Least favortie dog breed trait..

GoingNowhere

Submissive
Friendly to others - my dog is my dog; not your dog
Needy/wanting to be touched all the time - I like a dog that comes to me; touches me and once acknowledged is good for awhile
welcoming strangers on the property without my permission
liking other dogs a lot -- I don't mind my dog to have friends; but it annoys the crap out of me that my dog would die to see and play with another dog
I found myself forgetting the topic when I read this post, because these are many of the traits that I like to a certain degree! :rofl1: Isn't it amazing how everyone can find a dog that fits them, even when their wants are completely different!?

I'd have to say human aggression/reactiveness. Any dog that doesn't happily let a new person into the house when you give an okay. Boo barks incessantly at one particular individual when he comes over (she's afraid of his guitar case), and it drives me insane. Otherwise, she's perfect.

Also extreme dog reactiveness/aggression. I can handle a dog that gets upset if an overly pushy dog gets in their face, but I wouldn't be able to handle having a dog flipping in circles at the end of its leash at another dog.

and yapping. A dog can have a voice... but there is a time and a place to bark. Not at the wind/leaves/birds/squirrels/people/everything it wants or sees.

and, in the case of different breeds, I wouldn't want a breed that is so weirdly shaped that it can't breathe or move correctly.

Toller_08

Overly exuberant, in your face, love anyone and anything type dogs. I like them a little reserved. And after dealing with Dog Reactivity, I hope never to have another like that again... nor DA, as I don't enjoy having just one dog. Overly submissive dogs are not for me either, nor are very "soft" dogs.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Overly exuberant, in your face, love anyone and anything type dogs. I like them a little reserved. And after dealing with Dog Reactivity, I hope never to have another like that again... nor DA, as I don't enjoy having just one dog. Overly submissive dogs are not for me either, nor are very "soft" dogs.
I completely agree. I couldn't imagine owning a breed that loved everyone.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I completely agree. I couldn't imagine owning a breed that loved everyone.
I've had both and it's a trait I could take either way. There are nice things about more reserved dogs, and then nice things about people lovers too.

Some of what I love about the herders is their tendency to not love everyone. My shelties and GSDx were not going to go off with just anyone. I loved that. Our bond was something they didn't just give away, you have to work up to it.

On the other hand, the paps are total opposite in that they love love love everyone. No one is a stranger. It's amazing to see how fast Summer gets comfortable with people and how much everyone that meets her seems to think she's unusually taken to them. She's just like that to everyone . She's actually really helped out several people who were going through hard times that way.

I do get jealous sometimes, though. :p

So yeah, either way works for me, depending on the rest of the dog's temperament. I enjoy both and think they balance each other out quite nicely.

I have to say that having Dahlia here with me has reinforced the feeling that there is absolutely NOTHING I would change about the Fila breed :) Perfect breed for me in all ways.

She's a very different personality from Kharma, but the cornerstones, the foundations of what makes a Fila a Fila are there.

Amstaffer

aloofness or catlike relationship with owner. Aloofness is fine with strangers but not with me. I have never had an aloof dog luckily. I want a dog that actively enjoys my company as much a I enjoy theirs.

I have a question: what's a Fila?

I put slobber dogs at top of my list,then yappers. I'm not so sure I would ever get another cocker either,the "excitement" piddling will limit places I will take her.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
I put slobber dogs at top of my list,then yappers. I'm not so sure I would ever get another cocker either,the "excitement" piddling will limit places I will take her.
It shouldn't be a breed trait. Over all it is not a breed trait. Many poorly bred cockers give the rest of the breed a bad image. A good number of badly bred small dogs tend to pee on themselves. It's not a breed trait. It's a badly bred trait.

Cider did submissive pee as a young dog. She is badly bred, but got over it. Smudge is well bred and has never had a problem.

I find it insulting to the breed and help breeds people's prejudice towards a breed that is apparently known for eating children, being nippy, and now peeign on itself by people posting such things. Especially people who have owned the breed.

I dont do untrained rude dogs. Like dogs that ignore there owners when you know they are listening and understanding what you are saying!
Especially ignoring re-call!
But I do love all dog breeds for their own reasons:)

Dekka

Just try me..
I dont do untrained rude dogs. Like dogs that ignore there owners when you know they are listening and understanding what you are saying!
Especially ignoring re-call!
But I do love all dog breeds for their own reasons:)
LOL :D thats an easy fix though. Thats lack of training not a breed trait. Some breeds take more training than others for things like recalls (JRTs for example :D)

Thanks Amstaffer,I thought they were originally from Brazil,just hadn't seen the word Fila before.

MafiaPrincess,your cocker's are soooo beautiful! My apology for my statement (knew I should have left that out-any dog could have issues with excitement pee).

I'm VERY new to owning a cocker. She's small & I suspect was a puppy mill dog. Was dumped @ a shelter & I had to do very quick research on the breed before being first in line to adopt her. She's finally showing her sweet side,meaning she gives me face kisses now rather than try to bite my face off. I've had her almost 3 mos. She makes me laugh every single day with her antic's. I think it takes awhile for any dog to adjust to the concept of a safe home,love from humans,regular schedule,etc.

LOL :D thats an easy fix though. Thats lack of training not a breed trait. Some breeds take more training than others for things like recalls (JRTs for example :D)
Yeah, but as you say, some breeds like the JRT need more training to learn, thats a trait I dont like, I spose slow learners is what im saying:)
I'll call Roly and he'll look at me, then keep doing what he wants and wont come till his finished.
That annoys me because If I have food, his re-call is perfect, but If i need him back to go on the lead, then all of a sudden, I cant hear you!:rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.