Rescue Groups

Rescue Groups Problems?

Has anybody had a problem with rescue groups? I see a new trend. I was volunteering with a couple different breed related rescue groups. I noticed that the price for these dogs are a little high. They also put them through an application process that I think is a little much. So a lot of these dogs are really not getting adopted. I feel they probably would have been better off at the Humane Society getting adopted faster. Maybe as a last resort going to the Rescue group. In one case I saw with puppies, the Rescue group would not adopt out the puppies until they were altered which was 6 months. The puppies were 6 weeks old when they got them and the Humane Society was had a bunch of people adopting the litter. They were in the Humane Society less than 2 days.

Last edited:

rottnpagan

Rottweiler Queen
rowdy ridgeback said:
Has anybody had a problem with rescue groups? I see a new trend. I was volunteering with a couple different breed related rescue groups. I noticed that the price for these dogs are a little high. They also put them through an application process that I think is a little much. So a lot of these dogs are really not getting adopted. I feel they probably would have been better off at the Humane Society getting adopted faster. Maybe as a last resort going to the Rescue group. In one case I saw with puppies, the Rescue group would not adopt out the puppies until they were altered which was 6 months. The puppies were 6 weeks old when they got them and the Humane Society was had a bunch of people adopting the litter. They were in the Humane Society less than 2 days.
In your opinion, how high is too high? Personally, I do the provincial rott rescue, and I've a 5 page application. If it's too hard for someone, or too much work, then they're not ready to adopt a rottweiler from me. These dogs are alot of work too.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I agree about some of these rescues being a little overzealous. I've been turned down by rescues because:

-I could not guarantee that the dog would never be left alone longer than 4 hours.

-I had no backyard.

-I could not give a local vet reference. Sheesh, I had only lived in that city for a year and this was my first dog. Of course I didn't have a local vet yet!

-I was a college student. And "college students do not make responsible pet owners."

I've heard stories from people who were turned down because they didn't want to use clicker training. Or because they had rehomed a pet before. It can get silly.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
I do agree some of them are ridiculous, but I believe that most of them do that cause they want the best forever homes for the dogs.. but I do agree that they do go somewhat overboard, and they could be potentally turning down a perfect home because of some of the restrictions.

I think $300 is a little much. To me, if I were going to do this, to spend $300 and go through the application process, I would rather just get a puppy from a breeder. Yes, you are not rescuing a puppy but I think it is a little much to ask for 3 referrals and home checks etc. The home check I could see but come on, I think the rest is a little much. I think it discourages people. You have to have a little bit of faith in people. There are bad people out there but you have to give people the benefit of the doubt. Maybe some follow up visits.

Selkhet

Den Mother
I agree with what most of what has already been said. Except the money, I'll pay $300 for a purebred rescue because it's still cheaper than breeder prices around here. (Apollo was $800 and he's non-show quality)

I was heartbroken to be turned down for a greyhound rescue dog - not because I didn't have a huge fenced-in yard (which I did at the time) but because I didn't own my home. To make it worse, I've since met several people who adopted greyhounds and they live in apartment complexes, not even a house like I was living in. :(

That is weird. Well some of these dogs were mixed with Rhodesian Ridgeback. I can kind of see a full blood Rhodesian. I paid $650 and $450 both show quality females from a breeders so a lot of breeds that are harder to find like Irish Wolfhound and others, I could see a higher price tag. But generally I think if the home is loving and they are going to spend time exercising and training the dog, who cares if they own their own home. I rescue that I volunteer for, was more of a shelter situation. The dogs really werent getting any kind of one on one socialization with people.

zoe08

Anything more than the boarding costs (feed/water/shots) and the cost of spaying (which can be done at 3~6 months) is too much for a rescue dog.

~makenzie

taratippy

So rescues are supposed to operate on the lowest donation for just food, shots speying etc? What about the dogs that come in and need more medical care than speying?

The rescue I help out has just spent out over £500 for a dog that required lots of medical attention, how are they supposed to cover that? Or do you think they should charge more for him, in that way he and those like him would never get rehomed. Surely its better to charge a realistic price which means they can help all dogs not just the ones that come in and require the minimal care.

Rescues also have overheads regardless of whether they foster or board in kennels. They also take time to assess the dogs and give any training needed.

To say that you should only pay for food, vacs and spey is very unrealistic.

shepluvr

taratippy said:
So rescues are supposed to operate on the lowest donation for just food, shots speying etc? What about the dogs that come in and need more medical care than speying?

