Dog Clippers = Human Clippers?

TuffTuck

A few years ago my dad bought me a Conair hair clipper kit. But I have had lots of trouble actually cutting my Maltese's super-fine-almost-cotton-fiber-like hair. Does any one know if dog hair clippers would actually cut his hair? Or is it his hair type?

Since he is a long haired breed, I like to keep it short (like a puppy cut). But his hair ends up not looking uniform because I end up cutting it by hand. I do know that they work on human hair, so they aren't broken. And advice?

babymomma

Remembering Casey ♥
Im not sure if this is what you mean, But My yorkies coat is very very fine and soft. I comb against the grain of the fur so it sticks up and then uses the clippers on it and go with the grain. It seems to work better for her fur.

the clippers are fine, its the blade that with affect how well the hair is cut... what blade # are you using? and what clipper brand are you using?

TuffTuck

I'm sure what blade number it is. Here is a link to amazon which sells a set like mine: Amazon.com: Conair HC500 Total Grooming Kit, 27 Piece: Health & Personal Care

It comes with different sized interchangeable plastic combs which don't seem to do anything different. When I have used it, it would ever so slighty cut a bit of hair than just comb through and do nothing.

Any suggestions as to what size blade I will need to get?
Again, his hair is incredibly fine. Thinner than thread. He is very cotton ball like. Thanks!

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
How much have you used it on the dog/ people? I found my first set made for dogs.. low quality and cheap the blades dulled pretty quick and I was inexperienced and didn't realize it. Cider's underbelly is cottony, and with dull clippers nothing happens. Freshly sharpened blades and it comes off like a knife in hot butter.

Grab

You might also try clipping against the direction of hair growth when you're using the snap on plastic combs.

Members online

No members online now.