rawhide - other treats

Lucid

Hi,

A quick question on how much rawhide to give your dogs?

Blake is nearly 9months old and he gets two rawhide treats a day, usually one little shoe with a few biscuit treats stuffed inside and then something like a rawhide thats wrapped around something or something wrapped around the rawhide, like bacon flavoured filling or beef.

He has a calcium bone and a few larger rawhide that he will chew on from time to time if he wants to and thats about it.

Im worried he is getting to much, he still eats his meals and drinks loads as usual..

So is this to much or ok? I give him them to keep him calm during meal times as he is a begger and likes to try get to what we are eating so he gets his lunch and a treat so he is distracted.

Also at his age, how many meals should he be getting a day?

Thankx xx

I try to give my dog more All natural dog treats as apposed to rawhide b/c it is easier on their stomachs.

Last edited by a moderator:

noludoru

Bored Now.
Honestly, I think it's way too much. Rawhide is hard to digest and can cause blockages if it isn't chewed properly. It's also treated with chemicals, so you should contact the manufacturer to find out where the rawhide comes from and what chemicals it is treated with before feeding.

Back when I fed it, it would make Middie stink for a week or so after he had it. I don't feed it anymore because it obviously doesn't agree with him and because of the dubious quality of most products on the market.

Suzzie

Aging Canine Advocate
i certainly don't give rawhide twice a day. Maybe once a week, or twice if it's a little strip. Usually more like a few times a month. You can always give him a femur bone instead.

My dogs eat twice a day... however, there are certain deep chested breeds that, if I owned them, I'd feed 'em three times a day.

Lucid

Thank you for your help guys.

I bought a small kong the other day so hopefully I can bring that in instead.

Blake is a collie/kelpie cross who is still really bouncy and full of life as Im sure youl understand for a nearly 9 months old puppy..

So any ideas on what to stuff my kong with, he seemed to LOVE it this afternoon and kept playing with it even after everything was out of it lol

bubbatd

I stay away from them completely !!! Soak a piece in warm water for a couple of days !

noludoru

Bored Now.
You can stuff it with dry kibble, kibble with yogurt, water, gravy, PB.. etc. You can stuff it with liquids or kibble with a liquid and freeze it to make it extra hard to get stuff out... whatever you like, whatever is laying around. Middie's last kong had two kibbles blocking the end and bits of slightly stale brie (he goes crazy for brie, I found out) in the bottom and layers of yogurt and kibble, with a treat blocking the hole. I froze it and it took him about and hour to get everything out.

cloudcandy

Cloudcandy
Oh noooo,Is hide not good?My breeder gave me to hie toys to take home a shoe and a ring and Coco <3's them!it really works to keep her calm and focus on chewing!?!
:'(
what chew toys are more suitable for puppies?I have a kong like thing,that she is not that intrested in and a rubber dummy type thing too....

Danefied

I never, ever, feed rawhide - bad stuff IMO. We give raw bones and antlers for recreational chewing. Your pup should be getting proper nutrition from his regular meals.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Oh noooo,Is hide not good?My breeder gave me to hie toys to take home a shoe and a ring and Coco <3's them!it really works to keep her calm and focus on chewing!?!
:'(
what chew toys are more suitable for puppies?I have a kong like thing,that she is not that intrested in and a rubber dummy type thing too....
Kongs, to many dogs, are sort of boring by themselves. Fill it with her kibble, put some peanut butter, plain yogurt or canned food on top of it all and freeze it - a great treat that will keep her busy while having one of her meals.

Members online

No members online now.