blanket sucking??

bcmoffatt

totally normal
Cricket sucks on a blanket (his blankey) in the car. He also kneads it with his paws. He's a little compulsive about it, so I feel bad for him.

Why does he do this? Is the car ride overstimulating? He used to be obsessed with the motion of cars while we were driving, but he wasn't interested in them when he was out of the car, ie. he doesn't want to chase or herd them.

He rides in a wire crate. I covered it for a while because of his obsession with traffic, but now I don't have to because he's off the traffic and onto the blankey.

He starts the sucking immediately when I start the ignition. It's like he's waiting for it, and when he hears the starter, he whips around and grabs the blankey. Sometimes he makes noises like a racoon!! He only does it when the car is on, and/or moving. He'll relax and sleep in the car for long periods of time.

Is he likely to relax as he gets older? He's so calm and chilled out the rest of the time. He's a very laid back pooch. Even my vet commented on it, she expected him to be neurotic, given his breed.

He will relax and sleep on longer trips, but on the ride to and from work (15-20 mins), he does it.

Oh, and this blanket, STINKS!! It stinks up my whole car!! YUCK!
And the smell doesn't wash out of the blanket easily either... :rolleyes:

Any ideas?? TIA!!

youhavenoidea

I love my Weimaheiny!
It's nothing to worry about - lots of dogs do it. No telling why some do and some don't. My Staffie did it, my bf's Pittie doesn't, and Slade does.

As far as I've ever been informed, it's just something they do for comfort and to relax themselves, much like a human baby who twirls its hair or plays with its ear right before falling asleep.

That's when most dogs I know do it too. Right around bedtime.

It's not really a compuslive behavior that should cause concern. Same deal as when cats "bake bread" on your leg while purring away, when you pet them the right way. :)

Slade comes by it honestly; his Mom, Dad, "aunt and uncle", and all of his littermates all do it. He does it sometimes with a bunched up corner of blankie, sometimes with one of his stuffed "babies".

Hope that helps!

maple

Queen of the Jungle
Solution?? Give Cricket to me. :rofl1:
(sorry, couldn't resist :D )

maybe just take the blanket out?

bcmoffatt

totally normal
That makes me feel better! I have never had dogs before these guys, so I don't know these things! :D It is cute, but the way he whips around onto it is wacky. And the raccoon noises... LOL!!

It's nothing to worry about - lots of dogs do it. No telling why some do and some don't. My Staffie did it, my bf's Pittie doesn't, and Slade does.

As far as I've ever been informed, it's just something they do for comfort and to relax themselves, much like a human baby who twirls its hair or plays with its ear right before falling asleep.

That's when most dogs I know do it too. Right around bedtime.

It's not really a compuslive behavior that should cause concern. Same deal as when cats "bake bread" on your leg while purring away, when you pet them the right way. :)

Slade comes by it honestly; his Mom, Dad, "aunt and uncle", and all of his littermates all do it. He does it sometimes with a bunched up corner of blankie, sometimes with one of his stuffed "babies".

Hope that helps!

bcmoffatt

totally normal
Noooo!! He's my baaaabyyy!!!

I'm onto you.... :lol-sign: You're going to miss him this Friday, and Gator too!! :(

If the blanket isn't there, he'll try to suck on his pillow, or some soft toys that are in there, and if those aren't there, sometimes he'll bite the bars and make those crazy raccoon noises right beside my head while I'm driving! Super distracting!! I very much prefer the stinky blanket to that! LOL!

Solution?? Give Cricket to me. :rofl1:
(sorry, couldn't resist :D )

maybe just take the blanket out?

Saje

Island dweller
I don't know... :confused:

I can find out. What's considered early??
Well, definitely before 8 weeks. I've just read that some dogs who were weaned early will suck on a blankie or toy as a mother replacement. I can't remember where you got him. Sorry :(

Pups are weaned well before 8 weeks of age. Weaning is when they are taken off of mom's milk and start eating food on their own. ;)

Hannah wasn't weaned early, but she's a sucker. She has one toy in particular that we call her "sucky" that she'll occasionally get cozy with and suck til it's nasty wet. Well, I should say she HAD a toy. A certain evil black dog destroyed it.

I equate it with comfort. It was the toy we sent with Hannah when she bloated and had to stay at the vets. We wanted to send something with our/her scent on it so she would have something to comfort her. After that, it became her "security blanket" of sorts. I hate that Corvus destroyed it. :mad:

Then there are just some dogs that are very oral. I suppose it's linked back to puppyhood, but Hannah never sucked on anything until her bloat episode.

milos_mommy

Benji did it obsessively as a puppy, and whined the entire time he was doing. I assumed he was weaned early. He still does it occasionally, but not like he used to.

Milo occasionally does it to my clothes when he's tired.

bubbatd

Jan's Lab Rudy wasn't weaned early and kneaded and sucked soft toys etc when he was very tired .....until he fell asleep .

maple

Queen of the Jungle
Noooo!! He's my baaaabyyy!!!

I'm onto you.... :lol-sign: You're going to miss him this Friday, and Gator too!! :(
ahhhh Gator - there's another sweetiepie that I'd steal in a heartbeat!! :p

If the blanket isn't there, he'll try to suck on his pillow, or some soft toys that are in there, and if those aren't there, sometimes he'll bite the bars and make those crazy raccoon noises right beside my head while I'm driving! Super distracting!! I very much prefer the stinky blanket to that! LOL!
I know that sound, it comes out of Bosco as well.....and yes, verrrrry distracting :D

perla123

LOL and I thought I was the only one going thru this. RB does it all the time and he is 3 years old. He will take his toy balls and just suck on them and make weird noises:rolleyes: Is annoying some times b/c you are trying to have some quiet time and all you hear is the noises that he makes wile doing it, and not only that he drools all over the floor, so I have to clean it after he is done be fore some one goes, steps on it and lands on the floor. Believe me it hurts happened to me like 3 times already.:lol-sign:

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
Cleo has a fleecy bear we call "SuckyBear" for obvious reasons. She did it right from arriving home at 4 mos....thru today at 7mos. I suspect she'll always do it. It calms her...she does it before she falls asleep. She always looks for him when she comes in from outside...it's like she reconnects with him.

That bear is NASTY...even after a washing LOL. I bought her more fleecy things but just like a kid...SuckyBear is special and no other will do!

Members online

No members online now.