The rescue I help out has just spent out over £500 for a dog that required lots of medical attention, how are they supposed to cover that? Or do you think they should charge more for him, in that way he and those like him would never get rehomed. Surely its better to charge a realistic price which means they can help all dogs not just the ones that come in and require the minimal care.

Rescues also have overheads regardless of whether they foster or board in kennels. They also take time to assess the dogs and give any training needed.

To say that you should only pay for food, vacs and spey is very unrealistic.
So true! how about the water bill, the light bill, sometimes rent, the cost of medications and treatment on sick or injured? Price for repairs? How about the salary for the employees who work there? The Shelter I work with charges about $100 dollars for adoption. This does not even barely touch what is put into the animals. They get all the shots they need up to the time of adoption, dewormed, microchipped, hw tested, placed on hw prevention and flea control, spayed or neutered. Now you tell me where you can have all that done for that price? Most rescues/shelters never recover what they put in to their animals. They do have to be able to survive just like any other buisness. THe electric company sure won't take the "but we're helping animals" excuse!

Fran27

Rescues pay for vet bills, food, crates, toys, gas for transportation etc. I'm sure their fees depend on how much outside help they get too. Although I agree that anything over $250 seems too much, sometimes they don't have much of a choice.

For shelters, I think the difference is that they usually don't have that many employees, they get more financial help in general, and lots of them don't have vets coming except for spaying/neutering.

Giny

The rescue I volunteer for has a different criteria for each dog being placed. Some dogs do well in a home with no fence as long as the owner is willing to walk the dog a few times a day and others need a fence. But again if the owner fits to that specific dog to a T but the only thing missing is not having a fence the rescue is usually able to work with the new owner. The dog I'm fostering now has been in my care for 4 months. She has specific criteria’s that needs to be met before she gets adopted out. She has to have someone staying at home at all times due to specific reasons. But that doesn't mean another dog that we have in rescue would need someone home with him all day. Like I said, it all depends on the dog.

As for price, well if someone finds it too much then they may be better off looking in a shelter. But let me say this, a dog who's owner is willing to go through the entire adoption process and willing to pay for a higher rescue price has a less chance being returned then a quick adoption and low price. I'm not saying that member here who's adopted through a shelter would surrender a dog back to a shelter, since you all seem very conscientious and knowledgeable, I mean in general.

If you are going to do it for business. Just like what the other person said. The nature of the business. You should keep the price under a breeders price. I understand the cost of the rescue. But isnt this charity? You shouldnt be doing the rescue if you dont have enough volunteers, vets willing to participate, foster homes, food donations, etc. I know the rescue I was volunteering for brought in a lot of money. All his food was donated, vet charged him half price, he didnt have a full time job. I had to stop volunteering because I was a little suspicious to what was going on. He also had a couple dogs that were dangerous.

Giny

rowdy ridgeback said:
If you are going to do it for business. Just like what the other person said. The nature of the business. You should keep the price under a breeders price. I understand the cost of the rescue. But isnt this charity? You shouldnt be doing the rescue if you dont have enough volunteers, vets willing to participate, foster homes, food donations, etc. I know the rescue I was volunteering for brought in a lot of money. All his food was donated, vet charged him half price, he didnt have a full time job. I had to stop volunteering because I was a little suspicious to what was going on. He also had a couple dogs that were dangerous.
I personally don't know of any rescuers that do it as a business. Where I'm at they are a 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization. Which means, they do not receive any money as profit, it's all non-profit. And if you are able to find a breeder willing to charge you the same price as what the rescues are charging then I’d be suspicious of this breeders practices.

greyote

Animalia Rescue
In rescue, pets are - in fact - rescued meaning that they are NOT at risk for euthanasia if the rescue is operating properly (within its means). Therefore, rescues can establish whatever strict or lax policies for adopters as they wish. It's their responsibility and their dollars and hard work.

greyote

Animalia Rescue
rowdy ridgeback said:
A dog is a long term commitment, rowdy! Why wouldn't the rescue group want to do a lot to ensure that the dog goes to a home where it will stay for the next 15+ years?

Rescues also have costs. Basic vaccinations, spaying/neutering, is the minimum, then you have the fees for emergencies - emaciated, injured, surgeries, etc. This isn't cheap. A rescue charges appropriate adoption fees to cover past and future rescues.

6 weeks! Puppies shouldn't leave their mother until at least 8 weeks. These pups will most likely have socialization issues which could lead to them being dumped a few months later - which careful screening of an adoptive home could have prevented.

A rescue group is not in place to find dogs for dogless homes, they are there to find homes for homless dogs. Noticable difference.

Members online

No members online now.