Beef Heart!

StillandSilent

Beef heart was on sale, so I bought some for Argon. Do I count it as an organ meat,a muscle meat, or neither?
Also, he is shedding a LOT at the moment (I think he got the bassett shed gene!) He is currently getting fish about once a week and his coat is really shiney and soft. Would it help to give him fish twice a week, or does it really matter.

It might help to give him fish twice a week. If one of my dogs gets a dry or flaky coat, I just give them a couple fish oil capsules a few times a week. Make sure you get the fish body oil though, and not one with soy and everything else in it.

Hope this helps,
Ezriyah
Regards Bullmastiffs
Welcome to Regards Bullmastiffs!

Bailey08

Fish oil is great (by the way, I've read that the capsules are better than the bottles, because the oil is kept fresh. Bailey, like many dogs, will just eat the supps plain). You could also try coconut oil, which helps with dogs' coats, too, and is otherwise good for them.

StillandSilent

So it would be better to just give him a supplement of fish oil than to add another fish meal into his rotation? He loves salmon and mackeral, or is there something even better?
PS- He really liked the beef heart. Of course, he did try to sneak a piece out of the kitchen and into his Papasan chair to enjoy, but luckily I caugh him before he made it. Naughty boy, he knows raw stays in the kitchen!

Brattina88

So it would be better to just give him a supplement of fish oil than to add another fish meal into his rotation? He loves salmon and mackeral, or is there something even better?
I was wondering this too. I just added another fish meal to Maddie's rotation when she was 'dandruff-y' and that seemed to do the trick, but I was still wondering if I should suppliement.

MH<3dogs

I heard some where that adding fish to the diet is better than supplements but I haven't fed raw in quite a few years when Midnite developed food allergies. :(

When I was feeding her raw she didn't like fish so I had to supplement anyway.

AnitaF

Where did you find beef hearts? I haven't been able to find them yet but am still looking. Did you have to ask the meat guy for them?

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I went to publix and found beef heart for only a dollar :)

I give it to kenya as a tasty treat (i chop it up) and add it to her chicken quarter

AnitaF

I went to publix and found beef heart for only a dollar :)

I give it to kenya as a tasty treat (i chop it up) and add it to her chicken quarter
Thank you.

I don't know what "publix" is so it's apparently not in my area. I guess I'll just have to keep looking.

Was the beef heart out in the meat thing or did you have to ask the meat guy for it?

Charlotte loves hearts!!! Right now she's working through a 60 lb case of pork hearts, so hasn't had a beef one for a while, but yummy!! Heart is definitely a fave!

I don't supplement with fish oil, but I do feed oily fish, so don't need to!

Members online

No members online now.