Let's try this again

Not sure why my original post didn't go through, but here we go again. I'm from Iowa and share my life with a 13 year old yorkie/pom, Knarly and little over a year old chow/husky, Rolyx. I'll be getting a chow chow down the road here, which I'm hoping to use as a service dog.

And of course, pictures.

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
Welcome :)

Cute dogs...

There are quite a few Iowa folk around here on Chaz.

I used to live in the Des Moines area before moving to WI.

Thanks...Knarly is my old soul, most think he's young because he is so spirited and runs/plays like a 2 year old. Rolyx is my shelter baby, and in his own right has come with some behavior problems that I hope to work out over time...other than that, he has the ability to keep a smile on your face with his antics. :)

It was a Iowa trainer that recommended me to this site, after telling her my desire to TRY and make my next dog a service dog...which I realize the breed may make some raise an eyebrow, but I say it's worth a try and socialization is half the battle there.

Thanks for the welcome, I'll apologize ahead of time as sometimes I have fat fingers [big mouth]. :)

Take Care!

Oh forgot to say, Jess...I love your ferrets. I use to run a shelter/ferretry many years ago before my life was turned upside down. You have some super cuties there, loved seeing them. :)

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
We have a member with a couple of beautiful chows on the board :)

Maybe she will chime in...

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Oh forgot to say, Jess...I love your ferrets. I use to run a shelter/ferretry many years ago before my life was turned upside down. You have some super cuties there, loved seeing them. :)
thanks! :) they are definitely the babies around my house. I am on the board of directors for the local ferret rescue, so i somehow manage to get talked into the trouble ones ;)

thanks! :) they are definitely the babies around my house. I am on the board of directors for the local ferret rescue, so i somehow manage to get talked into the trouble ones ;)
Aw most are just misunderstood or got a owner that should of never got a ferret in the first place. The BEST, and absolute love of my life was a ferret brought into a shelter I was volunteering at [was about 5 years before I started my own shelter specifically for ferrets]. They said he bit and cost too much to feed...rolls eyes. He never bit me once....licked my face like a dog and slept with me every night. ;)

Do yours play with your dog? lol

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Aw most are just misunderstood or got a owner that should of never got a ferret in the first place. The BEST, and absolute love of my life was a ferret brought into a shelter I was volunteering at [was about 5 years before I started my own shelter specifically for ferrets]. They said he bit and cost too much to feed...rolls eyes. He never bit me once....licked my face like a dog and slept with me every night. ;)

Do yours play with your dog? lol
The dog is nearly 16, so she usually opts to just lay on the couch and watch them play -- though they always try to play!

Yah, Renegade is aggressive to other ferrets in his house, especially males. He can be iffy with males in other people's houses, too. He can be human aggressive, as well, to adults. He has severe allergies, including an allergy to meat, and has no immune system to speak of, so really, I can kind of understand his grumpiness ;)

I think my favourite foster to date was Wedgey, a 5 year 1/2 year old female that lived her life in a dark basement alone with no human interaction other than somebody putting food in her bowl. Sadly, being in the same room as my guys stressed her out and I passed her onto her awesome forever home a week later :)

The dog is nearly 16, so she usually opts to just lay on the couch and watch them play -- though they always try to play!

Yah, Renegade is aggressive to other ferrets in his house, especially males. He can be iffy with males in other people's houses, too. He can be human aggressive, as well, to adults. He has severe allergies, including an allergy to meat, and has no immune system to speak of, so really, I can kind of understand his grumpiness ;)

I think my favourite foster to date was Wedgey, a 5 year 1/2 year old female that lived her life in a dark basement alone with no human interaction other than somebody putting food in her bowl. Sadly, being in the same room as my guys stressed her out and I passed her onto her awesome forever home a week later :)
My dogs didn't care much for the ferrets...but they really could be quite naughty with them, as sometimes the ferrets liked to nip feet and I believe I even had one that decided he'd make a great doggy nose ring. I was eventually able to dedicate a room just to the fuzzbutts and I think both were happier for it. lol

Poor Renegade, sounds like he has it rough...like any animal, or heck even people...health problems can make them more grumpy and change behaviors. He's lucky to have you, as most probably wouldn't hesitate to get rid of him.

That's really sad with Wedgey. Glad she got out of that situation. I had a ferret like that I got in as well...she would literally scream if another ferret even got close to her. She wasn't abused in her case, but just had never seen another ferret before...tried everything, but she was one of the extremely rare ones I had that absolutely would not accept a companion.

Members online

No members online now.