly in the future a breeding dog but im not sure yet. Im think more so a pet/sled dog really. Anyways any extra info would be great :) .

I don't really know a whole bunch about them, but our neighbor had a female Malamute named Loupie that lived over at our house. (She only went home to eat. Then she came right back over to our house. lol) She was really fat, but the sweetest dog ever. She did get into a couple of fights with Rose (my female dog) but since Rose was subbmisive, it didn't really happen a whole bunch. She did have a serious dog aggression problem though. I think the only dogs she tolorated were Rose and Blackie. Every other dog, she'd try to eat. She also had a taste for cats. We had to rescue a kitten from her that she was carrying around in her mouth, and she drug up a dead cat one time. And whenever she shedded, it looked liked our yard had snow all over it! lol

But aside from her animal aggresiveness, I have nothing bad to say about her (or the breed). So just be aware that a Malamute might try to get into fights with your other dogs! (Think about the animal aggresion level being a mix between a terrier, Akita, and Pittie!)

joce

I've heard that they aren't as aloof as huskys. Where huskies are supposed to think for themselves, the malamute relies more on its people. I was going to get one instead of a husky but tawny was too cute!

Whenever somebody would pull up into our driveway, Loupie would go out to the car and start 'arooing'. She was being very freindly, but for some strange reason, most people don't like a huge dog that looks like a wolf come up to there car and start 'arooing'. lol
A FedEX dude didn't even want to come out of his car! lol He actually called our house while he was sitting in our driveway, asking if she was freindly. lol You'd think that they'd be more scared of Blackie (huge black dog ;) ) than Loupie!
Loupie also had a really bad habit of licking everbody to death. We'd say if there was ever a burgler we wouldn't have to worry because she'd lick 'em to death. lol

(While the Bully breeds and other mastiff type breeds have captured my heart, the Malamutes still have a place there.)

Members online

No members online now.