not too sure I'm crazy about the name Elwood anymore

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Elwood has been named Elwood since we brought him home saturday but I'm not too sure that I like that name for him. He isn't really responding to it and I was thinking about changing it to something a little easier but didn't know if that would be too confusing for him now that we've had him for about a week. I don't mind keeping it but it's so long and just not quite sure that it really suits him.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
I'm pretty sure changing his name wouldn't be a problem--look how many pets are adopted and given "new" names, or nicknames that we give them--they learn and respond to it! Do you have a different name in mind?

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I have a few but for some reason he looks like a Shadow to me. As popular as that name may be that's just what it seems like he should be.

Scooter

Change it to something you like! When we got Zoe she was 4 months old and had been named "Zahara". We didn't like it, and changed it. She caught on quickly to the name change with no problem!

Charliesmommy

I run with scissors
Aw, I like Elwood. And I thought he looked like an Elwood. Of course, I haven't met him, so if he doesn't have an Elwood personality, I can see why you'd want to change it. I sort of wish I had named Charlie something a bit more regal but I think it's far too late now for him.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Banzai was "Dane" before he came to us and he did just fine. :) He's also adapted to all of the nicknames we've given him. :p

Gilly

Changing his name should be of no problem at all.

Elwood was cute, but if its not a good reflection of his personality then its not meant to be.

Go with Shadow if that feels right and remember that there's a lot going on in his life right now (new home, new sounds, new smells, and a new pack) give him time to settle and have fun getting to know your new friend.

wookie130

I like Elwood too, but if you don't care for it, and if it isn't a good fit, then go ahead and change it! It won't cause nearly as much confusion as you may think.

bubbatd

As Ollie was a stray , I have no idea what he was called . The HS named him Ollie on Petfinder ....I kept it . He's my Ollie , full of folly , by golly !

Hey, I was going to say Woody, also! No, I'd say it's not a problem. I usually adopt dogs who are a year old and I change their names right away. Never has been a problem.

To make the transition quicker, set up training sessions to teach him his new name. Sit with him and call his new name. As soon as he gives you eye contact, give him a treat. Now you are teaching two things - his name and how to watch you. He should learn it pretty quickly.

Members online

No members online now.