Blurry pictures in low/inside light

Sweet72947

Squishy face
So I have a little Nikon Coolpix P&S, 12 Megapixels, 3.6X zoom. I have difficulty getting a decent picture when I am taking them inside, even if the light is good inside. Most of my pictures are outside in the sunlight since I am taking pics of dogs, but when I want to take pics of cats in the cattery, I struggle with getting anything not blurry! Also, if I take pics when its nearing dusk and the sun is no longer super bright in the sky, my outside pics turn out blurry!

I usually have it set on portrait (if taking action shots, I set it to "sports"), and adjust the flash settings to my needs. I have tried it set on "night" and "dusk" and any setting that looks like it might help, but nothing works.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Your shutter speed isn't fast enough to stop the motion. At some point. there just is not enough light. You'll want to find the setting that allows the widest aperture (smallest number) and the highest ISO. You might have to check the manual to see which settings those are.

If that still does not work, you need more light. You likely have a little flash, which might work (though cats can get big glowing eyes from those!). You might even find an inexpensive slave flash that goes off when the main one does to add more light.

Snark

Mutts to you
If you're not using a tripod, you might want to consider that, too - especially for the indoor shots.

Members online