What kinda worms are these?

**This is really gross**
This morning, i noticed something white, hanging off of apollo's bum, since his tail curls up a little bit, it's alwas showing. I thought it was maybe a grain of rice from being in the kitchen, or perhaps a little bit of fuzz. He didn't like me near his bum-bum too much so i had to pin him down and lift up his tail what i fount was a little worm :( it's in the shape of a half moon...Flat on the bottom with a huge curve, exactly like a half moon, except it was completely flat. I knew it was alive becuase when i saw it, it was crawling. I managed to get it off of him and further examined it becuase i couldn't believe it. I threw it in the garbage and about an hour and a half later i found ANOTHER! and got it off as fast as possible and went out looking for de-worming pills. I'm really good friends with someone who knows alot about dogs and works at the most revered pet shop in our tiny town and she said they were "hook worms" and very dangerous to his intestines causing him not to eat. I believed her considering that he wasn't finishing his dinner. She told me to take him to the vet to get a de-worming pill but he goes in anyhow tommorrow to get neutered. I was going to ask them to do it then, im just curious as to what kind of worm these are and how they catch them so that i can prevent it from happening again in the future. Any advice would be most appreciated

Debi

Could be tapeworm. Ask the vet to check, of course. Also, if you haven't had him checked for heartworm....having the vet do it while he is there for the neutering is a good idea. They'll do it while he is still sleeping. You can then maybe get Interceptor....also kills hookworm, whip worm, and roundworm all in one tablet given once a month. Let us know how he is after seeing the vet tomorrow. I'll be thinking of him! :)

Thank you debi :)
The thing is, i've looked up all different kinds of worms that dogs can get and i didn't see anything that resembled this. he pooped on the rug, a rather large one if i might add which is very un-usual normallly he never does that we let him out and he has a poop in the morning and a poop at night but he really let it go on the carpet and i didn't notice anything in it. As nasty as it sounds, i checked just to make sure. When our old dog had tapeworm it came out in strands... this is just a little worm about..
(___) That big. it was very small, and very white. He's been alledgedly de-wormed from the shelter and i was told that it might just be the worms leaving the body due to the vaccination, but we've had him for over a month they should have came out before and i've never seen this before. i'm definately getting it checked out while he's there. I know he'd be a hard one to feed a big pill like that.... it was hard just to get the worm off of his tushie

It's probably still a tapeworm, just in a different stage of development. Sometimes, when they're excreted in an early stage, they look like grains of rice. Ooops, won't be fixing rice for dinner tonight!

OH yes it helped me keep my dinner down lol Hopefully i wake up in the morning and they are all inside of him still, i don't wanna see anything crawling on the floor... Yucccckkkk....
How would he catch tape worm?

They're carried by fleas. Fleas harbor the eggs, then when the animal bites (and eats) the flea, the eggs somehow anchor in the intestines on the trip through. At least that's the way it was explained to me years and years ago by a family vet.

well that's exactly what happened then... Poo... Oh well, i'll explain it to the vet and she can help take care of the problem physically... So nasty... Poor apollo i feel so bad :(

Fortunately, tapeworms aren't usually too difficult to get rid of, and once you get the flea problem taken care of, you shouldn't have any more tapeworms. Disgusting, creepy-crawly things, aren't they? Ugh!

yes hahahahhaa i was like "ew! what the heck is that!" and then i felt nautious and then i looked at apollo and shook my head and said "you poor thing" and threw it in the garbage
now every 2 hours i yell "SICKLE TAIL" and grab his tail and take a peek to make sure that there aren't anymore. I just yell sickle tail becuase that's the shape it's in when hes up and walking around and it just sounds really funny LOL it's like "doggy pile" almost cuase i have to pounce on him to get his tail up

Debi

Don't worry about him not taking the Interceptor pill.....seems they make it taste quite yummy. My dogs eat it...and look for more, as if it is the biggest treat in the universe. If it's tapeworm, the vet will give you meds..and you can always put the pill in a piece of food you know he loves. I had a little pup that had tapeworm, and after I gave him the pill I put him outside. The worm was killed very quickly.

Debi

Just wondered how everything went with Apollo at the vet. Just thinking you you!! :D

Well he went in on September 21st, which happened to be my birthday as well, what a horrible birthdya gift. He got neutured which has turned out to be a bloody nightmare. he got treated for his pesky fleas and has not been scratching since tuesday. i haven't been on to update becuase my other birthday gift was a game that had a defected disk which shot off of the CD tray and set the whole thing off it's track. I stuck the peices of the tablets for the tapeworm into a peice of hot dog. there were 2 and ahalf pills. so i broke the two full pills up so basically i had five little halves and shoved them into the hot dog. I took three peices, put one broken tablet into each end of the hot dog. and gave it to him, he loooooved it. Then he went outside and threw up. Then he helped himseldf to his bag of dog food and threw up all over the floor. It's been a pukey poopy mess.

