Tinkerbells day at the park

tinksmama

Well, I took tinkerbell to a dog park today, met a couple of friends there. My little darling is so antisocial with other dogs, I basically had to keep her in the small dog area,only meeting others through the fence :eek: If I let her out, all these nice, big,interested dogs would come to say hi,and she'd turn into a snarling maniac! :eek: The 2 friends small dogs,she's met before,and was fine with them...
So...unfortunately, she caught the eye of a very friendly JRT, who was attracted like a magnet to her- needless to say,Tinkerbell was fearsome indeed, :rolleyes: if I tried to give it another go outside the small area, this JRT was all over her with curiosity... I'm not sure if i'll bring her again, she gets along well with my bigger dog,and my Moms dogs,and my friends 2 poodles, some of the other dogs she'd let them sniff her, but most of them(think 85 pound GSD) she'd just scare away- I wish that cute little JRt had been more intimidated..:D I was amazed at all the nice doggies we met today,every one of them so good natured!(except my darling)
I shouldn't complain too much, she's really excellent with kids and people...
I know it's fear,for her. it wasn't always this way, it started after we waited in line at petco for shots, and there were a lot of noisy dogs around us- now she is very afraid. One on one, it's usually ok, after she has time to adjust...

Poor Tink! It sounds like she might start learning to deal with other dogs if you could go to the park when there are just a few there, especially if they are with people who would be willing to help you out and walk their dogs gradually closer to Tink, just a bit at a time, so that she might get used to the idea and figure out that she might have a bit of fun and that she's not going to get a shot just because she's around the other dogs.

tinksmama

thanks for the replies, I hadn't thought of the shots being equated with noisy dogs, she also got nasty wormer shoved down her throat that day too...
Ummm, I'm trying to figure out the best way to react when she gets like that- All the other dogs were so cool, not one short tempered bone in their bodies-I was happy for that, so when she got started, I'd usually pet the other dog,and tell it how nice it was,so she could see that I accepted it and wasn't afraid...
I also kept her on leash when any others came near, and I'd usually have to from necessity sort of hold her in place, I didn't want her to actually snip anyones nose for real, then they might get ticked off... I also allowed her to sort of take cover beside my feet while i petted the other dog-
It seems the only thing that was ok, was through the puppy fence, where she'd be ugly at first, then all licky nice, but without the barrier, she'd be miserable- kind of beside the point if all she'd do is look through the fence....
Anything diff I should be doing to react?

Members online

No members online now.