Lactose Intolerant?

Muttkip

LABRADERP!
I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing what I just found out about myself.

I wouldn't call it lactose intolerant, but I have noticed every time I drink milk or eat it with say cereal I puke it right back up. EVERY SINGLE TIME! But I can eat other dairy products no problem?

Anyone heard of this before, I used to not have this problem up until about say 6-7 months ago?

I've had to switch to Almond milk and I've stopped puking and the taste is growing on me.

But anyone else heard of this before?

thehoundgirl

This has happened to me but I didn't throw back up the milk or the milk with cereal. I just got bad stomach cramps. You might just be sensitive to milk or milk with cereal.

Almond milk is amazing.. especially the vanilla flavor. I didn't like it at first but the vanilla flavor I get from Safeway is great. I also can eat other dairy products fine. :/ So I am not sure if it's just a milk sensitivity because I can eat cheese, ice cream, etc fine and don't get cramps.

Assamiea

I don't throw up, but most times when I have milk (straight milk, not other dairy products) I'm always running to the bathroom more often. I've always drank a lot of milk and never really has this problem until about 2 years ago. I can drink milk mixed into things like tea or milkshakes and have tons of yogurt with no problems, but milk on its own seems to set me off.

I love almond milk, especially Almond Fresh. Their Vanilla and Coconut flavours are awesome!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I have become lactose intolerant over the years. I think it's fairly common to have it occur at adulthood. As a kid I drank milk every day but now I can't anymore.

I can eat cheese and also yogurt in small amounts- also pretty common. Anything milk or creamer or ice cream and its bad. I don't have vomiting but my stomach churns loudly and it completely cleans me out (to put it nicely). About thirty minutes after eating I have to run to the bathroom. Coffee with creamer is one of the worst for me.

No ice cream does suck but I find that it just sounds bad nowadays and makes me nauseas to even think about because I've been sick after eating it so often.

Assamiea

have any of you ever tried raw milk? i wonder if its something companies are doing TO the milk, rather than the milk itself
No, I haven't tried raw milk and won't be able to unless I go somewhere where it is not illegal to sell raw milk or make friends with someone who has a dairy herd. I live in Canada and here in Ontario it is illegal for farmers to sell raw milk to the general public; however, farmers are allowed to use the raw milk that they produce for themselves and their families. The only "person" in Ontario that can buy raw milk is the Dairy Board and farmers in Ontario can be prosecuted for selling raw milk.

Zhucca

Lab Love
have any of you ever tried raw milk? i wonder if its something companies are doing TO the milk, rather than the milk itself

Lactose intolerance is caused by lacking the enzyme lactase to break the milk down. So raw milk would still be an irritant and would have the same reactions.

Lactose intolerance is really common. However if it bothers you OP, you could get supplements of the lactase enzyme. Eat it before you eat the dairy product and see how you fair. Just an idea. Or avoid it. lol Maybe the reason you only experience it with milk is that you just have a limited number of the enzymes? Milk is usually drank in fairly substantial quantities in comparison to others. I mean, when you eat cheese you might only have a slice or two. Milk is drank in 250-500ml at a time.

No ice cream does suck but I find that it just sounds bad nowadays and makes me nauseas to even think about because I've been sick after eating it so often.
There are quite a few non-dairy ice cream options out there if you are interested.... they may be hard to spot, but most grocery stores carry at least one brand. The Almond Dream and Coconut Bliss brands are my favorites... they have soy, and rice based ice creams as well that are very decent.

Dagwall

I'm lactose intolerant, diagnosed as a young child so I just grew up drinking Lactaid milk or taking Lactaid pills. I don't do that anymore though, I'm not sure it's I've become less sensitive or just learned my limits with age and self regulate my diet. My only real concessions are not drinking straight milk or whipped cream and not over doing it with ice cream.

My only real symptom was cramping and on rare occasions I'll get a slight stomach ache probably from too much milk. I can cook with regular milk, eat cheese, ice cream, etc with no real issue.

SoCrafty

Watch out for the Lactaid pills! I have taken them for about 6 months. Usually if I am going to eat like more than one serving of dairy (like maybe my dinner has cheese and then the bf and I go to DQ for dessert) I take one. However, earlier this month I made dinner for the two of us and it had quite a bit of dairy. I took a Lactaid and after dinner I was incredibly sick. I didn't attribute it to the Lactaid. That Saturday (the day after my birthday), I took one because my folks took us oit for pizza and then I knew we were going to have an ice cream cake. Took a Lactaid and violently ill. I've never been.that sick before. The stomach pain was absolutely awful.

I google'd and apparently I'm not the only one that has had that reaction. It seems that the reaction comes after taking it over the span of several months.

I would rather have the uncomfortable feeling I get after eating dairy, or just take my prescription for my IBS than take that.

Members online

No members online now.