BYB vs Well-Bred

Picklepaige

So, this is just something I'm curious about.

Are there any breeds that you find the "byb version" more attractive than the "well-bred" version?

I think the typical "byb" chihuahuas and pomeranians are much easier on the eyes than the well-bred versions. The apple head and bulging eyes of traditional well-bred chihuahuas creep me out....and I think byb pomeranians are just so much better looking than the well-bred ones, who look kind of fake to me.

Also, I have seen some extremely handsome German shepherds appear at the shelter I volunteer at. I'd take one of those over the "American Hocktrotters" anyday!

So, what about you?

:popcorn:

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Depends. In GSDs I'm not a fan of the Am showlines. Some of the German lines are pretty bad too. But my favorite type looks-wise is DDR working lines. So they're definitely not badly bred.

My favorite chi head is Romeo, lol. I like that he looks distinctly chihuahua without having a really extreme head. Some chis now seem to have no nose and a really bulbous looking head.

I love those 20 lb throwback spitzy looking poms. Not gonna lie.

Border collies I tend to like BYB looks better than most showlines. Too heavy and too fluffy. The BYB lines tend to look more like the working/sport lines which I prefer looks wise.

Shelties depend. Trey (show bred) was gorgeous but so was Nikki(Byb). Some of the showlines again are getting too puffy for my tastes and the faces are getting too... strange?

Can't think of any more off the top of my head at the moment.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I think its not about being "well bred", its about breeders who for show or other reasons take the standard to its EXTREME.

as for chihuahuas, romeo is well bred, and he certainly doesn't have bulging eyes and his head is shaped pretty normal.. so its not really a well bred thing. once again, its a thing for breeders who take the standard to the EXTREME
I want my chihuahua to look like a CHIHUAHUA.
.. not like this.

There are byb chi breeders where you get the above, there are normal good ones where you get a chi that fits the standard but the dogs look normal and then you do run into those that breed to the EXTREME, so you have tiny short dogs with big apple heads and bulging eyes..

as for BYB dogs, German shepherds are the only thing I can think of, but thats only in comparison with extreme american show line breeders (hips on the ground). Most working line breeders have some BEAUTIFUL dogs that are normally shaped lol

Matlese would be another one! though I think its just because I don't like the "show coat"lol same goes for shih tzus, but I think its just the pet haircut I like better

Cocker spaniels, I tend to like the byb bred look a bit better for some odd reason. Though I haven't really met too many well bred cockers, just seen show dogs

umm.. English bulldogs. I just love em'.. especially the goofy odd looking byb ones

Being "well bred" for me is a dog with health tested, healthy parents/grandparents with great temperaments.

I just try to stay away from breeders who breed for extreme anything. wether its head shape, crazy coat, shortness, tallness, or any size extreme

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Just as long as everyone knows I'm not condoning BYBs, I'll bite. . .

BYB chows often have more open faces, which I find more attractive.
BYB GSDs can obviously have even more issues than well bred ones, but even if they don't fit the standard, seeing a GSD that doesn't have its butt dragging on the ground is nice.

I'll add more later.

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
PEKES! I find lots of pekes without the crazy heavy double coats on petfinder all the time - when I get a peke, it'll be off petfinder. Plus I see a lot of like parti-color ones... they're so freaking cute! lol

There's a very big difference between "well bred" and bred for extremes. Most BYB GSD's i see are huge, way out of standard and don't have a lot of the traits that make a GSD a gsd. and I am talking about the mental make up.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
PEKES! I find lots of pekes without the crazy heavy double coats on petfinder all the time - when I get a peke, it'll be off petfinder. Plus I see a lot of like parti-color ones... they're so freaking cute! lol
That's another one I forgot.

elegy

overdogged
I'd take one of those over the "American Hocktrotters" anyday!
i guess it depends on your definition of "well bred". i don't consider the excessively exaggerated showline GSDs seen in the american showring to *be* well bred. successful in the showring and potentially ridiculously expensive, yes, but functional?

i don't like the way bench bred border collies look at all. same thing as the shepherds- they might do well in the showring, but are they functional? i'll stick with my coyote collie who would be laughed out of the breed ring.

golden retrievers, labs, most lines of amstaffs, many lines of UKC apbts- they're empty, overdone, fat shells of what the breed is supposed to be. so in a lot of cases i *do* prefer what i'm seeing come from bybers, but there are also responsible breeders out there breeding fantastic dogs who would not succeed in the breed ring but are coming from tested, proven stock.

Zhucca

Lab Love
I prefer the BYB version of Neo's. I don't know what working bred neo's look like but ever since I met Ellie the neo when I first started working the daycare I was sold on the look of byb neo's. Lol

Less wrinkles is more..

vs

Unlike everyone else I prefer the show type pom .. :lol-sign: But still like the byb look.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Oh and I just want a goldendoodle soo bad!!

Oh and I also very much prefer the show type pom.

Dekka

Just try me..
i think part of your definition is wrong. Byb dogs don't have a 'look' they way show bred or working bred dogs do. I have seen as many hideous GSDs as I have 'well bred ones' (and no the horrid over done ones are not well bred) Yes some byb dogs are very attractive, but as there is no 'type' its kind of insulting to those with the breed to say I prefer the look of all the fugly dogs over yours.

