Help in CT

chijack

I recently got a Chihuahua who is decently conformed. She's still young, but my eventual plan is to get ber CGC test put on her and use her as a therapy dog. My real ? surrounds my other dog... a year old Chihuahua male, who is SO well built that my vet has suggested taking him in the show ring. he has had no formal show ring training, and knows the basics of stay, back, walk, heel ect... but we havent 'seriously' trained him. . . not for anyhting like the ring. I contacted his breeder but she really doesnt show anymore ( they are older) and she refered me to a kennel in the area that I just dont like. he is intact mostly because we are so hesitant to neuter due to the vets suggestion of showing him. He is registered and I'd like to see what we could do. I also would like to try agility.... can anyone guide a clueless person in CT in the right direction. Ive had horses for years and my one friend who does show her Jack's has said that it can get just as expensive as horseshows...

IliamnasQuest

Loves off-leash training!
If your vet is knowledgeable about chihuahua conformation to say your dog is good enough for the show ring, the vet should know someone in the area who can help you with training. There are probably handling classes available. Same with agility - your vet should know what's in the area.

Good luck -

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

adojrts

Check club listings in USDAA or NADAC, CPE etc for local clubs that teach agility.
As for agility being as expensive as showing horses.............no way. Entry fees can be comparable, motels the same, but no need for trailers or shipping etc. Just open the door and let the dogs pile into their crates in your vehicle, lol no bandaging, no braiding and cleaning tack? sure you can clean your collar and leash lol.
I also believe that training and lessons are much cheaper on an average for agility than for most disciplines of riding.
I had and showed horses for most of my life and I find it much easier and cheaper to do agility. Although I firmly believe agility is much harder than most riding disciplines lol. But it is so much fun and addicting, plus the bonus is the attitude that most people bring to agility. Negative comments and snotty remarks are generally viewed as very bad form and not tolerated (at least that is the way it is here in Ontario).

Good luck
Lynn

Members online

No members online now.