Ma'ii ripped his toenail off

Shakou

And by ripped off, I mean ripped off, as in there is no nail now, just a bloody pink stump of whatever is beneath the nail. I have absolutely no clue how he did it. I came home to find blood all over my couch and Ma'ii limping badly. Upon examining him, I found that and nearly got sick. I've seen all kinds of injuries, but this one made me cringe. All I could think of was a stick being broken in half, and the remaining shards at the end of that stick where it was broken - that's what Ma'ii's nail looked like.

It was late when I discovered this, so I stopped the bleeding, cleaned it, and wrapped it, then called the vet first this this morning. We dropped him off before work and returned later to pick him up. He was sedated, weak, and very unhappy about the "boot" he has to wear for a week, but atleast he's going to be okay.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Ouch! Poor boy! Arnold did that once, he got it caught in a window seal and it was AWFUL. We had to sedate him and soak it so we could cut the tiny piece it was hanging on by and then give him antibiotics and medicated him for a while. It was really bad, I feel your pain.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Yesh Mitsu did that once. I have no idea how she did it, but she did. She hardly made a fuss. I believe Bully dogs feel no pain lol. The hardest part was stopping the bleeding, we had to douse the poor foot in corn starch or whatever for the longest time.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Beau does this every now and then... three or four times now. We've never actually seen the injury, just the aftermath. And it can be very bloody. The first time he got on a bed and there was blood everywhere. The second time we came home to find the dogs in their x-pen just all covered in blood and the floor had blood everywhere. It looked like someone had been murdered in the kitchen. We thought someone had had bloody stools and smeared it around. We were getting ready to take them to the E-vet when we realized he blood was coming from Beau's foot.

We always take him in and get it wrapped. One time it ended up getting infected so we had to take him in several times. It did not heal for weeks. We had him on antibiotics and soaked it in epsom salt. Funny thing is I always hear warnings about dewclaws but he manages to rip out his regular nails and not his dews. He has ripped off one dewclaw but I didn't find it for days (no blood everywhere) and it was all healed up fine, just no nail.

I blame it on the fact that Beau is a hyperactive bouncy dog with no self preservation. I have no idea though. Never had another dog that ripped out their nails.

Here's pics of Beau's really bad one:

2 weeks in.

Wet from being soaked.

Once it finally started healing:

Definitely keep an eye on it. And I'd put him in a cone so he can't lick it.

Members online

No members online now.