I have a Smudge on my lap (MP is visiting) I have never been a cocker person but man he is cute. The droopy eyed curly coated byb cockers I have met are not very esthetically pleasing. I have met ONE really adorable byb cocker in a pet store. But the really adorable ones seem to be the rarity not the norm.

I love the look of a nice working GSD, or BC. Some byb dogs also end up balanced and nice yes but not as often as the working dogs do. I don't like the excess coats on working dogs (like bc or shelties) but I also don't like the byb versions I see.. I do like the working bred ones that have useful conformation and non extreme coats.

(and don't get me started on byb JRTs.. I have had people say they prefer the look of the short bandy legged JRTs frequently. It drives me nuts that people would prefer an incorrect and less functional version and say it. Just realize that this thread could hurt the feelings or those who do work to keep their breed correct.. ie moderate to here that you prefer the products of those who don't care at all)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I think as long as people are polite then it's not really a big deal... there's a difference in saying 'papillons are ugly' and I prefer oversized papillons. I actually know several people that have rescued byb paps and really love the extra size they tend to have. Actually I wouldn't mind it myself some days.

Maybe BYB and well bred are wrongly defined but there are some breeds where the average pet dog looks very different from the average show dog.

Paige

Let it be
I like dogs that are functional with well rounded conformation. Be they from a shelter, a show breeder, a working breeder etc. Doesn't matter.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Izzie's a BYB dog i'm 99% sure. She didn't come with any CKC papers or anything, i should really call her breeder one of these days. Meh.

I love Izzie, she's beautiful. While she'd never win in the show ring, she can function like a normal dog.

Chai is a BYB dog. She too is beautiful and closer to "show type" than either Ruby or Izzie. She's got a big head, big chest, shorter body and shorter legs and smushier nose. She's still functional though and LOVES to just run.

Ruby is a BYB dog. She's my queen bee. Love her to bits and she's so adorable. She's got skinny legs a small head, a loose tail, and had patellar luxation and a slight elongated palate nothing to worry too much about though. She too loves to run but can't do it as much as she'd like, she does like to hop around and prance and has a killer personality.

I like the look of show bred pugs... But i like the way Izzie looks more. It's hard to say, bench pug look so unhealthy a lot of the time.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I think as long as people are polite then it's not really a big deal... there's a difference in saying 'papillons are ugly' and I prefer oversized papillons. I actually know several people that have rescued byb paps and really love the extra size they tend to have. Actually I wouldn't mind it myself some days.

Maybe BYB and well bred are wrongly defined but there are some breeds where the average pet dog looks very different from the average show dog.
Agreed. I had a 10 minutes argument with my mom at a dog show about whether or not the dog we were looking at was a golden retriever. She insisted that if was a different breed that the goldens she had seen--lol.

The average bench lab does look very different to the average "pet bred" lab, and pet breds seem to look different than field breds (although not as different as the difference between show and pet). Actually, there are a number of people that don't even identify Jack as a lab--they think he's a chessie because of his coat (although he is not as large as many bench breds and his head is moderate--not rottish).

I honestly can't say a prefer one type over the other aesthetically. As far as looks go I like a moderate looking dog that is pleasing to the eye.

Picklepaige

What I mean by byb is basically a dog that would show up in my local shelter.

And there's nothing wrong with preferring the look of a "low quality" dog over the look of a well-bred one...heck, well-bred pekinese are, in my opinion, some of the fugliest dogs on the planet, but some of the ones I've seen come into my shelter are outstandingly gorgeous.

Just because you think something is pretty and pleasing to the eye, doesn't mean I or everyone else does.

Inga

For me, I prefer the look of a lot of pet quality small breed dogs. Not that they are not from good breeders but I like them in puppy cut hair do's instead of show coats.

I wouldn't give you 2 cents for some of the small dogs in the show ring with the giant foo foo hair. That goes for the Poodles and some of the long coated dogs in the ring. I just do not get into the giant hair.

As far as Rottweiler's go, I do NOT think the back yard bred dogs are very good looking at all. I don't think all of the dogs that make it into the ring are that great either. I guess I am fussiest of all about my favorite breed. If I saw my own rescue boy Oliver on the streets and didn't know him I would think "eeeek!" but I know him and I love him very much. His personality makes up for all of his many many faults but I still wish he were well bred because then he wouldn't have all of the health issues. It is so sad to see him suffer because of his crappy conformation.

Dekka

Just try me..
But who is to say the average show dog is well bred? (many show breeders I know are little more than small scale puppymillers that show)

To me well bred means a good example of the breed. So that means no over done coats, extreme phenotypes etc.

If someone wanted to say I prefer the moderate look to the show ring look then you could have this conversation with out saying I think a members well bred Cockers just aren't as attractive as byb ones.. And with out coming out as condoning byb (even when you say you aren't people who are into buying byb dogs will see this thread as a 'see byb dogs are better' and at any given time there are many more guests viewing chaz than members'

I would love for there to be no byb JRTs in rescue needing homes, with wonky legs, and funny conformation. But as long as people prefer that look, and promote that look there will be those dogs in rescue... It has nothing to do with politeness really.

Members online

No members online now.