Rewarding a dog for eating with more food?

yoko

I didn't want to hijack a thread that's been going on for a while but if you want to read it:

http://chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153791&page=8

It's at what is the end right now.

Any way long story short he is rewarding his dog for eating all of it's food by giving him more treats or withholding treats if the dog doesn't finish.

I'm not lucky enough to have a dog that will stop eating... ever. But I do hope to have a dog that's knows when to stop someday.

I know some people who have super picky dogs I don't know if this would work for them. But then on the other hand I know a TON of overweight dogs and this seems like you are forcing a bad habit on your dog by making him eat more than he wants so he can still get treats either then/throughout the day *I don't know if a dog can think far enough ahead for the throughout the day thing to matter to them*.

Do you think something like this would help a picky eater or just cause problems later? Thoughts/opinions?

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I have a picky eater, I just break up meals and make sure to feed after exercise and wait after eating for an hour to ensure the best use of all calories consumed.

I don't think I have thought about eating being a trick to reward for with anything but praise.

I have a picky eater, I just break up meals and make sure to feed after exercise and wait after eating for an hour to ensure the best use of all calories consumed.

I don't think I have thought about eating being a trick to reward for with anything but praise.
This^^^

I have a picky eater, if she doesn't want to eat, she wont, and I even found out the hard way, if you try to coax her enough to eat something she doesn't want, you'll be cleaning it up in a few minutes off the floor in a back room :rolleyes:. Yep, she's that bad. So what I've done, first I found, as said above, if she gets a good amount of exercise before breakfast, she'll usually eat it, and two I also split her meal unevenly and give her less for breakfast which usually makes her more hungry for dinner, but smaller meal throughout the day work better. And lastly, yeah I cave, I'm a "topper", she likes to lick the coconut oil off the top of her food right now, odd one she is, but since I mix Jin's food too with other additives it's no more a chore anyway, heck if I could they wouldn't be eating kibble at all.

Maisy is my picky eater. The only things that got her to start eating meals consistently was to start scootering (increasing her exercise exponentially) and switch her to raw. She's finally noticeably gained weight although she is still very lean.

Back in her kibble and walks days, I can't even imagine her wanting any more food (even in the form of treats) after finally finishing a meal. It was a struggle to get her to finish her portions as it was.

Usually I'll feed after exercise or a walk - Katalin is picky from time to time. She will usually wolf down her meal immediately but in the past few weeks - what with the heat (and her's). She's been abit finnicky but will and does completely finish her portions after exercise and sometimes I will stuff her puppy kong with some of her food too - she loves batting the pink rubber column around - amazed that it dispenses morsels of kibble LOL

Members online

No members online now.