Cherries

I dropped a cherry while washing a bag of them and my dog ate it whole. No stem, but the pit was still in it. I know there's cyanide in some fruit pits. Is he going to die? It was only one cherry but he only weighs 10 pounds.

Has anyone's dog ever eatten a cherry pit and lived?

Maxy24

since he is so small I would call your vet NOW. I am reading and some said he will get diarrhea but will be fine, others say he might get constipated on says he might get poisoned and another said as long as the pit did not break he will be fine. So call the vet and ask them what to do. They do contain cyanide.

I really hope everything is alright!!!

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
I don't think it's anything to be worried about to be honest. Cyanide, while deadly, isn't very deadly in small proportions and a cherry isn't going to be enough to kill him. If I recall correctly cyanide works by binding to the hemoglobin and blocking oxygen from being carried to the cells. This doesn't result in death until 60%+ of the hemoglobin in the body is bound. If it's a really small dog then I suppose it's plausible. But really I think your dog will be fine.

If you're concerned or see any strange symptoms then yah, definitely call the vet, but really I think he'll be fine.

Cyanide is formed in rapidly growing forages. We probably consume a bit of it ourselves. But it does dissipate on its own (oxidation) over time out of plant matter.

Also this is assuming that the body can even get into the pit itself. Non-ruminants (humans, dogs, cats, etc) weren't really meant to break down fibers and cellulose, which would be what the outside of the seed would consist of. Ruminants (cows) do a good job of that though. That's why they can eat just grass and survive (well that and the extensive amounts of bacteria in their digestive tract, but that's another topic).

Saje

Island dweller
Mine used to eat the cherries that fell off the tree where we used to live. It get them diarrhea but otherwise they were fine. Passed the pits. I don't know why they liked them so much!

Members online

No members online now.