Trick of the week: Retrieve!

SaraB

It's that time again! I've been reminded that I'm supposed to be posting these trick of the week things, good thing too, I totally forgot!

This week's trick is a retrieve!

Option 1: Formal retrieve of a standard object (dumbell, toy, etc)
We all know what this one looks like. Dog starts in heel position, handler throws object out, releases dog to retrieve. Dog brings object into the front position, sits and holds the object until the handler takes it and then finishes into heel position.

Option 2: Retrieve a difficult object
This can be done in the formal format posted above or just a return to hand. Difficult objects tend to be metal, heavy or difficult to grasp. They can also be food! If you really want to impress, train your dog to retrieve a hotdog.

Option 3: Put an object inside of a different object
This is a fun twist, train your dog to put a spoon into a bowl, laundry into a laundry basket or trash into the trash can. Make it challenging by increasing the distance between you (the handler) and the designated receptacle.

Option 4: Bring me a beer (or age appropriate beverage...)
In this one, your dog has to open the fridge, grab the beer, give you the beer and then close the fridge. Chain those behaviors!!

Reasons why you should teach this? Um, because we all want to be lazy once in a while!!

Ready... steady... GO!

Yay! I was just thinking about these trick of the week things and wondered if another was going to be posted. I think I might have some work to do for this one!

Sekah

The Monster.
:) :) :)

Yay!

I'll probably be focusing on challenge #2. I trained a hot dog hold ages ago with Cohen, but never worked up to a retrieve. I think we could do it, but it'll take some work.

I might try teaching the Chihuahua a retrieve. She has zero training background for it, so it might be interesting.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
OMG yay! I was so sad when a new trick wasn't posted :( lol

Okay, so number 4 is the one I really want to train, but I think it may be a horrible idea to teach Talon to open the fridge. I can just imagine being gone and coming home to an empty fridge! :yikes: :rofl1:

So I think I'll focus on 3 :)

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
Definitely doing this! Em is a retrieving machine, Copper has the foundation for retrieves, and Bloo occasionally decides she likes to bring me my chapstick (???).

chelsey

This was Java's vid from Silvia Trkman's trick graduation but she loved any retrieving trick so those are the ones we worked on the most (lots of clips at beginning of the vid!). Java just turned 1 yesterday, this vid was compiled in May. Her stacking rings are her most favourite, trick I think. That trick is based on stacking bowls, and putting things into things. I have to hold the post because it is light plastic and wobbly. I should get a heavier base made for her or one I can stick in the ground...hmmm Dog Ring "toss" lol. Maybe I'll do that for the SPCA walk demo.

http://youtu.be/mz6KrFIxxtc
[YOUTUBE]mz6KrFIxxtc[/YOUTUBE]

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Since the kitchen is gated off anyway, I think we will attempt #4, should be amusing.

ETA
Was going to start with taking/giving the bottle, but too much plastic crashing to the floor for people napping, so we went with learning the horrible trick of opening the fridge. I tied a dishcloth to the handle, and started with my foot in the door so I could mark any time he made it move backwards a tiny bit. He caught on pretty fast but was pretty on and off about how much force he was putting into the tug, so then I started rewarding him inside the fridge, that forced swinging it open far enough that it stayed open (no dogs were hit with the door in the making of this training session, don't worry haha) for him to get his treat.

By the end of the session he could open it from completely closed and swing it all the way open.

I think the hardest part of this is definitely going to be learning to retrieve to hand, and not stealing snacks while on the job, lol.

Last edited:

Brattina88

Maddie used to retrieve the remote on command... Oh the possibilities... I will have to think on this one, and torture Bailey ;) haha

AliciaD

On second thought...
I wonder if I could teach Cam to retrieve my sneakers. She's so used to grabbing them and running in the oposite direction.

It's either that or putting toys in toy box.

k9krazee

Apparently "retrieve" wasn't exciting enough to warrant any updates ;)

I haven't worked on it at all --- but I'm planning on tackling #3.

I taught my dog Jack to get a beer from the fridge --- I'm trying to find a video! It's one of the long term goals I have for Crossbone and now that we're actively working on holding and picking up objects it might actually be an obtainable dream!! (Well, except for his obsession with drinking containers of any kind and his love of beer)

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
I've been too all over the place to get it done - today looks like it's going to be rainy, I'll see what I can do!

k9krazee

Crossbone's ring stacking isn't quite as good as Java's, but here's our progress so far!!!

(well, youtube sucks and ate my video, so I'll have to post it later).

Last edited:
I've really slacked on this training. :( Going to have to start back up. I think the hammer is too heavy/awkward for them. I'll try something else.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Haven't been working on it since it just got too darn hot (no A/C in the kitchen), and Wesley loses brain cells fast in the heat. Gonna start back on it tomorrow, we were making good progress!

Members online