PICA anyone?

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Scabs though?? I have a thing for them. Picking at them, squeezing at their sides, prying them off then nibbling at their crunchy edges...

I haven't hurt myself before intentionally to get a scab in order to chew it - but when I have had scabs...they don't stay on very long. Bleh - I know it's pretty sick but it's my semi pica/ocd.
Me too. Though usually I do eat the tiny scabs... I'm a freak and I pick at about any visible imperfection. My feet are peely and it's given me a lot to pick at lately... I'll also pick at pimples, blackheads and ingrown hairs on not only myself but hubby. Poor guy. I feel like there has to be a word for that...

RD

Are you dead yet?
I chew plastic and used to consume huge amounts of ice.

Unrelated to pica, I have an OBSESSION with blackheads, and not just my own. My poor boyfriend can attest to the fact that if I see a blackhead on his skin I'm going to remove it. We've actually gotten into arguments because I start to get twitchy and anxious if I see one on his skin and he doesn't want me touching it. I basically insist on it and it's really creepy and weird but I can't stop. My own skin on my face is damaged from me picking at and squeezing at blackheads too much. The pores on my nose are permanently enlarged from it. It's embarrassing.

I do it with ingrown hairs and pimples too, but blackheads are the most "satisfying" to me I guess? Ugh. :eek:

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Ahhh Stephy! You're into some freaky stuff. I love it. ;) I think I would vom if I ate scab. That's so much better than creating scabs to eat them though, that's like, self mutilation. Your list of stuff is crazy! Condoms!? Feces?! Why.

I have been craving ice water while pregnant... but I'm afraid of chipping teeth chewing it. I'm all about slushies!

This is creepy but when I was a kid and I got scrapes and cuts from playing all the time, I would suck my own blood. Just until it stopped bleeding... but I really liked the flavor.

This is TMI/NSFW/GROSS but I also really really like the flavor of um... Man juices. Lol! Only some though. Some guys taste awful bleh. My bf is the best, even though it weirds him out.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Steph says she's heard of that, not does it! lol

Also my boyfriend wishes I liked man juice... I don't. It makes me wanna gag. I think it's the consistency. =/

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Weird him out? I think that's most mens dream. LOL

I think most smells like chlorine and numbs my tongue.

I creepily love popping things, infections, zits, anything. It's badly gratifying but I also get obsessive while doing them and catch myself not breathing and almost panicking if it's too frustrating to get a release from one.

Yeah.

ACooper

I had never heard the term PICA so of course I googled.

Along with the definition on Wikipedia, they had a picture of the stomach contents of a PICA patient! :eek: It contained 1440 items that were not food! Lots of nails (actual metal nails, not finger nails) and buttons!

You can see it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Glore_Stomach_Display.jpg

Anyway, I don't think I crave (to eat) anything without nutrients. I did use to be an avid nail biter, but I spat them out, never swallowed them.......I don't even do that anymore, I think it was more of a nervous action due to my childhood.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Adrianne that's exactly how I am. I seriously psych myself out over it and then I feel like a headcase but I CAN'T STOP.

xpaeanx

I'm not sure why ice would be considered a non-food item...it's just water, but in crunchy form.

I chew ice and straws... but only while the straw is in my drink, I bite down on it and then suck through. idk why, I get less drink through it that way. lol.

Paige

Let it be
This is TMI/NSFW/GROSS but I also really really like the flavor of um... Man juices. Lol! Only some though. Some guys taste awful bleh. My bf is the best, even though it weirds him out.
Stick the same labels on what I'm about to say

I've totally eaten it on toast before.:rofl1:

Consumption of non-edible man made materials is not uncommon or totally widely heard or either. Sometimes it's a just a craving - some people really like the feel/texture/taste of it - even the sound it might make while chewing it up - everyone has their reasons. For body matter there are alot of theories out there, some say it is due to their body not producing enough of a particular enzyme/vitamin (like in dogs some say as well) so something in re-consuming bodily waste fulfills that internal/sub-atomic "craving" in spite of how...unsavory the materials to do so might be. But like how alot of people have fascinations or are less offended by their own body odor than they would be of others - I've sniffed my armpits and panties and my fingers after sticking them *ahem* down there. While the aromas are still unpleasant - they are interesting at the same time - and it's my personal theory that perhaps it's part of the fascination that drives those in question to consume their own various matters. *shrugs* just sayin'

Oh yeah - slurpees and blood are good too. I'll lick up any blood from a wound/cut/whatever. Mine's quite metallic/dry in taste.

