Can't take the pee anymore!

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Abrams is about ready to drive me NUTS.

Every single time I let him out to pee, if he has even the hint of a full bladder, he will whizz all over my carpet. Every. Single. Time. I am about ready to either kill myself or the dog. He'll come and tell me he has to go outside. Okay. So I walk to the door to let him out...and he starts peeing. ON THE CARPET. If he has to wait even a split second to go out of the door, he will just pee EVERYWHERE. Even if I manage to get him out the door without him peeing all over the place, he'll start to pee as he's walking through the doorway and pee ON MY FOOT. Or the cement. Or the welcome mat. Doesn't matter.

What in the heck is his problem? He's done this from almost day one, and I thought it would get better as his bladder control got better. No. He is six months old and he is STILL doing this. He doesn't have accidents in the house otherwise, and has no issues whatsoever holding it in the crate while I'm gone.

The only way I can manage to get him to NOT pee all over the place is if I let him bolt through the door. Which I can't always do, as my yard isn't fenced, and he can't always be loose outside due to neighbors/loose cats/stupid rabbits/etc. If I take the time to put a slip lead over his head (which takes 0.5 seconds) he will pee on the carpet. If I make him sit or down while I open up the door to grab the chain to attach to him to let him out, he'll pee while he is sitting or downing.

I can NOT keep doing this. He is ruining the carpet. I'm having to shampoo my carpets every few days just to keep it from reeking of dog **** in my apartment.

What can I do to make him stop? What am I doing wrong? Why does he think that this is acceptable? I think a part of it is a submissive/excited urination issue, but he CANNOT keep doing it. My choices now are either let the stupid dog out to pee every 20 minutes, or clean my carpets five times a day. Neither are acceptable.

Grab

Will he pee with a belly band on? You could take it off once he's leashed and outside

I think he probably just needs more time to mature, but in the meantime I think the belly band is a good idea.

Squash would pee on the way to outside too. I would say up until he was about 9-10 months old, but not as consistently as you're describing. It was more like, he was busy doing something then jumped up and made a beeline for the back door peeing all along the way or just lose it right in front of the door. Argh.

*blackrose

I think he probably just needs more time to mature, but in the meantime I think the belly band is a good idea.

Squash would pee on the way to outside too. I would say up until he was about 9-10 months old, but not as consistently as you're describing. It was more like, he was busy doing something then jumped up and made a beeline for the back door peeing all along the way or just lose it right in front of the door. Argh.
This gives me hope.

When he has a semi-full bladder, he just acts like he has no bladder control what so ever. Any kind of excitement (be it playing with a toy, getting ready to go outside, seeing a person, etc., etc.) equals PEE EVERYWHERE when his bladder isn't completely empty.

I will have to get a belly band. Because this is really driving me nuts.

It isn't possible to move his crate. And he honestly has lost the habit of guzzling water and then peeing 50x afterwards, so I don't think rationing his water will help. He's doing GREAT on housetraining and doesn't actively have accidents...he just urinates in the process of going outside because he is a dumb boy.

Xandra

Can you distract him with a toy or some food? Like, keep some really good treats nearby and when he wants to go out, start waving it around, keep his attention, make the slip loop really large, lure his head through it, wave the treat with one hand, open the door with the other etc

*blackrose

Can you distract him with a toy or some food? Like, keep some really good treats nearby and when he wants to go out, start waving it around, keep his attention, make the slip loop really large, lure his head through it, wave the treat with one hand, open the door with the other etc
Brilliant. Will totally have to try.

krissy

No advice, just sympathy. Kili had recurrent UTIs from the time we brought her home until 7 months old when she had surgery to correct a congenital abnormality in her urinary tract. Then she was incontinent for about a month following the surgery and had to be on medication to control that. Finally at 8-9 months old I was able to have a dog that wasn't receiving medication several times per day and things have been good. EXCEPT... she will be able to hold her bladder for 8-10 hours in her crate no problem. But have her loose in the house while you're home and I swear she asks to go out EVERY HOUR. It drives me nuts. So I sympathize with not wanting to let a dog out that frequently. It's totally not cool. Hopefully some of the tips others gave will help you regain some sanity!

*blackrose

I've checked his urine, and he has a high pH (9!) and some white blood cells seen on the dip stick, but when I looked at it under the microscope it looked great. No bacteria, no cells, no crystals, just some debris from being a free catch. Vet doesn't think he has an infection, but would recommend starting him on a urine acidifier.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Could something in his food be causing that? Maybe give him some like, apple cider vinegar to bring his pH levels down?

*blackrose

Could something in his food be causing that? Maybe give him some like, apple cider vinegar to bring his pH levels down?
I have no idea. He's eating 4Health Salmon and Potato mixed with 4Health Turkey and Potato (the bag had been damaged unloading it from the truck and I got half off! Whoot!). That's really all he gets, besides the occasional treat.

Ingredients:
Salmon, ocean fish meal, potatoes, peas, cracked pearled barley, egg product, millet, canola oil, tomato pomace, natural flavor, flaxseed, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, dried kelp, carrots, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberries, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-Carnitine, chondroitin sulfate, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein 25.0% (min.), Crude Fat 14.0% (min.), Crude Fiber 3.0% (max.), Moisture 10.0% (max.), Zinc 150 mg/kg (min.), Selenium 0.4 mg/kg (min.), Vitamin E 150 IU/kg (min.), Omega-6 Fatty Acids* 2.5% (min.), Omega-3 Fatty Acids* 0.5% (min.), Glucosamine* 300 mg/kg (min.), Chondroitin Sulfate* 100 mg/kg (min.),
Ingredients:
Turkey, Turkey Meal, Whole Potato, Poultry Meal, Dried Peas, Tapioca, Pea Protein, Poultry Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Whole Flaxseed, Natural Flavor, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Choline Chloride, Manganese Proteinate, L-Carnitine, Copper Proteinate, Niacin, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Folic Acid.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min) 28.0%, Crude Fat (min) 15.0%, Crude Fiber (max) 4.0%, Moisture (max) 10.0%, Zinc (min) 200 mg/kg, Selenium (min ) 0.4 mg/kg, Vitamin E (min), 300 IU/kg, *Omega-6 (min) 2.5%, *Omega-3 (min) 0.4%, *Glucosamine (Naturally occurring) (min) 300 mg/kg, *Chondroitin Sulfate (Naturally occurring) (min) 100 mg/kg
I could certainly try some apple cider vinegar. Or I was going to pick up some cranberry supplements. The dog and I can share them, as I'm prone to UTIs. :p

Members online

No members online now.