Homemade dog treats?

Dogs6

Plus One
I'm think about making some dog treats to save me the ridiculous prices of pet stores (and to transition the dogs over to not always working for a tennis ball).

So what are your and your dogs favourite recipes?

Maxy24

I like to thinly slice the venison my uncle decides he isn't going to use, smash it thinner, and then bake it slowly on a lower heat to make jerky-like treats (well they're supposed to be jerky-like, I do them a bit faster/on higher heat than is recommended so they are a bit more crispy). 100% meat and Tucker loves them. I just break them into pieces to use as rewards and I can keep them in my pockets because they aren't wet or messy (though they probably give me a slight odor lol). They do take a fair amount of prep time though, cutting up all that meat, and the slices shrink quite a bit. I've heard using a dehydrator works best but I don't have one. I probably wouldn't use them for a training session because I feel like you'd go thoruhg them too fast for all the time it takes to make them. I like using them as rewards for when we are out, especially for coming at the park.

Red.Apricot

I make rice-flour biscuit cracker things. I change them up a lot, but basically it's a couple cups of rice flour with an egg, some oil (sometimes fat from meat we've cooked), and a liquid (once it was pureed carrots and apple, often it's the water from boiling livers, sometimes it's a can of sardines), and sometimes some peas. I mix it all up, and if I don't add baking powder, I roll it flat on a cookie sheet (real thin) and cut it into treats. Then I bake it at 325 until it looks done. If I do add baking powder, I press it into a glass pan, and bake it at 325, and it comes out puffier and more crumbly.

I also take the livers (and sometimes hearts and gizzards) from the water, after they're boiled, and bake them at like 225 until they're sort of dry and chewy.

bitme

I just get meat and cut into small pieces. In certain exercises one needs to use low value treats, then I cut up a carrot or apple or just use kibble.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Sprinkle garlic powder on chicken hearts/gizzards and bake them until they're golden & dried in the oven at *300. Dogs will do ANYTHING for these! & organs are super cheap. Liver disgusts me way too much to even handle it.

I also mix up oatmeal, an egg & baking powder with a couple spoonfuls of peanut butter, some honey, an apple and sprinkle grated cheese on top. My dogs love those cookies. Bake them at *300 for 20-30 mins.

Michiyo-Fir

I use a mixer and mix liver, gizzard, hearts and a can of pumpkin. Make that into shapes, and dry it into little cookies for Nia.

The other thing I do a lot is dry meat for example chicken or beef jerky in the oven overnight.

Members online