I'm not big on man juice. A penis can be nice once in a while but the actual juice is bleh to me. It's ALWAYS tasted and smelled like pool water/bleach. Pineapple juice does NOT help. My own juice I will taste though and I'm fine with it but not an enthusiast. Not big on the sexual secretions, I'll stick to scabs, blood, foot skin, and pen ends thanks very much.

Ahhh Stephy! You're into some freaky stuff. I love it. ;) I think I would vom if I ate scab. That's so much better than creating scabs to eat them though, that's like, self mutilation. Your list of stuff is crazy! Condoms!? Feces?! Why.

I have been craving ice water while pregnant... but I'm afraid of chipping teeth chewing it. I'm all about slushies!

This is creepy but when I was a kid and I got scrapes and cuts from playing all the time, I would suck my own blood. Just until it stopped bleeding... but I really liked the flavor.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I had never heard the term PICA so of course I googled.

Along with the definition on Wikipedia, they had a picture of the stomach contents of a PICA patient! :eek: It contained 1440 items that were not food! Lots of nails (actual metal nails, not finger nails) and buttons!

You can see it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Glore_Stomach_Display.jpg

Anyway, I don't think I crave (to eat) anything without nutrients. I did use to be an avid nail biter, but I spat them out, never swallowed them.......I don't even do that anymore, I think it was more of a nervous action due to my childhood.
My mom works in a psychiatric ward of a hospital and they occassionally get pica patients. People that had to be monitered all. the. time. or they would go for lightbulbs and such.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
My mom works in a psychiatric ward of a hospital and they occassionally get pica patients. People that had to be monitered all. the. time. or they would go for lightbulbs and such.
Wow that is absolutely awful. :( 453 nails!!!!! I cannot imagine. I'm glad all of us have harmless pica.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I chew plastic a lot and try very hard not to. I'm a lot better than I used to be. I swear a lot is involuntary as I will just suddenly realize I'm chewing something and have no idea how it got there. I try to keep gum around a lot and in my mouth a lot.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Trying to think of what I chew on/eat that is weird. I know I've eaten my own hair before. I also pull hair a lot and like to suck on the bulbs at the hair root sometimes... Ya that's disgusting. Half the time I don't realize I'm doing it until I'm already doing it. Other then that I don't put a lot in my mouth. Unrelated I'm a total picker... Think dermatillomania type picker. I pick at any blemish I find on my skin. I find an odd hair somewhere, I'm going to pull it out or tear the skin around it trying to get enough hold on the hair to get it out. Sometimes I just find a random spot on my skin and start picking at the spot which ends up creating an open wound. Once that scabs its almost near impossible to heal because I can't seem to leave scabs alone. Its a total OCD/anxiety related thing that I constantly do.

crazedACD

I'm definitely a picker, popper. There's nothing more satisfying than popping a big ole zit. I don't really eat anything you shouldn't, though I am a smoker, so that probably is in place of those types of habits.

I do chew on the inside of my lip a bit..no one would ever notice but I definitely bite little chunks off..to put it unpleasantly. I don't know why I do it, and I can go long stretches without doing it.

I'm definitely a picker, popper. There's nothing more satisfying than popping a big ole zit. I don't really eat anything you shouldn't, though I am a smoker, so that probably is in place of those types of habits.

I do chew on the inside of my lip a bit..no one would ever notice but I definitely bite little chunks off..to put it unpleasantly. I don't know why I do it, and I can go long stretches without doing it.
Same. I've noticed that I don't chew on the inside of my lip as much now that I have my snakebites. I just chew on those instead :p I also ALWAYS chew on something, usually the little rings that come on bottles (the piece that connects the cap to the bottle)

Members online