Whippet on kitchen counter

judyg

Scout is my fourteen-month-old neutered Whippet mix that I've had for six months. He's a love, but there's one behavior problem I can't fix. He's a "percher" and likes to climb and be on top of furniture, etc. I don't mind his being on sofas, chairs, etc., but I want to keep him off the kitchen counter. He knows he should not be there -- only jumps up when I'm not around and gets down when he hears me coming. I've tried to remove whatever might interest him, but I think he's so curious that he has to "check out" the situation on the counter frequently. My backyard is terraced, so he has lots of other climbing opportunities. Any suggestions out there? I'm getting tired of putting interesting objects in my microwave where he can't access them. Thanks!

I was looking though the Dr. Smith and Foster magazine; they have something to keep dog’s off the counter, table, whatever. I think it sends out a pulse are something. Check it out on there website it might help! Good Luck!

MEG126

ok i'm just making sure but i'm hoping you mean that your dog is just putting his front paws on the counter, because aren't whippets canna.. big? :confused: anyways i'm sure that's what it is. :) my collie always did that, and my golden used to, but then our neighbor gave us a real good training tip that worked really well!! she said that we should keep like a pot or something on the counter, and whenever we see the dog jump up, clash 2 pans together so it makes a really loud sound, and so the sound is supposed to kind of... rid them of their curiousity... i don't know how well that would work since your dog only does it when you're out of the room and gets down when you're coming- but that's how we handled the situation! good luck! :)

judyg

sheltipups: Thanks for the suggestion! I'll check out Dr. Smith and Foster Magazine. MEG126: I wish he were only putting his front paws on the counter! He jumps up and walks on the counter, leaves muddy footprints in the sink, grabs tomatoes, bananas, or whatever else seems interesting! Has anyone used bitter apple? I've been told this works as a deterrent, but I don't know if it is safe in a food preparation area.

I've used little mousetraps to great effect. You just have to make sure they're small enough not to actually break a foot if the dog gets one caught. Typically, they nose the trap, it snaps and makes a nasty noise and jumps a bit and cures them of that insatiable curiousity.

My big blue cat I had for years, Gonzo, got on the kitchen counters when he first moved in with me. I tried everything and nothing worked. I was in despair one day when he jumped up to see what I was cooking, and picked him up and had a discussion with him about how I didn't walk on the counters and I didn't expect him to, either.

He never jumped on the counters again. Or the tables.

MEG126

renee, if i didn't believe you the first time i heard about your little chats with your animals (and i do believe you!), i'd certainly believe you now! lol those little heart to heart conversations seem to work wonders! :)

judyg

Thanks for the suggestion, Renee. I have tried the "chat" technique but will give it another go. The mousetrap suggestion sounds promising too. I'll have to look for some small ones. Wish me luck.

Members online