New behaviour with Riot..

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Well it isn't surprising or anything but.. recently Riot has gotten into this thing where whenever I startle him he'll snap.

Lately I have been trying to desensatize him to this and it seems to be working..

here is a scenario from today..

He was scratching himself not paying attention to me so I reached out and tapped him slightly as if a "boo" sort of tap, he flipped up from his position and snapped at what ever was closest.. this time it was my hand.
Now.. I dont want him doing this no matter what hes doing - distracted or not - its not an excuse to use his teeth.
I grabbed his mouth and firmly said NO and to get out of the room to his bed(which is by my front door in the next room to me, so he can't see me).
He knew he did something bad and feels really horrible for it, he keeps crawling into the rooms doorframe that I'm in and just looking at me with sad eyes. I keep telling him to get to his bed though in a firm voice(NOT yelling, Belgians do NOT do well with yelling lol)

Any other suggestions other then desensatizing him?? I dont want him to be doing the same thing and have a child startle him and him snap at them..

usurp

Belgian Shepherd Tervuere
maybe let him snap at you again? i mean dogs learn from repetitiveness so maybe if you keep repeating the situation and when he snaps at u u show him u r angry at him and then repeat the situation again and again until he learns not to snap back.

i am no training expert just brainstorming out lound :)

btw when did u start training your dog? I have been very slow in training my dog, he knows how to sit, he understands come here but comes only when he wants to come. He knows get off and leave it. What other commands are important to teach the dog?

Doberluv

If you use punishment or aggression on your dog when he does that, you'll make him much, much worse. He'll become more defensive and nervous whenever you're around. If you think you've got problems now, if you scold him, you'll really have problems later. You never treat a dog in a fearful state with punishment. You're adding fear on top of fear and your dog can really get messed up.

Keep desensatizing him. When he's paying just a little attention to you, when he IS aware of you being there, reach out and pat him, just one little pat. When he's scratching and not paying any attention to you, speak to him first...let him know you're there and then pat him. Touch him at random times, without making a big deal out of it....just a quick pat, but when he knows you're there. Get him use to quick touches at random times and random contexts. Touch him on an ear, on top of his head, run your hand around his tail....that sort of thing.

This is not something that I know has been used. It's something I'm making up. So, you can do more research too.

You say there is no excuse for his reactiveness. Well, I can think of one excuse. Instinct. He's an animal and he has instincts to defend himself. If he has not been conditioned to this kind of thing from a very young puppy, you may never get him 100% use to it. It could be in his genetic temperament. I don't have that with my Doberman at all. He can be sound asleep and no matter what I do, he is not startled. So, I don't know. Some have a stronger instinct like that and some don't probably.

I'd just keep working with him in a gradual way, rewarding him for calmness (with a treat and praise) and otherewise, warn people not to startle him.

Horses are like that. You have to let them know you're coming or that you're behind them. If you sneak up on them, they startle and may kick out in defence. Of course, they're prey animals. But dogs, althought predators still have their enemies and things to watch out for. So, be careful to let your dog know you're there. And let others know too.

Even you would startle if someone snuck up behind you when you didn't think anyone was around. You might even be ready to take a swing in some instances. It's instinct and especially for a dog.

SummerRiot said:
Well it isn't surprising or anything but.. recently Riot has gotten into this thing where whenever I startle him he'll snap.

Lately I have been trying to desensatize him to this and it seems to be working..

Desensitization, as the name suggests, never involves punishment, always reward. Like Doberluv said, set up senarios where you talk-tap-reward, over and over again, until you can eliminate the warning (talk) his startle response will become "where's my treat". Riot, although he may have seemed remorseful, was likely reacting more to your anger (I'm not saying you were mean to him), than his guilt. If you want him not to react with a snap, turn the startle into a game....gradually;)

My friend has 7 belgains (between her and her daughter)...such beautiful dogs:) Riot is very handsome

usurp

Belgian Shepherd Tervuere
yeah i think Doberluv's idea of touching (patting) the dog is a good one. I am using that technique when my dog is eating or chewing a bone. My old dog used to be very protective of his food so i am teaching my current dog that he shouldn't be worried about me. its working fine.

Members online