Here's what happened:
The vet informed us that if he started to lick the incision to bring him back so they could put a cone on him. well, i'm a light sleeper, specially since we adopted apollo, and i could hear a very faint knawing noise. Turns out the little bugger had licked and knawed so much he was starting to open the wound so i took him over immediately to get the cone, he keeps walking into things and nearly taking us down. a day and a half later there's barely anything left of the cone it's all bent and ruined and barely even able to be distinguished as a cone. There is puss coming out of the incision, im not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I'm checking it frequently to see if it's getting infected, but all i can see is puss, and it looks like the wound is closing up quickly. I'm going to leave it and see how it get's tommorrow. He won't stop pooping in the house though, and he's never done that before! he goes out so much during the day but he just wo'nt seem to go poop outside, the carpet better suits him or something it smells so horrible out, how can i stop this?!?! Mom's starting to get mad, whenever she wants to come down and do some laundry all she can smell is the odour of dog doodie. But that's about it, :) he's starting to recover. I call him "mother mary" becuase when he tries to snuggle up to us while we're in bed and he's on the floor the bottom of the cone stretches and it looks like a veil LOL. we also call him "The Cone" and "Reciever"

Anyhow that's about it lol
My funny story for the day

Guess you'll have to get some more tapeworm pills. He's getting even with you, isn't he? :D

I think I posted this before, or maybe I just e-mailed it to someone. Either way, I'll put a copy of it here just for you, Apollonaro, so you won't feel alone in your misery. This happened last winter, about two weeks before we were supposed to pick up Kharma, so I had to wait an extra two weeks to give Shiva's hide a chance to heal up securely . . .

FEBRUARY 25, 2004:

Shiva managed to get into something last night when we let the dogs out for the last field trip before bed and came back with a 90 degree angled set of gashes in her back. The skin was peeled back in an area as big as a man's hand.

You know the drill: emergency trip to the vet for bandaging up that night, then a trip back this morning for her stitching up. Dr. P brought her out of the anesthesia so we could bring her home right away, so now I have a needy, crying, giant puppy (she weighed 106 pounds last night!), wearing an Elizabethan collar that would fit Andre the Giant, a 24" X 36" kennel pad folded and wrapped around her middle, and a T-shirt tied around her waist to keep the pad from slipping too far.

Last night?s emergency trip qualified as the unholy union of surrealism, brown acid and the theatre of the absurd. The three of us in the cab of the Toyota trucklet; Charlie driving and me trying to keep Shiva still, literally hold her skin on, and keep her out of Charlie's way while he was driving. Did I mention the roads to the vet's office are little twisty country roads? Or that Shiva tends to get carsick on little twisty roads? Or that Charlie's been driving them since he was probably 14 and tends to hurry just a bit? And it snowed all that day? I leave the rest to your most morbid imaginings.

Bimmer's upset and crooning because Shiva's crying. I'm going to be drinking mugs and mugs of Tension Tamer tea. Oops, better not drink too much, though. Shiva can't get that big collar through the little hallway to the bathroom, and that means I'm out of sight, so the howling will commence again.

. . .

It actually got better after that :rolleyes: The bandage gave up and I had a very, very large, active and unhappy puppy crying and bleeding all over the place. I had to take her back to the vet - by myself (now THAT was fun) - to get her re-bandaged and properly trussed up. I was also more than ready to get her some kind of mild sedative so that she could sleep and would quit aggravating the wound and making it bleed. Oh, and I forgot to mention the drainage tube . . .

Dr. P. trussed her up nicely and told me he'd given her a shot that would calm her down, but leave her ambulatory. Yeah. Right. By the time we got home, I had a very, very, sloppy drunk dog on my hands. She could barely stand up, much less walk. To get her into the house I had to pick up her back legs and scoot them forward, then jump around to the front of her before she fell over and pull her front legs forward, hold her steady on the side without stitches and jump to the back and repeat the process. It took fifteen minutes to get her from the car to the front stoop. Then I had to hold get her up two steps. Then through the front door, into the house and settled on the sofa on several layers of old towels.

And we tossed the collar. It literally would not fit through the doors! Thankfully, she was good about not trying to tug on her stitches, although she did pull the drainage tube out a week later. Well, actually she bit it off and I had to carefully fish out the little edge peeking out and pull the rest of it out.

Feel less alone with your terrible, horrible day now? ;)

Last edited:
No mark, it was definately tapeworm :)

Well i haven't seen any icky white worms crawling out of un explainable places lately! I guess the pills reacted before he threw the hot dog up... He broke his chain the other day, thought he was a gonner but he heard me and steve calling for him like crazy and came around, he's not hard to miss with a big cone around his head. We had to get a bigger one becuase he had it so bent that he could actually manuever it and lick the incision anyhow. We took him BACK to the vet and another 50 dollars later we had a collar 2 times bigger than the last one, lol, and some cream that made apollo make strange faces when he tastes it. I dont even think we NEED the collar, he hates the taste of the cream to much, he cracks me up. My computer is in getting fixed, i should be on more fluently when it FINALLY get's out tonight, :D Glad to hear that Shiva's alright now, it's strange as to what dogs can get in to :S

Brattina88

Renee750il said:
It's probably still a tapeworm, just in a different stage of development. Sometimes, when they're excreted in an early stage, they look like grains of rice. Ooops, won't be fixing rice for dinner tonight!
LoL I don't know anything about worms because they gross me out. I can't even read about them. Somehow, though, I manage to tell the vet its the worms that look like rice, or the worms that look like spagetti :eek:

Members online

No members online now.